Dodd Pre Amp

neilr11

Dodd Pre Amp
« on: 24 Oct 2003, 04:50 pm »
Looking for opinions of the people who have demo the $450 Dodd pre amp.  Please tell me your impressions and what you have compared the unit to.
Thanks!

gotmikey

• http://www.biofilm.com
Dodd Pre Amp
« Reply #1 on: 24 Oct 2003, 05:47 pm »
I like mine.  Bass is outstanding.  I could see it being a bit tighter, but I'm sure I can remedy this through tube rolling.

markn

DODD Audio
« Reply #2 on: 27 Oct 2003, 05:14 pm »
Well, the Dodd Audio Computer crashed last night, and Gary has lost his list of people interested in trying the $450 preamp...

If anyone is interested, please send a note to me at markn1@mindspring.com.

Thanks for your help,

Mark Nash

chriss

Dodd Pre Amp
« Reply #3 on: 27 Oct 2003, 08:23 pm »
I realley like mine. Mine was, I think, the first one Gary built. When my buddy borrowed it he imeadiatly sold his Electrcompiant and ordered one. I have since sent it back to Gary to be "updated" when it came back I was stunned at how much better it sounded. I know this may not be a great review as I have not owned many pre's just my AudioAlchemy DLC which it trounced. I have recently added a pair of Orage Globes that made for a big improvment over the EI Elites I was using. Not only is it a very good product in IMO, buying one also gives you the oppertunity to support someone who is a real craftsman.
One thing to keep in mind iis that it did not mate that well with my N.E.W ss amp.The amp was I belive very sensitive.It sounds better with my new Scott Nixon Chip Amps.
Chris

chriss

Dodd Pre Amp
« Reply #4 on: 28 Oct 2003, 02:34 am »
I was asked about my comment on the Dodd not matching well with my N.E.W. I guess I should clarify. What I should have said It did work with my NEW but it works better with my Chip amps.The issue I had was with the combination of my phono pre, cart and amp and pre. It may also be a little quieter with my new amps. It actually sounded pretty good with the N.E.W but I realley like my new chip amps even if they are "car audio crap" as someone I know has refered to them as :-)
chris

Rocket

N.E.W. amp
« Reply #5 on: 28 Oct 2003, 09:31 am »
Hi Chriss,

I was wondering which N.E.W. amplifier you have?

I have an N.E.W. dc-66 (battery) amp which i don't use at the moment.  well actually it's broken and i've found the recharge circuit to be unreliable, the amplifier does have quite a nice sound though.  i also did have an a20.1 which i wish i'd never sold.

sorry to go off topic.

regards

rod

chriss

Dodd Pre Amp
« Reply #6 on: 29 Oct 2003, 05:54 pm »
Hi Rod,
I sold the N.E.W 20.1 that I had bought used from a very nice fellow in Dallas.Truth is the Scott nixon amps smoked it. I expected this as Scott does a lot of work on these amps so he knew how they would compare.To keep it on topic, my P3's seem to like these amps as well.
chris

doug s.

• makin' music
Dodd Pre Amp
« Reply #7 on: 29 Oct 2003, 07:25 pm »
rocket, dunno how this can help ya "down under", but cary audio supports the battery-powered n.e.w. amps...

doug s.