BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1040 on: 8 Jul 2015, 11:03 am »
Ah ok thanks for confirming. I could have sworn I read something somewhere recently on the forums that this was possible. I must have misread or misremembered :)

You may be thinking of the BDA DAC which offers that option ?

james

Rod_S

« Reply #1041 on: 8 Jul 2015, 02:21 pm »
Yeah that's probably what it was.

Rocket

« Reply #1042 on: 10 Jul 2015, 01:58 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thoroughly enjoying my Bdp 1 and definitely not experiencing buyers regret.  Just having a couple of minor issues which I think is related to the usb hard drive.  I'm using mPad with my iPod with good results. 

The issue I'm experiencing is between tracks I have an intermittent problem when I hear a moderate level  pop or distortion.  Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Cheers Rod
« Last Edit: 10 Jul 2015, 03:12 pm by Rocket »

Wapiti

« Reply #1043 on: 10 Jul 2015, 02:03 pm »
James:

A few people I know have issues with a BDP-2 not connecting with a PS Audio DAC via USB.  The latest firmware for this DAC needs to see 5V on the VBUS line to connect (this resolves an issue where it had to be occasionally rebooted to reconnect with some computers). 

Query: Does the BDP-1/2 follow the USB standard and output 5 volts on the VBUS line?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1044 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:17 pm »
James:

A few people I know have issues with a BDP-2 not connecting with a PS Audio DAC via USB.  The latest firmware for this DAC needs to see 5V on the VBUS line to connect (this resolves an issue where it had to be occasionally rebooted to reconnect with some computers). 

Query: Does the BDP-1/2 follow the USB standard and output 5 volts on the VBUS line?

Will ask engineering.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1045 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:19 pm »
James:

Yes

ttsto

« Reply #1046 on: 10 Jul 2015, 03:41 pm »
Hi Guys,

Thoroughly enjoying my Bdp 1 and definitely not experiencing buyers regret.  Just having a couple of minor issues which I think is related to the usb hard drive.  I'm using mPad with my iPod with good results. 

The issue I'm experiencing is between tracks I have an intermittent problem when I hear a moderate level  pop or distortion.  Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

Cheers Rod

Hi.
I remember reading something similar here, maybe is related to the DAC? what firmware you have and what is your dac?

Rocket

« Reply #1047 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:02 am »
Hi,

Thank you for the information and this could be the issue I'm experiencing.  I would say though that this occurs when I'm playing a whole album where once or twice I hear a popping sound or loud distortion between tracks.  I would have thought that the frequency is the same on the entire album though?

I'm also trying to figure out how to access the settings on Bryston Max but it is asking for a password.  It requires a Name and password.

Firmware: S0.98 2011-04-01

My dac is an Eastern Electric Minimax Dac Plus.

Thank you for your help.  The only sad thing is that when I went through my hundreds of cd's I thought it was only worthwhile to rip 72 albums as the majority were compressed and poor quality sounding.

Cheers Rod

ttsto

« Reply #1048 on: 11 Jul 2015, 05:37 am »
First, you run on very old firmware. I would strongly recommend to upgrade your firmware, maybe Bryston can help you on this. There was a link pointing to 1.75 firmware, but I can't find it...Or even upgrade for the new 2.14 firmware that is developed for BDP2. Then see if problem is there anymore

Second, you should do a health check for your usb drive; if it is as old as the firmware, maybe there are some issues there also

Maybe you can also clarify more: are this distortions random or each time for the same tracks?  Also, the pops occurs in the silence between tracks of at the first seconds of a new track? I experienced distortions at beginning of new tracks in some particular conditions due to high processor usage, but not with CD quality, only with high resolution files.

Rocket

« Reply #1049 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:47 am »
Hi,

Thanks for your help.  I bought the Bryston Bdp 1 on special and presumed (older firmware) it was older stock as it is not the USB only version.  The distortion occurs between the tracks and not during.  I did have some problems formatting the usb hard drive so that could also be a problem. 

Really I wasn't expecting it to sound as good as it does.  I hope  Bryston is going to be able to do some upgrades in the future as the BDP 1 is all I need.

