BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #720 on: 30 Jun 2014, 05:59 pm »
Hi Chris!

Can you please comment on the quoted question I posted a few weeks ago?

Just trying to reach a decision here.

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Antun,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, personally i would hold off with the idea that at some point you will spend the money.  Right now your right, if the BDP-1 does everything you need it to do then why get a BDP-2 when the 1 could be (likely) remain relevant until we release a BDP-3.  With that said the current hold up on the BOT is making it BDP-1 compatible, so although BDP-1 production is ramping down due to low sales (in comparison to the BDP-2, 30:1); it is still a relevant piece of hardware.

Cheers,
Chris

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #721 on: 30 Jun 2014, 06:02 pm »
Hi,
The procedure to enable USB output for BDP-1, with the latest upgades, to a suitable DAC was just briefly mentioned.
Could you please elaborate in detail!
Kind regards,
Vlad

Page 15 of the manic moose manual has a detailed explanation of how to setup up this feature which graphics.  If you would like further clarification i am happy to provide it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/86196657/DOCS/Manic%20Moose%20Manual.pdf

Cheers,
Chris

vladacasa

« Reply #722 on: 1 Jul 2014, 12:03 pm »
Hi Chris,
Thank you!
This update apears on the normal menu on the BDP?
Vlad

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #723 on: 1 Jul 2014, 06:29 pm »
Hi Chris,
Thank you!
This update apears on the normal menu on the BDP?
Vlad

Yes, with the most recent firmware, Manic Moose

CraigS720

« Reply #724 on: 3 Jul 2014, 06:13 pm »
I finally pulled the trigger and bought a new BDP-2 yesterday. I hooked it up, upgraded the firmware to Manic Moose and enjoyed the Bryston provided tunes on the USB stick. Now comes time to hook up my 10,000 track hard drive to the BDP-2. I am moving from a 2009 MacBook Pro so the external hard drive is formatted in Mac (HFS?). In searching and combing through the various posts on this forum I gather I will have to reformat a new drive in FAT32 or NTSF? Is that still the case with Manic Moose? Any thing else I should look out for as I begin this journey?

I must say, in a somewhat brief listen last night, I was shocked how much better the BDP-2 sounded than my ancient Mac even using Pure Vinyl, Audirvana Plus and Amarra (always searching for the holy grail! :-)

Thanks for the help.

Craig

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #725 on: 3 Jul 2014, 06:25 pm »
Thanks for buying in Craig! I believe HFS+ is supported as read only, but I may be mistaken. Chris can weigh in to confirm. The entire USB disk detection system was rebuilt with this new version of the firmware and was designed to include more formats, but I haven't got an HFS+ disk to check myself. Don't reformat just yet.

CraigS720

« Reply #726 on: 5 Jul 2014, 02:00 pm »
Thanks for buying in Craig! I believe HFS+ is supported as read only, but I may be mistaken. Chris can weigh in to confirm. The entire USB disk detection system was rebuilt with this new version of the firmware and was designed to include more formats, but I haven't got an HFS+ disk to check myself. Don't reformat just yet.

Thanks! I'm adventurous and I gave it a try. Works fine although I can't yet figure out why the BDP-2 spent hours updating (never seemed to finish) and about three quarters of the library is recognized. Also, coming from the Mac, the interface seems a bit difficult and not particularly intuitive but that's just a learning experience. After a couple of hours of listening last night I'm still very happy with the sound quality.

Craig

MoPac

« Reply #727 on: 5 Jul 2014, 04:46 pm »
Chris
 OK...So I can format an internal hard drive in the BDP 2.  Watched the video for installing the internal drive which stated "...install a pre-formatted drive...".  If I purchase a SSD to install do I need an enclosure so the SSD can be formatted using a computer?  Can an un-formatted drive be installed in the BDP 2?
 Thanks, Rich

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #728 on: 7 Jul 2014, 12:58 pm »
There is no built-in provision to format an unformatted drive once it's installed in the BDP. So, you'll need to purchase a preformatted drive. I suppose you could format it from the command line, but unless that's something you're used to doing, it's easy to accidentally wipe the wrong drive. Don't most drives come pre-formatted?

-Gary

MoPac

« Reply #729 on: 7 Jul 2014, 04:51 pm »
There is no built-in provision to format an unformatted drive once it's installed in the BDP. So, you'll need to purchase a preformatted drive. I suppose you could format it from the command line, but unless that's something you're used to doing, it's easy to accidentally wipe the wrong drive. Don't most drives come pre-formatted?

