Photo editing software - what do you use?

chip

Photo editing software - what do you use?
« on: 9 Jan 2016, 07:36 am »
What do people use and why do you use it?

I am back at looking into getting a good tool for editing picks.

Free ones I am aware of for windows -
Gimp
Lightzone

I have played with lightroom and corel PaintShop Pro X8 trial versions.

http://alternativeto.net/software/adobe-lightroom/

bacobits1

Re: Photo editing software - what do you use?
« Reply #1 on: 9 Jan 2016, 11:28 am »
Photoshop Elements 13 for simple stuff.
« Last Edit: 9 Jan 2016, 04:48 pm by bacobits1 »

Odal3

« Reply #2 on: 9 Jan 2016, 12:30 pm »
What kind of editing? I really like light room. Its perfect for my need and have a very powerful workflow to fix RAW pictures. What it does best is:
"File handling: Efficient batch picture importing and sorting.
Professional image toning: Superb tools for perfecting a photograph's exposure, color and dynamic range.
Fine detail editing: Adjustment brushes allow for precise editing of the color, saturation, clarity and other tonal aspects of specific areas in photos."

I used to do a lot of color correction, etc. in photoshop before but since I rarely do creative editing and retuching and I pretty much stopped using photoshop all together.
The few times I need to do something more, I use the free pixlr software or gimp.

Photon46

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jan 2016, 02:19 pm »
I'm a professional photographer doing fine art publishing work that encompasses reproductions of 2 and 3d artwork, journalistic documentation about artists working, and architectural photography of museum installations. I never shoot anything but RAW files and use either a Phase One P65+ medium format back with a view camera or a Canon EOS 5Ds-r, so my image files are huge. My two main go-to programs are Capture One Nine and Adobe CC Photoshop. I use Capture One as a primary program for initial image processing of all architectural and art reproduction photography. It's superior to Photoshop IMO in areas of color correction and ease of rapid batch processing for all the various parameters like exposure, dynamic range, levels, color balance, etc. that one has to make. I prefer Photoshop for individual correction and refinement of final images. The two programs are complementary and neither completely replaces the other. For initial cataloging/evaluation of journalistic type work, I import and store images in Adobe CC Lightroom and then export individual images to either Capture One or Photoshop as seems appropriate. My personal work is generally landscape photography and Photoshop or Capture One do the job there as well.

JimJ

• Ut Prosim
« Reply #4 on: 9 Jan 2016, 05:57 pm »
PS + Lightroom

chip

« Reply #5 on: 14 Jan 2016, 05:33 am »
I have also come across dxo.