BRYSTON BDP-1/2 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD

terrycym

Re: BRYSTON BDP-1 FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #480 on: 22 Nov 2011, 03:52 pm »
I woudn't pay too much attention to what reviewers say.
They're not listening to your system afterall.
Try both and stich with the one which sounds best to you.
I chose AES but that was my choice for my system which I'll bet is different to yours?

Bavarian05

« Reply #481 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:04 pm »
Normally I would completely agree. I have ordered both the BDP-1 and BDA-1 without being able to hear either of them first as none of my local dealers are stocking or offering demo's on them. I have never done this before, but with Bryston, I am thinking it is a safe bet. I would rather avoid having to purchase both cables if I don't have to. Both cables would be considered special orders and I cannot return the one I don't like. I can always sell on Auduigon at a loss, but would like to avoid the trouble if possible. Please tell me what specifically you preferred about the AES/EBU over the BNC connection.

jjc1

« Reply #482 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:13 pm »
Normally I would completely agree. I have ordered both the BDP-1 and BDA-1 without being able to hear either of them first as none of my local dealers are stocking or offering demo's on them. I have never done this before, but with Bryston, I am thinking it is a safe bet. I would rather avoid having to purchase both cables if I don't have to. Both cables would be considered special orders and I cannot return the one I don't like. I can always sell on Auduigon at a loss, but would like to avoid the trouble if possible. Please tell me what specifically you preferred about the AES/EBU over the BNC connection.
For what it's worth, I spent a couple  of weeks with Kimber Select S/pdif and AES/EBU cables thru the BDA1 and BDP1. They are excellent cables. I found that the AES/EBU offered a fuller, more analog sound while the S/PDIF was a bit more detailed but a bit thinner sound. But as Terry said, it really will come down to one's preference.
  Hope this helps.

terrycym

« Reply #483 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:27 pm »
AES sounded like music and BNC sounded like a recording.
This is somewhat exagerated as the differences were subtle.

There again, others heared it differently and prefer BNC.

A lot of dealers and on-line sellers do sale or return
I presume you're in the USA so try The Cable Company.

Bavarian05

« Reply #484 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:32 pm »
That is helpful. Thank you.
Did you find a difference in imaging?
Sound staging depth and width as some reviewers have suggested?
As a point of reference, they will be run with an ARC LS17, Bryston 4B SST2 and Magnepan 1.7's.
Audioquest CV-8 speaker cable and Columbia balanced cables.

jjc1

« Reply #485 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:38 pm »
AES sounded like music and BNC sounded like a recording.
This is somewhat exagerated as the differences were subtle.

There again, others heared it differently and prefer BNC.

A lot of dealers and on-line sellers do sale or return
I presume you're in the USA so try The Cable Company.
Terry, if you order from The Cable Company, aren't you obligated to purchase some cable from them? I thought I once read this in their literature.

terrycym

« Reply #486 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »
Don't know mate.
Can you order one of each and return the one you don't like?

I like Pure Note cables and they do sale or return, no questions asked.

SHV

« Reply #487 on: 22 Nov 2011, 04:42 pm »

I can't hear any difference but if you want to test for your self, you can order high quality pro cables at a fair price.

example:

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Audio-Cables/XLR-to-XLR-Cables/TecNec-Cables-Connectors/MSC1-5XXJ.xhtml?MSC15XXJ

http://www.markertek.com/Cables/Video-Cables/Video-Patch-Cables/Canare-Corporation-Of-America/VAC010F.xhtml

If you prefer one or the other,  then you can buy the boutique cable with the cryo treated quantum copper wire and the un-obtanium cosmic ray reflecting cover; for just a few thousand more.

Steve

jjc1

« Reply #488 on: 22 Nov 2011, 05:12 pm »
Don't know mate.
Can you order one of each and return the one you don't like?

I like Pure Note cables and they do sale or return, no questions asked.
  Best to read the return policy before you order anything from The Cable Co.

