BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #540 on: 10 Mar 2012, 08:43 pm »
Hi Folks,

This may help if you are using newer versions of Firefox and can not get Minion Music Player to work with the BDP-1.

http://www.gargan.org/en/Mozilla_Extensions/Music_Player_Minion/

james

gustavog

« Reply #541 on: 16 Mar 2012, 08:10 pm »
Hi Folks,

This may help if you are using newer versions of Firefox and can not get Minion Music Player to work with the BDP-1.

http://www.gargan.org/en/Mozilla_Extensions/Music_Player_Minion/

james

Hmm, I installed it and everything seems to work except that I cannot add songs to the current playlist. If I add to playlist on Max, Mpad, etc. the playlist shows in Minion but I cannot create one! What am I doing wrong?

gustavog

« Reply #542 on: 17 Mar 2012, 01:09 am »
Hmm, I installed it and everything seems to work except that I cannot add songs to the current playlist. If I add to playlist on Max, Mpad, etc. the playlist shows in Minion but I cannot create one! What am I doing wrong?

I found out that Minion has zillion options for adding tracks to the current playlist (right click, menu, etc.) but not all seem to work. The + sign for adding the selected tracks to the playlist does work. Same for deleting a track from the playlist. The right click menu does not work but using the delete button from the keyboard does. Has anyone run into this problem?

Marcner

« Reply #543 on: 27 Apr 2012, 02:25 am »
This many have been asked before but is there anyway to access music that is on a windows home server and play on the BDP-1? Ideally controlling it with with my iPhone or iPad. I realize the comparison may have been beaten to death but I presently do so with my logitech touch and would love to be able to use the same music library. Am I dreaming?

SHV

« Reply #544 on: 27 Apr 2012, 03:02 am »
This many have been asked before but is there anyway to access music that is on a windows home server and play on the BDP-1? Ideally controlling it with with my iPhone or iPad. I realize the comparison may have been beaten to death but I presently do so with my logitech touch and would love to be able to use the same music library. Am I dreaming?

The BDP-1 is only a digital source component.  I have a Touch connected to my BDA-1 for streaming.

Steve

Bavarian05

USB drive power w/ Intel SSD
« Reply #545 on: 11 Nov 2012, 07:21 am »
I have searched for this info, but am coming up short. I purchased a new Intel SSD (520 series - 180 GB) and am going to use it with a Dynex USB 3.0 SATA hard drive enclosure to connect it to the BDP-1 via USB cable on the bottom rear port of the BDP-1. My question is does the BDP-1 have enough juice to drive it properly?
According to what I have read, the Intel SSD uses 850mv's in use and the BDP-1's port limit is 5ma's... I know this is likely a stupid question to most, but I do not understand the difference between MA's and MV's. Is this SSD a good choice and does it have enough power to run comfortably/properly with the BDP-1 on the lower rear USB port? :duh: :scratch: :scratch:

I thank you in advance for any clarity or assistance anyone can provide.

srb

« Reply #546 on: 11 Nov 2012, 08:22 am »
The Intel SSD 520 series drive uses 850mW of power.  Given a 5V SATA power supply, it would require 170mA of current (850mW / 5V = 170mA) and the Bryston BDP-1 rear USB port can supply 500mA current.  The Dynex external drive enclosure will also use some power for its SATA to USB circuitry, but it should be minimal compared to the drive consumption (Dynex does not list a power consumption spec for the enclosure).

I would not think there would be any problem powering that external USB drive with the BDP-1.

Steve

mikemalter

• Have a nice cup of coffee
    • The Computer Mutt Blog a repository of divergent computer knowledge
« Reply #547 on: 24 Nov 2012, 10:36 pm »
I'll throw in a couple of things I've learned from James, others on the forum or through trial and error. 

Hard Drive File types:
FAT32 - this is an old format that doesn't work well on larger drives but most thumb drives still come formatted using it.  For now it is the only format that allows you to copy files from a PC or NAS over your network to a drive while it is connected to the BDP.
NTFS - most HDs come in this format.  It works great with the BDP but you have to disconnect your HD and connect it to a PC to add music.  For now you do not have the ability to copy files to a drive formatted in NTFS while it is connected to the BDP. 
exFAT - a newer version of FAT32. It doesn't work with the BDP.  No big loss.  No one is using it anyway. 

