BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

drummermitchell

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #640 on: 14 Nov 2013, 02:42 am »
Thanks Chris,and thanks a lot for getting this together for me :thumb:.

Matt501

« Reply #641 on: 10 Dec 2013, 02:44 pm »
New to audiocircle so excuse and redundancies as I am sure that the topic has been covered. I am the new owner of a BDP-1 and BDA-2 combo. So far loving them, aside from one glitch I have encountered and I was hoping for some feedback or confirmation.

I got a strange skipping sound or no playback at all when I attempted to play newly downloaded material from HDTracks that is high res ALAC. I got Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi) in 192/24 ALAC and Andre Previn and the LSO: The Nutcracker in 96/24 ALAC. In both instances the output was skipping and/or nothing.

I re-downloaded same albums at same sample/bit depth in FLAC and everything works fine as kind. ALAC (m4a) material ripped lossless via itunes from CDs works great, but no high res ALAC.

Is it simply that high res ALAC is not supported, or have I done something wrong?

Playback was from USB flash drives in the front panel (SanDisk 64GB cruzers) and components were connected via AES/EBU XLR.

Thanks for any help!!

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #642 on: 10 Dec 2013, 03:50 pm »
New to audiocircle so excuse and redundancies as I am sure that the topic has been covered. I am the new owner of a BDP-1 and BDA-2 combo. So far loving them, aside from one glitch I have encountered and I was hoping for some feedback or confirmation.

I got a strange skipping sound or no playback at all when I attempted to play newly downloaded material from HDTracks that is high res ALAC. I got Charlie Brown Christmas (Vince Guaraldi) in 192/24 ALAC and Andre Previn and the LSO: The Nutcracker in 96/24 ALAC. In both instances the output was skipping and/or nothing.

I re-downloaded same albums at same sample/bit depth in FLAC and everything works fine as kind. ALAC (m4a) material ripped lossless via itunes from CDs works great, but no high res ALAC.

Is it simply that high res ALAC is not supported, or have I done something wrong?

Playback was from USB flash drives in the front panel (SanDisk 64GB cruzers) and components were connected via AES/EBU XLR.

Thanks for any help!!

It may be a copy code issue but I will ask the expert:

Chris?

james

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #643 on: 10 Dec 2013, 08:20 pm »
Hi Matt,

Hi Res ALAC and other mpeg based format will only play when using the S1.73 firmware with MPD version 0.17.2(0.17.3).  Changing the version of MPD can be done from within the settings page under the MPD menu.  The default username and password are both “bryston” without quotes.

Cheers,
Chris

CDinsmore

« Reply #644 on: 11 Jan 2014, 05:09 pm »
I've had my BDP-1 for a little over a week and am really enjoying it.  No problems or issues to speak of, but I do have a few questions about ripping discs.  I'm using dbpoweramp to rip and am controlling my player with an iPad Mini running MPad.  I'm ripping to FLAC level 5.

1) Sometimes when ripping a CD, I see it in two different places on my MPad display, but on my HDD it is in only one folder.  I figured out early on that some of this was because I had different entries in the Artist field in dbpoweramp when I ripped.  I fixed this by either re-ripping, or going into each songs metadata and changing information in the ID-Tag.  However, sometimes this doesn't work....either that or I'm missing something.  Is there another place I need to look to fix this?

I also have one disc in FLAC that I downloaded off the artist's site that shows up in two places - once in the correct place and once in a folder with the bizarre name of S-1-5-21-2956237528-128... that I can't see in any of the files so I don't know where it is coming from.  Any ideas?

2) Also, I noticed that even though I have cover art for each disc in a jpeg file in each folder, MPad is going to Amazon and Discogs for it with mixed results.  It does say something about using local album art and that I need to be running a webserver with access to my music folder typically on the same unit that MPD is running to use it.  Question - Is it possible to do this and how do I go about it? Would it be an improvement?

Thanks in advance.

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #645 on: 21 Jan 2014, 04:44 am »
Your ripping software may be storing a local copy of the file as it rips to a directory that's not the final destination of the file. It's not really useful to try and look at the library while music is being copied into it. Try hitting the "update" button on the web interface or from MPaD after your rips and copies are done. You'll probably get a much more reliable picture of what's in the library that way.

To get MPaD to look at local art, see the picture. From the connections menu, you need to hit advanced beside your player, and enter http://bryston-bdp-1.local/music then enter whatever the file name is that is contained within your music album directories. Commonly, this is folder.jpg, or cover.jpg, etc. It won't read embedded cover art in a file.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #646 on: 21 Jan 2014, 03:03 pm »
I've had my BDP-1 for a little over a week and am really enjoying it.  No problems or issues to speak of, but I do have a few questions about ripping discs.  I'm using dbpoweramp to rip and am controlling my player with an iPad Mini running MPad.  I'm ripping to FLAC level 5.

1) Sometimes when ripping a CD, I see it in two different places on my MPad display, but on my HDD it is in only one folder.  I figured out early on that some of this was because I had different entries in the Artist field in dbpoweramp when I ripped.  I fixed this by either re-ripping, or going into each songs metadata and changing information in the ID-Tag.  However, sometimes this doesn't work....either that or I'm missing something.  Is there another place I need to look to fix this?

I also have one disc in FLAC that I downloaded off the artist's site that shows up in two places - once in the correct place and once in a folder with the bizarre name of S-1-5-21-2956237528-128... that I can't see in any of the files so I don't know where it is coming from.  Any ideas?

2) Also, I noticed that even though I have cover art for each disc in a jpeg file in each folder, MPad is going to Amazon and Discogs for it with mixed results.  It does say something about using local album art and that I need to be running a webserver with access to my music folder typically on the same unit that MPD is running to use it.  Question - Is it possible to do this and how do I go about it? Would it be an improvement?

