BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

ishmael010

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #1020 on: 30 Jun 2015, 04:58 pm »
I have a question for those Bryston owners who have the the BP-26/MPS-2 Preamp/Power Supply in addition to their BDP-1 Digital Players.  Have you enabled the remote trigger feature to turn your BDP-1 on or off when you turn on power to the MPS-2 power supply?  The BDP-1 uses an 3.5mm 2-conductor phone jack connection for the in and out remote triggers, but the MPS-2 uses wire connectors.  What have your experiences been using this?

Thanks  in advance!

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1021 on: 1 Jul 2015, 12:02 am »
You should just be able to wire I up with the correct connectors, polarity shouldn't be an issue

Rocket

« Reply #1022 on: 2 Jul 2015, 01:29 pm »
Hi Guys,

I'm all up and running now after only a couple of issues which I've sorted out.  The network line adapter works perfectly and is a good recommendation for customers who have a system which is not in the same room as their wifi/router.

I'm using Mpad which i find very easy to use.  I only have 72 albums on the usb hard drive but these are the best recordings that I have.  I can definitely hear and improvement in my system.  Very happy with the Bryston BDP 1.

Cheers Rod

ttsto

« Reply #1023 on: 2 Jul 2015, 03:43 pm »
Regarding your recommendation, do you use this adapter also to access files from NAS or only to manage BDP?
My experience was that such adapter was Ok to manage BDP and maybe access CD resolution files but starting with 24 bit / 96 KHz files became a bottleneck

srb

« Reply #1024 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:12 pm »
My experience was that such adapter was Ok to manage BDP and maybe access CD resolution files but starting with 24 bit / 96 KHz files became a bottleneck

Not sure why that would be.  Even the lower end current powerline network adapters, while usually not able to get maximum throughput from their 100mbps Ethernet port, can still usually manage > 25mbps even with less than optimal powerline conditions.

An uncompressed 24/96 file has a bitrate of ~ 4.6mbps, a 24/192 file ~ 9.2mbps and a DSD64 dsf file has a bitrate of ~ 5.6mbps.  I could see where a DSD256 file might have trouble depending on other network traffic and conditions.

Steve

ttsto

« Reply #1025 on: 2 Jul 2015, 04:22 pm »
Maybe it have something to do with sustainability of such transfer rate or with error rates. I had similar experience with wireless bridge. Only wired connection worked in my case (I live in big apartment building with lots of electrical noise)

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #1026 on: 2 Jul 2015, 07:03 pm »
Maybe it have something to do with sustainability of such transfer rate or with error rates. I had similar experience with wireless bridge. Only wired connection worked in my case (I live in big apartment building with lots of electrical noise)

I think when the tech first came to market it wasn't very good for streaming content, but the 200mb and 500mb stuff seems to be fine for streaming content.  Also the connection on those things can get quite slow, sub 2Mb (assuming worst case scenario) and that is below the tolerance required for flac playback.

Norton

« Reply #1027 on: 2 Jul 2015, 09:23 pm »
I think when the tech first came to market it wasn't very good for streaming content, but the 200mb and 500mb stuff seems to be fine for streaming content.  Also the connection on those things can get quite slow, sub 2Mb (assuming worst case scenario) and that is below the tolerance required for flac playback.

I have  no problem with BDP-2 playing  DSD128 and DXD (24/352) over power line adapters (Devolo).
Whether the SQ is as good as from local storage is another matter...

marklivia

« Reply #1028 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:15 pm »
Trying out a friends BDP-2 and I was wondering if it can use a cheap remote for the basic functions? Also, I have a world class digital cable w/ RCA terminations. Should I use an adapter on the BNC or replace w/ a quality RCA (if I buy it)?
So far I'm really impressed w/ the sound, not so much w/ the ergonomics. It just beats my transport that bested transports over 5K. My wife is sensitive to Wi-Fi so that option is out. Why couldn't they have worked w/ bluetooth?  I will try to set up the ethernet option to my Macbook pro but not there yet.

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #1029 on: 7 Jul 2015, 04:29 pm »
You can probably set up any remote that will record IR to work with the BDP-2 if you have the original to use. Personally, I never use the remote. I find the software interface to meet all my needs. What functions would you want on the remote that you'd not use the regular web interface for?

