Attaching the CDWG's to mid panels and tweeters

Brian Cheney

• http://www.vmpsaudio.com
Attaching the CDWG's to mid panels and tweeters
« on: 8 Apr 2011, 05:57 pm »
The CDWG is best applied with spray glue such as Scotch 77, a small can of which is about $7 at any hardware store.

Each driver requires a pair of the foam and plastic parts.  When attached, the black, hard plastic section will face up.  Lay the parts on some newspaper or similar surface with the gray foam only surface up.  Apply a coat of glue and allow to dry for about 45 seconds.  Turn the part over and attach to the mid panel with the top edge of the gray foam just covering the top silver-headed screw holding the panel to the baffle..  The long edge of the CDWG should be flush with the outer edge of the panel.  Do the same to the other side of the panel.  The completed panel with waveguide should look like the picture below.  The opening formed by the two parts should be about 1" wide and centered over the diaphragm.

With tweeters, apply the spray glue to the gray side of the WG and attach.  On the spiral ribbon the opening (slot) should be about 2/3" wide.  On the FST, which is already narrow enough for CD behavior to 20kHz, the opening is a little larger.

If you need to remove or reposition the parts, heat them with a hair dryer or heat gun on a low setting, and the glue will loosen. Be sure to listen with the grillframe removed for best results.

When you are done installing the CDWG's peel the protective brown paper off the acrylic parts.
« Last Edit: 1 Nov 2011, 04:40 pm by Brian Cheney »

John Casler

Re: Attaching the CDWG's to mid panels and tweeters
« Reply #1 on: 8 Apr 2011, 06:39 pm »

rbbert

« Reply #2 on: 9 Apr 2011, 12:55 am »
When are these shipping?

Brian Cheney

« Reply #3 on: 9 Apr 2011, 02:10 am »
First orders went out yesterday.

Shear Bliss

« Reply #4 on: 13 May 2011, 07:01 pm »
Brian,
        I just ordered the CDWG"s ... Understand the mid panel, can you please show the Spiral Ribbon application. Do not understand the 2/3" figure.

Sincerely,
DW

Brian Cheney

« Reply #5 on: 13 May 2011, 07:10 pm »
The tweeter CDWG's are semicircular.  You install them with spray glue so that they form an opening or slot on either side of the tweeter diaphragm that is about 5/8" wide.  This will give you constant directivity with frequency up to 20kHz.

Shear Bliss

« Reply #6 on: 13 May 2011, 07:24 pm »
Brian,
        Now I got it ! ... can"t wait to try them.  DW

PLMONROE

« Reply #7 on: 14 May 2011, 04:10 am »
  The long edge of the CDWG should be flush with the outer edge of the panel.

Is this also true for positioning the CDWG's on the FST's?

Paul

audiomagnate

« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2017, 01:27 pm »
I'd like to give these a try, but I assume they're NLA. Has anybody tried making these? I need 12.