Thanks in advance.

Hello,

I believe the "S-1-5-21-2956237528-128" folders are created by microsoft windows, if you rip your music directly to the BDP over the network by way of the network shares that the BDP creates then you shouldn't get these folders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjn2HSd6b8

In regards to the doubles showing you may wish to try the following:
-ensuring MPD's database is up to date
-refresh local cache under settings in mPad/mPod

if your still seeing doubles uninstall/reinstall mPad/mPod

if your still seeing doubles then it could be that the BDP is reading in files from the recycler

Cheers,
Chris

Mbain

« Reply #647 on: 25 Jan 2014, 03:30 pm »
I have owned and enjoyed a BDP-1 for approximately 2 years.  Recently I have begun to wonder if the SQ of the BDP can be significantly improved by using a linear power supply of the type provided by Paul Hynes Audio as well as others.  Does anyone have experience with this application of a linear power supply?

Mark

CDinsmore

« Reply #648 on: 27 Jan 2014, 02:35 am »
Thank you unincognito and gdayton for your help.  I think everything is good now.  Can you tell me exactly what the 'Refresh local cache' and 'Update database' commands do?

R. Daneel

« Reply #649 on: 28 Jan 2014, 03:47 pm »
I have owned and enjoyed a BDP-1 for approximately 2 years.  Recently I have begun to wonder if the SQ of the BDP can be significantly improved by using a linear power supply of the type provided by Paul Hynes Audio as well as others.  Does anyone have experience with this application of a linear power supply?

Mark

Hi Mark!

I think it would be increasingly difficult to improve upon the performance of the BDP in a purely technical sense. I think you'd see greater improvements in the pre/power amplification domain. If there would be any improvements in the BDP at all, they would be slight since BDP already measures excellent. At least in my opinion.

Cheers!
Antun

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #650 on: 29 Jan 2014, 01:01 pm »
I agree. We already have a linear PSU in the system that is extraordinarily stable, doesn't pollute the AC mains, doesn't radiate noise into the digital audio path, has plenty of current available, etc. Bryston does a lot of things well, and power supplies are one of them. Just my 2 cents.

Blueshirt1

« Reply #651 on: 31 Jan 2014, 11:25 pm »
Quick question, how long does it normally take for my BDP2 to update  new files I have added? Is there a way to speed this up? I add songs and I seem to have to wait a ridiculous amount of time before I can listen to them.

Thanks

lycia

« Reply #652 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:06 am »
I have 3 x 2TB WD Essentials HDDs hanging off my BDP2. Today I uploaded 25 files (1.32 GB) to the BDP2 and from the time of ordering the system to update it took just over two minutes to complete and make the files available for playing.

Blueshirt1

« Reply #653 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:12 am »
Thanks for the reply.

Something must be wrong then. It's been over 30min, WD Livebook is still flashing. I've rebooted both. Unplugged both.

Just opened a bottle of wine and can't listen to music :(

hawkeye99

« Reply #654 on: 1 Feb 2014, 12:22 am »
Have you tried another usb port. might be worth a try.

PETE6737

• Revel 2 channel
« Reply #655 on: 1 Feb 2014, 03:02 am »
Hello All,
I just finished reading all 33 pages, whew!!! Great info here for the future BDP/BDA owners and current owners! Thanks to all for the info .....
I am about to start ripping my first CDs into Flac. I read a bunch of threads on how to do this, I am going to use DBpoweramp...and an unknown powered hard drive as yet...I sent my windows 7 laptop off to a friend to clean it up and make it ready for turning the machine into basically a machine for my music room, ripping files, use for my remote control  program and light internet use for updates and music downloads etc... . He expressed to me that it may be slow for what I plan to do. I have a one year old HP laptop with a   i3 processor and 4G ram, he recommended at least, getting an 8G ram. Those of you ripping, will this be enough? or will I need to buy a new machine that's faster...I hope to be a BDP and BDA owner this spring. I am trying to get all the files on the Hard drive so that when the BDA/BDPcome in, I can just plug and play...thanks for your replies, Pete
« Last Edit: 3 Feb 2014, 07:59 am by PETE6737 »

mfig

« Reply #656 on: 3 Feb 2014, 11:07 pm »
Hi Folks - a place to ask and answer more technical and operational based questions on the BDP-1 Digital Player

james

How about a 'problem' that might be unique or just not mentioned by anyone yet.
I have a bdp-1 that i typically control by mpad (latest version) on my ipad. I will turn off the bdo-1 at end of night and clear the playlist on mpad only to see the bdp displaying a song title and when turning on the stereo hear it skipping 'permanently'. Mpad is unresponsive and the bdp needs to be rebooted to clear the skipping.
Anyone else with the same problem?
Any suggestions?
Thanks...

geardude

« Reply #657 on: 12 Feb 2014, 03:56 pm »
Just out of curiosity could someone explain how the "service mode" works with the BDP? For instance, what things can the Bryston techs see on the BDP? Do they have access to all of your files? Do they have access to other computers on the owners local network?

gdayton

• Industry Participant
« Reply #658 on: 12 Feb 2014, 07:51 pm »
Maybe Chris can chime in, but my understanding is that Service Mode sets up a VPN to the BDP that allows Bryston techs to remote into the BDP in order to diagnose problems. It would theoretically give access to your media, however not to other computers on the network. Since service mode has to be turned on and off locally (that is, by you) there is little apparent security risk.

-Gary

geardude

« Reply #659 on: 13 Feb 2014, 02:42 am »
I thought it might be something like that.