-Gary
Don't know.  Never purchased a SSD before.  The installed drive can now be formatted.  Chris has a video on how to do this.  You need version S1.70.  Of course the one he formats has already been formatted hence my question concerning an un-formatted drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRsyU15-sB8&feature=youtu.be

R. Daneel

« Reply #730 on: 8 Jul 2014, 11:12 am »
Hi Antun,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, personally i would hold off with the idea that at some point you will spend the money.  Right now your right, if the BDP-1 does everything you need it to do then why get a BDP-2 when the 1 could be (likely) remain relevant until we release a BDP-3.  With that said the current hold up on the BOT is making it BDP-1 compatible, so although BDP-1 production is ramping down due to low sales (in comparison to the BDP-2, 30:1); it is still a relevant piece of hardware.

Cheers,
Chris

Hi Chris and thank you for your reply!

May I ask another thing with respect to the BDP-3 - is it expected to replace both the BDP-1 and BDP-2 or just the BDP-1?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #731 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:07 pm »
Hi Chris and thank you for your reply!

May I ask another thing with respect to the BDP-3 - is it expected to replace both the BDP-1 and BDP-2 or just the BDP-1?

Cheers!
Antun

Hi Folks

There are no plans for a BDP-3 - not even on the drawing board - unless the technology changes drastically there is no need for a BDP-3.

james

R. Daneel

« Reply #732 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:46 pm »
Hi Folks

There are no plans for a BDP-3 - not even on the drawing board - unless the technology changes drastically there is no need for a BDP-3.

james

Hi James!

Does that mean BDP-1 will remain in production alongside the BDP-2 for a number of years?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #733 on: 8 Jul 2014, 12:59 pm »
Hi James!

Does that mean BDP-1 will remain in production alongside the BDP-2 for a number of years?

Cheers!
Antun

I would say the BDP-1 will be discontinued at some point as the BDP-2 seems to be more popular with new buyers.  The BDP-1 is still much less expensive than the BDP-2 so my assumption is it will remain in the line for a while. 

We will let the market decide.

james

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #734 on: 9 Jul 2014, 01:08 am »

I believe hfs+ write support has been added, it's been awhile since I have tested it as it's not the first filesystem I would choose.

Cheers
Chris

R. Daneel

« Reply #735 on: 9 Jul 2014, 07:29 pm »
Hi fellas!

One question about connecting the BDP to a BDA-2. Is it better to use an AES connection or have the BDA-2 connected with a USB cable?

Cheers!
Antun

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #736 on: 9 Jul 2014, 07:46 pm »
Hi fellas!

One question about connecting the BDP to a BDA-2. Is it better to use an AES connection or have the BDA-2 connected with a USB cable?

Cheers!
Antun

I like the AES.

james

So There

• Brystonized
« Reply #737 on: 10 Jul 2014, 01:27 am »
Hi, Antun:

On James' recommendation, I chose an AES/EBU Bryston cable, and the sound is superb. BTW, I know you've considered the BDP-1, but I highly recommend getting the BDP-2 for its greater power and flexibility and its longer projected useful lifespan with evolving technologies. You will be thrilled how it sounds with your BDA-2.

Best,

Rich

The means — Bryston SP3 | Bryston 6B-SST(C) - L/C/R; 4B-SST(C) - surrounds; 4B-SST(C) - rears | Bryston BDP-2 Digital Player; BDA-2 D/A Converter; Oppo BDP-105 | Paradigm Reference Signature S8 fronts; C5 center; ADP surrounds; S4 rears; two Velodyne DD15 subs | APC S20 | Pioneer Elite PRO-1130

MoPac

« Reply #738 on: 10 Jul 2014, 06:03 pm »
Chris:
 My BDP should arrive in a couple weeks.  When it does I plan to pop in a Crucial M500 960GB SSD.  Never installed a drive before so a couple questions:

1.  Should I pre-format the drive to NTSF or FAT32 using my computer or does the BDP see un-formatted drives? ( I think they come un-formatted ).
2.  If the drive is formatted NTSF would this disable file transfer function?
3.  Thought I read somewhere that a drive that large should not be formatted in FAT 32.  Is that true?

Thanks, Rich

Grit

• - Garrett
« Reply #739 on: 11 Jul 2014, 06:01 am »
The advice you are seeing about not using FAT32 is all based on using a drive in a PC environment.

All the older posts/literature point to using FAT32 and a MBR partition scheme for the BDP. You DO need to make sure you do NOT use the GUID partition type though. Use the MBR partition.

Here's a Youtube video Chris posted on how to install your drive. Looks like he was using MBR partitions and FAT32 formatting. I'm sure he'll chime in soon though and give you the best/most current info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmafbFKnWWw