Any TDF Watchers?

LadyDog

Any TDF Watchers?
« on: 6 Jul 2011, 02:54 am »
Thoughts to date?

TomS

Re: Any TDF Watchers?
« Reply #1 on: 6 Jul 2011, 03:09 am »
I missed the team TT but caught most of stage 3 and 4 today. Watching George Hincapie pull up the last climb today was great to see for us old guys  :thumb:

Unfortunately the shuffle of announcers leaves a lot to be desired. At least Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwin are still on the daily call.

jmc207

« Reply #2 on: 6 Jul 2011, 03:17 am »
Watching George Hincapie pull up the last climb today was great to see for us old guys  :thumb:

Yes it was, and he didn't even seem out of breath at all in the after race interview. Also, I wish the announcer on the right didn't talk like it was a golf tournament.

jmc207

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2011, 02:52 pm »
So far, the Tour is resembling a demolition derby.   :(

Edit: Changed emoticon to sad face. Way too much carnage, and as Leipheimer said, the ‘race is being decided by crashes’.
« Last Edit: 8 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm by jmc207 »

jackman

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2011, 04:18 pm »
Wiggins out!!!???  Also Boonen Pulled out today. This has been a rough tour to say the least.  Levi's crash yesterday was rough and killed his time and chances of winning it seems.

I feel bad for Boonen and like him as a rider. When he got popped for doing the disco dust, at least he copped to it right away and paid the price.  That's more than I can say for others who cooked up stories of tainted beef and "naturally" high testosterone levels. For me, the best part of the tour is Contador's struggles. I still don't count the little pixie out.

Cheers

J

LadyDog

« Reply #5 on: 15 Jul 2011, 03:29 am »
Sorry but maybe sour grapes, was nice to see Contador lose a few more seconds to "in theory" the main contendors.

jackman

« Reply #6 on: 22 Jul 2011, 05:12 pm »
Anyone catch today's stage and yesterday's stage?  Two of the best so far.  I'm not sure if the Schleck bros have the TT ability to stay in the hunt but will be rooting for them.  Contador showed his heart today and even though I'm not a fan, I respected his effort.  Andy Schleck was amazing yesterday.  That guy is the best climber in the world!

J

tybee

« Reply #7 on: 22 Jul 2011, 08:13 pm »
I have really enjoyed this year's tour especially the last two stages in the Alps. Let's see if the Schleck brothers can show some of Voeckler's heart and have a good time trial tomorrow.  If the Schlecks and Evans are close in time for Sunday's stage, there will be a race for the win going into Paris.

jackman

« Reply #8 on: 23 Jul 2011, 12:19 am »
I have really enjoyed this year's tour especially the last two stages in the Alps. Let's see if the Schleck brothers can show some of Voeckler's heart and have a good time trial tomorrow.  If the Schlecks and Evans are close in time for Sunday's stage, there will be a race for the win going into Paris.

Tybee, I don't think anyone can question Andy Schleck's heart after that stage yesterday.  That was an amazing effort by Schleck, an old-school ass whopping worthy of comparisons to Merckx or Coppi in the Alps.  I believe Schleck could have taken the yellow on an earlier stage but he made a stregic decision to let Voeckler keep it because he is not seen as a legitimate challenge for the overall win. If Evans or Contador was in the yellow, Schleck would have attacked much sooner and more forcefully.   

Frank has also had a great tour so far and helped Andy get in this position.  Andy Schleck smoked Voeckler today (and I'm a fan of Voeckler and admire his effort).  Tommy V has been the biggest story of the tour so far (other than Contador's demise I guess), and I have been pulling for him!  He has zero chance of winning the tour and a slim chance at getting a podium position after today. 

Unfortunately, I don't think tomorrow's time trial will come down to heart, all of the players in the hunt have tons of heart, it's a game of skill, and Evans is the best time-trial racer (among the racers remaining) with a shot at winning the race.  Schleck will have to race a flawless TT and hope his slim lead is going to be enough to hold off Evans.  He is also going to have to hope Evans screws up because Cadel is a much better time trial racer.  I predict Cadel will win, A. Schleck will come in second and F. Schleck will come in third.  T. Voeckler will come in fourth.  Just a prediction and I hope I'm wrong because I'm rooting for Andy Schleck. 

