blue ray hook up

cementhead

blue ray hook up
« on: 8 Dec 2015, 09:28 pm »
OK, trying to hook up a blue ray player to my system to get the sound through my Khartago while the picture goes to the TV. Any help is appreciated as I am not familiar on how to make this happen. :dunno:

srb

Re: blue ray hook up
« Reply #1 on: 8 Dec 2015, 09:44 pm »
Probably need some additional information.  Most Blu-ray players will have a set of analog L/R audio outputs.  A Khartago is a power amp, no?  Do you have a preamp you are using for input selection and volume control?

The analog outputs may or not be enabled at all times and you will still likely get audio output through the TV through the HDMI connection.  There are menus in the player to select the audio output.

What is the model of the Blu-ray player?

What is the model of the TV?

Steve

ASCTLC

« Reply #2 on: 8 Dec 2015, 09:54 pm »
More and more BDPs are coming without RCA outputs.  I never could find a new one last year, only a used one on Craigslist.  The only way I can play mine (a Sony) is digital out to my DAC, then on to my preamp.

As srb asks, we need more information on your set up to understand where the break might be.

Andy

Phil A

« Reply #3 on: 8 Dec 2015, 09:58 pm »
There's things like - http://www.amazon.com/New-Wayzon-Composite-Converter-DVD-White/dp/B00QFG2448

Some will have an HDMI pass thru for the TV

Phil A

cementhead

« Reply #5 on: 9 Dec 2015, 12:47 am »
sorry, candella pre amp, blue ray has a digital rca out, thinking that the digital is not the same as a regular rca. hdmi also. eventually I will go with the oppo 105. I watch alot of concerts and want the sound of my odyssey for obvious reasons as opposed to a lesser source, Phil, I will check out your links tomorrow. Thank you.

Phil A

« Reply #6 on: 9 Dec 2015, 12:57 am »
I have a Candela preamp too in a spare system with an old modded BDP-83 but have a music server connected to an old (42 inch) TV and the BDP-83 is hooked to the DAC via an HDMI audio de-embedder (Monoprice product ID 5557).  That's only there if someone wants to play a disc (when I have the Space Coast Audio Society over a couple of times a year is the only time it might see use).  I don't have the analog outs connected to the Candela (the gain was not really good enough anyway and I prefer the sound of an SACD converted to PCM in the Oppo and played via the DAC at 24/88.2).  Once the music server is started up, I cover the TV and either use a tablet or my iPhone to play JRiver.  I do have HT Bypass in the Candela if I ever decide to hook it to an integrated AV system (my main system and one other back-up system have preamps with HT Bypass and they are in integrated AV systems).

walkern

« Reply #7 on: 9 Dec 2015, 01:34 am »
If your current Blu Ray player does not have a L and R analog outs (on RCAs), you could try running an HDMI connection to your TV (that will bring digital audio and video to your TV, which will decode both), and use the analog (L and R audio) outputs from your TV to feed your preamp. Not all TVs have analog outputs, but many do.  The down side to this approach is that the sound (from your preamp/poweramp/speakers) and the picture will now probably not be in sync with each other.

The Oppo players all have good to excellent sounding analog stereo outputs (I have a BDP 103), so when you upgrade from your current Blu Ray player to an Oppo, this will simplify your hook up.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Phil A

« Reply #8 on: 9 Dec 2015, 02:25 am »

The Oppo players all have good to excellent sounding analog stereo outputs (I have a BDP 103), so when you upgrade from your current Blu Ray player to an Oppo, this will simplify your hook up.

Hope this helps.

Neil

Yes - they are good - I have two 103Ds, one in the main system and one in a back-up system.  On the back-ups system I have a hard drive attached to the 103D with files, including DSD files.  I don't use the 103D in the main system for audio much (have a music server and a DAC) but did play 'The Beatles 1' on Blu-Ray last week via the analog outs to the preamp to hear the 24/96 audio (the 103D digital out limits the audio to 48kHz but my old modded BDP-83 in another spare system played the full 96kHz output to the DAC via the digital out).

cementhead

« Reply #9 on: 9 Dec 2015, 08:22 pm »
I will probably hook this player up to my reciever through the HT switch for now and when I get the oppo go through the candella for sound. The living room is comming apart soon and the system will be down for a while... I thank you all for the info and will update.