Also, what portion of the ergonomics do you not enjoy?

marklivia

« Reply #1030 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:03 pm »
Remember that I'm approaching this whole thing w/ the understanding I won't be using Wi-Fi so can't control the unit from a phone or tablet. Only my computer (which I understand doesn't have the best interface). Don't mind having to go to the computer (in the same room) to set up a playlist or album, but once I hit play and sit down, I want to be able to pause or go to next track. I understand you can't fast forward w/ a remote. Plus, it kinda sucks as the display is tiny and I can't see my computer screen from my listening position. These I consider to be really bad ergonomics . This piece is optimized for Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi sucks. (IMHO) I really want to figure out how to make it be somewhat practical to use. At least as easy as a CD transport.
But it does sound REALLY good!

ttsto

« Reply #1031 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:42 pm »
This piece is optimized for Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi sucks. (IMHO)
But you realize the wi-fi is only for remote control and it does not have to do with playback...

Rod_S

« Reply #1032 on: 7 Jul 2015, 05:43 pm »
Also, I have a world class digital cable w/ RCA terminations. Should I use an adapter on the BNC or replace w/ a quality RCA (if I buy it)?

Not sure what you mean by world class cable but I would think adding an adapter onto the end may cancel out what your quality cable is doing but I'm not sure how adapters affect cable performance. If replacing the cable you could also look into AES/EBU or even USB. Not knowing what your cable is it's possible it may be worth more than the BDP-2 where that may not have been the case with your current player. I don't know how you feel about cables being used that cost more than the gear they are attached to :) but with that in mind if you feel you need a new cable rather than simply use an adapter it might be an opportunity to scale down the cable thus the financial hit you take by possibly selling your current one doesn't prove to be so costly in the end.

I'm of the mindset to never spend more on the cable than the gear so decided against the cable I would have preferred, a Siltech Golden Eagle II and went with the Golden Ridge II. Now if the player had of been say a Moon 780D then I could have justified the Golden Eagle but that's just the way I tend to allocate my money.

marklivia

« Reply #1033 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:11 pm »
But you realize the wi-fi is only for remote control and it does not have to do with playback...

Yes, but my wife is sensitive to the effects of Wi-Fi in not a good way.

As regards my digital cable, without going into it too far, it had an impact on my system more than any other component ever did, it's that good. And yes, it did cost some $$$ but I got it used. And my current transport is a Peter Daniel minimalist wonder that I power off of 12v batteries. Plays wayyyy about it's pay grade.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1034 on: 7 Jul 2015, 06:27 pm »
Yes, but my wife is sensitive to the effects of Wi-Fi in not a good way.

Hi

I do not want to pry but I am interested in what the issues are with Wi-Fi - first I have heard of this.

James
Bryston

marklivia

« Reply #1035 on: 7 Jul 2015, 07:21 pm »
Wi-Fi is like (not the same as) cellular. It's a radiation, for lack of a better word. Like microwave radiation. Some people are sensitive to these enviormental man made whatever you want to call them. Some say they harm the physiology. They make my wife feel bad. Wi-Fi makes me feel somewhat drained ,especially if I'm physically near the router. So we hardwire all our stuff in our home. Some would say it's BS, which is fine w/ me but it is what it is.

ttsto

« Reply #1036 on: 8 Jul 2015, 04:35 am »

For "hardwired" operation of my BDP I use sometimes my PC with Cantata as remote control
Also other device that I use hardwired is a Minix Neo X7; it is a mini PC with Android that transforms my TV intro a giant tablet. Can be operated with mouse and on it you can install most apps you would normally install on a tablet, so also MPD control applications like MPDroid

Rod_S

« Reply #1037 on: 8 Jul 2015, 09:39 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but when ordering new can't you specify that you want a RCA out rather than BNC on your BDP-2?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #1038 on: 8 Jul 2015, 10:12 am »
Correct me if I'm wrong but when ordering new can't you specify that you want a RCA out rather than BNC on your BDP-2?

Hi

No you would have to use an adapter cable with RCA on one end and BNC on the other,

james

Rod_S

« Reply #1039 on: 8 Jul 2015, 10:25 am »
Ah ok thanks for confirming. I could have sworn I read something somewhere recently on the forums that this was possible. I must have misread or misremembered :)