I have a larger NTFS HD preloaded with most of my library and a FAT32 thumb drive attached to my BDP. The NTFS HD remains pretty static.  When I get new music I rip or copy it to a NAS and then to the thumb drive.  Obviously I will move music from the thumb to the HD.  This seems like a pretty good way to feed the BDP-1.
Jim

I have NTFS and I can copy files from anywhere on my network to the HDD attached to my BDP-1.

terrycym

« Reply #548 on: 25 Nov 2012, 08:40 am »
I have NTFS and I can copy files from anywhere on my network to the HDD attached to my BDP-1.
I've been using NTFS for well over a year and copy files to it over the network while it's still attached to the BDP without issue.
My pen drive is formatted worth NTFS too that works great too except on my Oppo BLuRay player.
FAT32 has a maximum file issue.
« Last Edit: 25 Nov 2012, 09:54 am by terrycym »

Robin1

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #549 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:06 pm »
Hi guys....since the last mpad upgrade the manual "refresh cache" is gone  which is fine but the auto refresh cache doesn't
seem to want to work for me. When I add a few cds to my hard drive sometimes it is days or several listening sessions before it will refresh.
Until it decides to do it I can't listen to the new stuff. Is there another way to prompt a refresh ? Am I missing something simple ?
thanks
Robin

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #550 on: 16 Dec 2012, 11:45 pm »
Hi guys....since the last mpad upgrade the manual "refresh cache" is gone  which is fine but the auto refresh cache doesn't
seem to want to work for me. When I add a few cds to my hard drive sometimes it is days or several listening sessions before it will refresh.
Until it decides to do it I can't listen to the new stuff. Is there another way to prompt a refresh ? Am I missing something simple ?
thanks
Robin

Hi Robin

Are you using UPDATE on the Brystons Settings page after you add material? Click Settings on this page and you will see UPDATE.

james

TrainDriver523

« Reply #551 on: 26 Dec 2012, 03:50 pm »
Hi,

My first post here, so please be kind to me! I've got two questions:

1. Does BDP-1 work with network-attached storage these days?

2. Am I right in thinking it's a single-voltage appliance and needs to be converted from 110v to 230v if used in Europe? How difficult would it be to convert to 230v?

Many thanks and a very merry Christmas to all!

TrainDriver

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #552 on: 30 Dec 2012, 10:43 am »
hi, James!

what is the recommended maximum length for an ethernet cable if connected between the BDP-1 and the router?

thanks,

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #553 on: 30 Dec 2012, 11:08 am »
hi, James!

what is the recommended maximum length for an ethernet cable if connected between the BDP-1 and the router?

thanks,

al.

Hi al

I have 50 feet in my setup at home.

James

James Tanner

• Facilitator
« Reply #554 on: 30 Dec 2012, 11:12 am »
Hi,

My first post here, so please be kind to me! I've got two questions:

1. Does BDP-1 work with network-attached storage these days?

2. Am I right in thinking it's a single-voltage appliance and needs to be converted from 110v to 230v if used in Europe? How difficult would it be to convert to 230v?

Many thanks and a very merry Christmas to all!

TrainDriver

Hi

Yes we have tried a number of NAS drives with good success.

Conversion is not easy and would have to be done by the distributor in that country to make sure all safety regulations are met.

James

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #555 on: 30 Dec 2012, 03:27 pm »
hi, James!

thanks,

al.

Hi Al,

The theoretical limit of using cat6 Ethernet cable is 328'

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category_6_cable

Cheers,
Chris

alexone

« Reply #556 on: 31 Dec 2012, 07:51 pm »
...ok, thanks Chris! but isn't it a cat5 cable that must be used to connect the BDP-1 and the router??

al.

alexone

« Reply #557 on: 31 Dec 2012, 07:56 pm »
...or is it that a cat5 cable is something like the minimum standard that has to be used in order to get proper system functionality?!?!

al.

Johnnybrick

Adding EQ
« Reply #558 on: 4 Jan 2013, 02:26 pm »
Moved to the bdp2 software thread.
« Last Edit: 6 Jan 2013, 04:29 pm by Johnnybrick »

OrangeCrush

« Reply #559 on: 16 Jan 2013, 03:27 pm »
I have a 250 gig SSD drive attached to the lower rear USB port. When I turn on the BDP-1 it does not reconize and auto connect to the drive. I have to unplug it and plug it in again. The drive is FAT32. Is that normal?