Cheers

Rod

ttsto

« Reply #1050 on: 11 Jul 2015, 08:59 am »
I share your opinion
I also have BDP1 since 2012 and is all I need. Bryston provides firmware updates regularly and my BDP is at firmware S2.14 2015-06-08, same as for BDP2
I have large music library stored on a NAS and I use MPDroid app on my phone / Cantata on my PC as remote controls.

Rocket

« Reply #1051 on: 12 Jul 2015, 11:47 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm also trying to figure out how to access the settings on Bryston Max but it is asking for a password.  It requires a Name and password.  I can't access settings on Bryston Max because of this.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Rod

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1052 on: 12 Jul 2015, 11:52 am »
Hi Guys,

I'm also trying to figure out how to access the settings on Bryston Max but it is asking for a password.  It requires a Name and password.  I can't access settings on Bryston Max because of this.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers Rod

bryston in both - lower case

James

Rocket

« Reply #1053 on: 12 Jul 2015, 12:17 pm »
Hi James,

Thank you for your help.

Regards

Rod

brystoned

« Reply #1054 on: 17 Jul 2015, 11:04 pm »
james

can original BDP-1 be connected to USB DAC via USB cable ?

if so will connecting this way bypass sound card ?  :scratch:

ed

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #1055 on: 17 Jul 2015, 11:25 pm »
james

can original BDP-1 be connected to USB DAC via USB cable ?

if so will connecting this way bypass sound card ?  :scratch:

ed

Hi Ed

Yes it can and that bypasses the sound card.

james

jazz4u2

« Reply #1056 on: 24 Jul 2015, 06:20 am »
Hello,
I recently upgraded my BDP-1 firmware to S2.16 2016-06-19, and since then the player has been periodically freezing, requiring a database refresh or reboot.  I just noticed in the revision notes that the MPD version 0.19.9 included in the firmware is not compatible with the BDP-1.  I'm thinking this may be the cause of the freeze issues.  Can anyone advise how to revert to a previous firmware version that includes an MPD version that is compatible with BDP-1?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1057 on: 24 Jul 2015, 12:22 pm »
Hello,
I recently upgraded my BDP-1 firmware to S2.16 2016-06-19, and since then the player has been periodically freezing, requiring a database refresh or reboot.  I just noticed in the revision notes that the MPD version 0.19.9 included in the firmware is not compatible with the BDP-1.  I'm thinking this may be the cause of the freeze issues.  Can anyone advise how to revert to a previous firmware version that includes an MPD version that is compatible with BDP-1?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

There are multiple versions of MPD included with the firmware, 0.19.9 is one of three.  You should place he BDP into service mode and email us the service id.

Cheers
Chris

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #1058 on: 26 Jul 2015, 03:13 am »
Chris,

I just recently moved and in my previous home I had a cat5 run to the audio system
from my office where my apple computer is.

I have not done that in the new house and was wanting a quick way to get iphone
control of my bdp2, so I brought my old ethernet router into the living room, plugged it
in and hooked the bdp2 up to it, but nothing I try gets me access....

Does the ethernet router HAVE to be connected to a computer?  I don't see why it would
since I'm not using anything internet based.....

Thanks

Eric

zuluwarrior0760

« Reply #1059 on: 26 Jul 2015, 06:33 am »
I got it working.  apparently i was connecting to the guest feature of the router and it didn't like that......
It is great to know that you don't necessarily have to string cat5 all over your attic.
Now I'm going to be looking for a super tiny ethernet router that can sit behind the bdp2.....
Maybe Bryston needs to make the future BDP wifi and bluetooth enabled.....

Chris,

I just recently moved and in my previous home I had a cat5 run to the audio system
from my office where my apple computer is.

I have not done that in the new house and was wanting a quick way to get iphone
control of my bdp2, so I brought my old ethernet router into the living room, plugged it
in and hooked the bdp2 up to it, but nothing I try gets me access....

Does the ethernet router HAVE to be connected to a computer?  I don't see why it would
since I'm not using anything internet based.....

Thanks

Eric