I also predict the race will be decided tomorrow and the winner of the tomorrow's TT will sip champagne on the ceremonial stroll into Paris in the rich tradition of the tour.  Race is over tomorrow.

Bonjour!

J

jmc207

« Reply #9 on: 23 Jul 2011, 01:45 am »
I've been going through Voeckler withdrawal today. Even though I'm pleased that Andy Schleck is wearing yellow, I'm sad that Thomas is not. Two more days from now and we'll all be in Tour withdrawal. Still, it's been a very interesting ride this year. Glad that I've been able to watch most of it.

jackman

« Reply #10 on: 23 Jul 2011, 01:57 am »
I've been going through Voeckler withdrawal today. Even though I'm pleased that Andy Schleck is wearing yellow, I'm sad that Thomas is not. Two more days from now and we'll all be in Tour withdrawal. Still, it's been a very interesting ride this year. Glad that I've been able to watch most of it.

Same here, it's been great.  Some amazing efforts, big crashes, and most of all...Contador is not going to win!!! I can't stand that guy. I  like everyone who is in contention and feel Schleck finally showed the heart, throughout the tour, that we've been waiting for.  Same for Evans.  He really led that pack yesterday and prevented Schleck from running away with the tour.  I would have liked to see Evans show more aggression in the mountains but he did lead the pelaton to reel in Schleck and he showed heart today.  Tomorrow is going to be awesome, I think...

Cheers,

J

Cheers,

Jack

LadyDog

« Reply #11 on: 23 Jul 2011, 03:17 am »
My podium prediction;

1)  Andy
2)  Cadel
3)  Frank

Think Andy recovers better, the TT has a mild hill in it, and is somewhat technical in nature.  Regardless, fun tour and should be a great race tomorrow.  You may see a 3 second winner?  Both have ridden great races, and I'd be happy with either as a winner. 

tybee

« Reply #12 on: 23 Jul 2011, 06:46 pm »
I just got home after 60 mile bike ride today to see Cadel Evans push off in his TT. Wow, he really rode strong and has clinched the Tour. He has had a great Tour this year and it will be good to see him in yellow on the podium tomorrow.

ctviggen

« Reply #13 on: 23 Jul 2011, 07:56 pm »

At least Contador didn't win.  He has a bigger ego than Lance, which means it's freaking gigantic. 

jackman

« Reply #14 on: 23 Jul 2011, 08:35 pm »
I'm not a fan of Contador and I have never been one but I have a ton of respect for his heart and admiration for his talent. Hats off to Cuddles Evans and the Schleck bros but Alberto is probably the best bike racer on the planet and probably the best of his generation. He has almost no weakness on the bike.

Contador is arguably the best climber, a top time trial racer and a decent sprinter for his size. I think his stunning in the Giro where he dominated the world, and a  couple unlucky falls doomed his TDF chances. He finished the TT with a great ride, as if he was sending a reminder to the field.

If he is not banned for the clenbuterol, he will continue to be a major force in cycling. This is tough to admit because I can't  stand him!  He is arrogant and I hate The disregard he showed for the unwritten rules last year when he attacked Schleck when his chain broke and he was in the yellow. Bad sportsmanship.

I hope some of these young guns step up because indent want to see Contador win any more TDF's!  Where are the next American champions?  We need an American who can ride in the mountains. George, Christian, Levi are a bit long in the tooth. I'm already getting tdf withdrawal!

LadyDog

« Reply #15 on: 24 Jul 2011, 12:03 pm »
Well good thing I do not bet on sports.  CE had a great ride.  Though deserving of the win, got to say I was kind of pulling for Andy.  AS attached to win the race, where Evans kind of counter attached the whole time.  Understanding he pulled big miles by himself much of the time.

jackman

« Reply #16 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:36 pm »
Jeff - I agree with you 100%. I like Evans and he did pull big sections in the peloton but he never jumped out in a break-away like Schleck and Contador did. Cuddles was a masterful counter puncher but I wish he would have taken more chances.

Nick77

« Reply #17 on: 24 Jul 2011, 01:57 pm »
I was also hopeing this was Andy's year, wish he had of attacked Evans on Friday. Might be in yellow today.