Danny, you'll probably think I'm crazy but....

Zero the Hero

Danny, you'll probably think I'm crazy but....
« on: 12 Mar 2008, 05:08 pm »
I really, really want to try an MTM wtih M165x's and a Neo 8 in the middle. Actually I want to make three of them, all horizontally placed right under my 8 foot screen in my theater, in sealed boxes (1.2ish cf?) crossed over at 80hz to a sub. The 165's crossed over at  - what, 500? 750? 1000? to the Neo? I guess the lower the better to reduce any lobing; not that i should care as there's only one seat in my room :) 
I don't give a rats a$$ about the lack of vertical dispersion of the 8, since i dont listen to music or watch movies standing up, and I can't hear a damn thing above 14khz anyway so I don't care (much) about the rolled off top compared the the 3. I just think they'll look really cool too....
So, are there other reasons to avoid this that I'm missing? I know I can't expect you to create a x-over just for me, but I don't mind playing around and experimenting. I could even add a super-tweeter crossed over at 10k if I really miss the top ends... who knows.
Am I nuts? I want something with SLAM that plays loud and clear, and I have no room for a line array.

Zero the Hero

Re: Danny, you'll probably think I'm crazy but....
« Reply #1 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:23 pm »
Or, if that idea is just too absurd to consider, a TMM with the Neo 3 and 2 M-165x's in a short floorstanding config (short because I only have 30 inches to work with under my screen, and next to the screen is far too close to the side wall). I guess x-over would be 2k? I don't have any issues with the 4 ohm load either design should exhibit.

I'd still rather do the first idea...

Danny Richie

« Reply #2 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:41 pm »
I actually already did a design with the Neo 3 pdr and a pair of the M-130/16 woofers. It turned out really good and I have sold quite a few of them. I just never did put it on the web site.

This keeps the load in the 8 ohm range and makes it easy to drive.

It looks like an A/V-3S but with the Neo 3 pdr tweeter.

Three of these and one of our servo subs would be a really good combo.

The cost of the MTM design with a Sonicap in the tweeter circuit is $198 a piece and includes everything but the wood.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #3 on: 12 Mar 2008, 06:58 pm »
i just finished building an AV3-S! Great center by the way, love it and good looking to boot. Let's face it, looks are important!
Your kit is probably a saner idea and I'll probably end up going that way, I just was thinking bigger, you know? Being American don't we all like things big and loud?

Oh - if youre wondering why I'm talking about building 3 more speakers after building a pair of AV-Os and a AV3-S, I have 2 surround sound setups; one in my family room where the AV-Os are, and then i have my "man-room", as the wife calls it, with a projector and single loveseat.

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #4 on: 12 Mar 2008, 07:44 pm »
"Man room".  I like this guy Zero - he's the model Manly Man audiophool - should start his own GUY forum here.  8)

"I'm gonna have my own damn HT room, woman!"

Zero the Hero

« Reply #5 on: 13 Mar 2008, 12:50 am »
I actually already did a design with the Neo 3 pdr and a pair of the M-130/16 woofers. It turned out really good and I have sold quite a few of them. I just never did put it on the web site.

The cost of the MTM design with a Sonicap in the tweeter circuit is $198 a piece and includes everything but the wood.

How about another crazy question - if I added 2 more 130/16s (wired in parallel with the pair in series with the first pair) would the crossover settings change?

edit - of course, that makes 16 ohms  :oops:

I don't suppose I could use 4 130/8's instead?

phoenix_rising

« Reply #6 on: 13 Mar 2008, 07:00 am »

Hi Danni,

I emailed you about a MX165 NEO design and I would be really keen on an MTM sealed design rather than a monitor version.

Alan

Zero the Hero

« Reply #7 on: 13 Mar 2008, 11:24 am »
M-165/Neo3 MTM would be cool. I still think 4 M-130s and a Neo3 would be cool, but I guess there'd be crossover work to reduce any kind of tweeter attenuation due to more mids, right?

dawaro

« Reply #8 on: 13 Mar 2008, 01:17 pm »
One option might be a design that I am working with Danny on right now that uses the AV3-Neo with 4 M130's for the lower end. It is essentially the OB7 without the OB. We have been talking about it for a while now and he is actually waiting on me to get the test enclosures to him to move forward. The thought was to have an option for those that may not have the placement for the OB series and also have a speaker that could be used as a WWMTMWW center for those that could not use an OB center. As soon as I get some work commitments knocked out I will get the enclosures to him. Details will have to come from Danny...

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #9 on: 13 Mar 2008, 01:27 pm »
One option might be a design that I am working with Danny on right now that uses the AV3-Neo with 4 M130's for the lower end. It is essentially the OB7 without the OB. We have been talking about it for a while now and he is actually waiting on me to get the test enclosures to him to move forward. The thought was to have an option for those that may not have the placement for the OB series and also have a speaker that could be used as a WWMTMWW center for those that could not use an OB center. As soon as I get some work commitments knocked out I will get the enclosures to him. Details will have to come from Danny...

Sounds like a smaller version of the RA-8. You could even use 4 M130X's in a series parallel arrangement for the lower end to keep the impedance high. The RA-8's were a little different in that they used a ribbon instead of the Neo3 tweeter and used 6 M130's/M130X's instead of 4. Would probably be an outstanding design anyway, given that the driver compliment is identical to the OB7  :thumb: Different strokes for different folks.

Anand.

Thebiker

« Reply #10 on: 13 Mar 2008, 02:08 pm »
Does that mean no "chick flicks" in the MAN ROOM? :icon_twisted:
I like it :thumb:.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #11 on: 13 Mar 2008, 02:28 pm »
Does that mean no "chick flicks" in the MAN ROOM? :icon_twisted:
I like it :thumb:.

Damn straight! There's a 5 explosion minimum for any movie shown.

Zero the Hero

« Reply #12 on: 13 Mar 2008, 02:29 pm »

I am definately intrigued by that idea! I'm in no rush yet - still going to do a sub first, but I'm getting faster at enclosure building   8)

Danny Richie

« Reply #13 on: 13 Mar 2008, 03:52 pm »
I don't suppose I could use 4 130/8's instead?

A side laying center channel with 4 M-130's would spread the acoustic centers of the woofers pretty far apart and cause cancellation between them to occur by only being 10 to 15 degrees off axis. So that would be a pretty limited coverage area.

I emailed you about a MX165 NEO design and I would be really keen on an MTM sealed design rather than a monitor version.

The minimum impedance dip will be in the range of its DRC plus the DCR of the inductor. This puts it in the 5.8 ohm range. Two of them in parallel would drop the minimum impedance to about 2.9 ohms. This is not really practical for most amplifiers.

You could even use 4 M130X's in a series parallel arrangement for the lower end to keep the impedance high.

You could do a three-way using the 4 M-130's or even 6 of them in the lower end just like the RA-8. 4 of them would need 1.6 cubic feet of ported air space and would reach a -3db down of about 45Hz or so in room.

However, with the same air space you could use one SW-12-04 (servo sub) in a sealed box. You could even side load it on a floor standing design to keep a narrow profile. It will play flat to 20Hz in any room and will give you the control and flexibility to easily balance it out with the upper MTM section in regard to output,  phase, crossover point, and driver overlap. Plus the new amps even have a variable EQ to minimize a peak or dip in the room response. I'd lean that way.