SHV

« Reply #489 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:08 pm »
Here is another custom cable site, I haven't used them but mark-up looks reasonable for the quality of components, especially if you want XHADOW connectors.

http://www.soundoctor.com/cables.htm

Steve

terrycym

« Reply #490 on: 22 Nov 2011, 06:34 pm »
Here is another custom cable site, I haven't used them but mark-up looks reasonable for the quality of components, especially if you want XHADOW connectors.

http://www.soundoctor.com/cables.htm

Steve

Cables are like audiophiles' audiofools' jewelry  :lol:

jjc1

« Reply #491 on: 22 Nov 2011, 08:07 pm »
That's why the manufacturers name them after jewels...Diamond, Saphire..etc.,etc.

SHV

« Reply #492 on: 23 Nov 2011, 05:09 am »

Especially when you research the cost of the components that go into the kilo-buck cables and then calculate the mark-up...yikes.

Steve

terrycym

« Reply #493 on: 23 Nov 2011, 10:04 am »
Especially when you research the cost of the components that go into the kilo-buck cables and then calculate the mark-up...yikes.

Steve

Talking of which, have you seen inside a Naim external power supply and what they charge for them?
They're taking their customers for mugs!!!

saveloy

« Reply #494 on: 27 Nov 2011, 01:51 pm »
Thank you for the info.
Are you using the BNC or AES/EBU connection between them?
I see alot of conflicting opinion on this subject out there. The rest of my
system is running fully balanced, but reviewers seem to prefer the BNC connection.   

I use the balanced connection.  Many reviewers like the BNC, but I really do like the sound a balanced connection provides.  Again, I think it's more accurate. 

Kyri

bluemark81

« Reply #495 on: 27 Nov 2011, 02:48 pm »
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I will start here anyway.  I finally got my BDP-1 last week and got it all connected to my network.  I have it working fine using Bryston's Max interface.  The internet radio stations are great.

As an alternative to Max, I've added the Minion add-on to Firefox, but I can't seem to get it to work.  I've added the bdp-1 server as my host under manage servers, but it does not work at all.  I am using a macbook pro os 10.7.2 (lion).  I've also tried adding the ip of the bryston versus the path, but still nothing.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than just use Max?

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #496 on: 27 Nov 2011, 03:13 pm »
Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but I will start here anyway.  I finally got my BDP-1 last week and got it all connected to my network.  I have it working fine using Bryston's Max interface.  The internet radio stations are great.

As an alternative to Max, I've added the Minion add-on to Firefox, but I can't seem to get it to work.  I've added the bdp-1 server as my host under manage servers, but it does not work at all.  I am using a macbook pro os 10.7.2 (lion).  I've also tried adding the ip of the bryston versus the path, but still nothing.  Does anyone have any suggestions other than just use Max?

Hi blue,

Minion seems to have a problem with the latest versions of Firefox.  It worked fine on previous versions.  I have a file that seems to work so email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send it.  You just drag and drop it on top of Firefox.  seems to work for me and a number of others that have tried it.

james

alexone

• Anthony Bower, Stan Rybbert, John Stoneborough
« Reply #497 on: 28 Nov 2011, 10:36 am »
Hi blue,

Minion seems to have a problem with the latest versions of Firefox.  It worked fine on previous versions.  I have a file that seems to work so email me at jamestanner@bryston.com and I will send it.  You just drag and drop it on top of Firefox.  seems to work for me and a number of others that have tried it.

james

James,

you mean that the file will work with the latest Firefox?

al.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #498 on: 28 Nov 2011, 11:35 am »
James,

you mean that the file will work with the latest Firefox?

al.

Hi al

Yes the fellow that created Minion says this file should work up to version 9.  I find it does on my MAC laptop and Windows 7.  Some say it does not.

james

Marius

« Reply #499 on: 28 Nov 2011, 02:43 pm »
Hi James,

I'd like to give it a go and mailed you just now.

Greetings!
Marius

Hi al

Yes the fellow that created Minion says this file should work up to version 9.  I find it does on my MAC laptop and Windows 7.  Some say it does not.

james