Bass section for NX-Studio

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Re: Bass section for NX-Studio
« Reply #20 on: 20 Sep 2023, 11:29 pm »
In reading through all the different threads talking about NX-Studios having a bass section, there is certainly interest in making these more of a full range option of sorts. What I'd really be hoping for is something like a Rythmik FM8 sealed box dual 8in sub "base" but as a diy kit, with better bracing, lots of no-rez, and with the A370 amps rather than just the hx amps.

...in a perfect world that is.

I've asked for 8" as well.  This would be like a Revel Studio2 speaker.

The 8" exist and this is doable. The problem is I think it would be project #86 for the crew in TX. :)

http://www.rythmikaudio.com/DS800drivers.html

Early B.

« Reply #21 on: 20 Sep 2023, 11:41 pm »
Danny, this has probably been addressed elsewhere, but I wonder if you can clarify the "distance from front wall" thing for open baffle.  Are you saying 3' to the front FACE of the baffle, or rear back dimension of "Any" OB speaker, etc?

I can give 3' from the front wall to the front face of the baffle, and I can treat / diffuse the front wall as much as I want. The rear edge of the speaker would be much closer to the front wall than 3'.  I understand that "more is better" for that space, but is 3' to the front face of the baffle with a well treated / diffused front wall such that it would be a "bad idea" for OB speaker option?

I'm not Danny, but just wanted to provide a perspective for you --- three feet is a guideline only. My first OB dual servo sub was against the right wall next to a sofa. Nevertheless, it still sounded much better than any box sub I heard. Since you'll never have ideal conditions, buy the best gear you can and work with it.

Another thought -- for critical listening, you can always pull the subs out into the room and push them back when you're done.   

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: 20 Sep 2023, 11:49 pm »
Danny, this has probably been addressed elsewhere, but I wonder if you can clarify the "distance from front wall" thing for open baffle.  Are you saying 3' to the front FACE of the baffle, or rear back dimension of "Any" OB speaker, etc?

I can give 3' from the front wall to the front face of the baffle, and I can treat / diffuse the front wall as much as I want. The rear edge of the speaker would be much closer to the front wall than 3'.  I understand that "more is better" for that space, but is 3' to the front face of the baffle with a well treated / diffused front wall such that it would be a "bad idea" for OB speaker option?
It's 3 feet from the baffle of the speaker

For the subs, 3 feet would be from where the drivers are mounted in the middle of the tower, not the front face.
For the X-Statiks or NX-Treme it would be 3 feet from from the front of the speaker.
I've asked for 8" as well.  This would be like a Revel Studio2 speaker.

The 8" exist and this is doable. The problem is I think it would be project #86 for the crew in TX. :)

We may to look at having Rythmik make some custom 8" woofers for sealed use, but yeah, we've currently got several irons in the fire we need to get out the door first.

BrandonB

« Reply #23 on: 21 Sep 2023, 01:06 am »

We may to look at having Rythmik make some custom 8" woofers for sealed use, but yeah, we've currently got several irons in the fire we need to get out the door first.

It does seem like you have allot going on.  I can count four speakers you are  working on and they are all very interesting.  The Bully, Beast, NX-center channel and NX-Otica with the 8in Servo's.  Did I miss anything?

jmimac351

« Reply #24 on: 21 Sep 2023, 01:08 am »
@hobbsmeerkat Thank you.

If it was figured to use the Studio with subs, as in it "must" be used with a sub, and assuming the Studio is giving up some dB sensitivity because of a crossover designed to account for baffle step loss to play lower -3dB...

How about this idea from the standpoint of planning to use the Studio with subs, from the outset:

• Tweak the Studio crossover so it has more dB sensitivity in exchange for giving up some -3dB low end
  • Incorporate 100Hz High Pass filter (which I already have a setup for)
  • Use with a pair of subs

Essentially, it's the "subwoofer option" for the speaker and you get higher sensitivity. Perhaps that would be the plan if the "X-Statik version" with lower woofers ever came to pass.  But... perhaps it can happen sooner for folks who already own subs and want a Studio with higher sensitivity (like me).  Besides, you need another project to test on your own Studio speakers! :)

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: 21 Sep 2023, 02:35 am »
It does seem like you have allot going on.  I can count four speakers you are  working on and they are all very interesting.  The Bully, Beast, NX-center channel and NX-Otica with the 8in Servo's.  Did I miss anything?

We've got a couple new project ideas that we're tinkering with.
I've also got a personal project that will be using some high-end drivers that I'm excited to play around with.
I should have a test cabinet for that pretty soon.

T4Man

« Reply #26 on: 21 Sep 2023, 05:38 pm »
As an aside because of some comments in this thread:

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed when it comes to audio, but I've worked with some of the same guys Danny worked with here in the NW part of the country. I have no doubt about his sincerity and desire for quality.

jmimac351

« Reply #27 on: 21 Sep 2023, 10:11 pm »
I'm not Danny, but just wanted to provide a perspective for you --- three feet is a guideline only. My first OB dual servo sub was against the right wall next to a sofa. Nevertheless, it still sounded much better than any box sub I heard. Since you'll never have ideal conditions, buy the best gear you can and work with it.

Another thought -- for critical listening, you can always pull the subs out into the room and push them back when you're done.

Thank you.  I wasn't very clear but I was asking more with the "Otica" on my mind.  I owned a pair of Magnepan 3.7i that were in the same spot an Otica could go, without wall treatment. I thought they worked fine, but I also don't lock my head in a laser configured jig when I listen.  I am much more of a "Content and Tone guy" than 3D / hologram guy.  Make the speakers disappear and give me the right tonality... then onto the music.  Good to know about the OB subs - perhaps not ideal, but better than a poke in the eye. 

For me, subs are like ketchup and mustard on my hot dog... I only like a little bit, but I'll miss it if it's not in there.  That's how I have my current subs adjusted.  Up enough to where I think I start to hear them, then back a click or two.  In fact, when I engage or disengage them, there is very little difference - but that speaks more to the low end of the Wilson Duette, I think.   

So far, I think I've got a list of 4 or 5 different pairs / system setups of GR speakers I'd like to run thru here - and a rash.