Stylus, cartridge acquisition...

aceinc

Stylus, cartridge acquisition...
« on: 21 Apr 2024, 06:51 pm »
As I mentioned in a previous post about whether I should buy a Rega P2, I have a few turntables.

Based on the comments on that post I've decided to keep one of the turntables I have and fix up and sell the others. I will then use the proceeds from the sales to upgrade the one I have left.

The purpose of this thread is twofold.

• Determine which one to keep.
  • Source parts to repair the others.

The turntables I have in what I believe is the order of their quality;

• Technics SL-1200MK2 - Stanton 505/5100II-SK The buttons are a bit gummy and the hinges for the lid are missing.
  • Thorens TD145 - Grado MG Everything works, the dust cover's pivot points are jury rigged The cartridge is mounted oddly in the head shell.
  • AR XA - Shure Hi-Track Everything seems to work the head shell seems to rotate too freely.
  • Technics SL-DD33 Not sure what it needs as far as a cartridge/stylus is concerned, scratches on dust cover.
  • ADS P2 - Ortofon - Needs stylus, or cartridge and the dust cover has scratches.

The first question, should I keep the SL-1200 or something else?

Next question, what are cost effective options to resolve the cartridge/stylus issue on the SL-DD33 and the ADS?

Once I spruce up and sell the tables I don't need we can work up a budget to spruce up the one I keep.

What is the collective wisdom of this group?

BTW, I have tried to upload the image of the SL1200 3 times (inverting the image once) and it comes out upside down.

JackD

Re: Stylus, cartridge acquisition...
« Reply #1 on: 21 Apr 2024, 07:01 pm »
The 1200 will be the easiest to get parts for and cleaned up.  Contact the guys at KAB Electro Acoustics for advice on cleaning and parts. They show listings for hinges and hinge parts.

https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

PierreB

« Reply #2 on: 22 Apr 2024, 02:27 am »

aceinc

« Reply #3 on: 22 Apr 2024, 03:22 am »
How did you accomplish flipping the image?

Rocket

« Reply #4 on: 22 Apr 2024, 05:13 am »
Hi,

The first 3 turntables are all good quality units.

1.  Technics SL-1200MK2
2.  Thorens TD145
3.  AR XA

Its a difficult decision as the turntables are all good quality and really is belt drive vs DD decision and which turntable is in the best condition.  There is much debate about the merits of DD turntables and which method is best. I've had a number of belt drive turntables and now a Technics sl1200g and previously a Technics sl1200gr both good quality.

What I personally found was that with DD I got deeper bass compared to belt drive units. I'd keep either the Technics sl1200mk2 or the Thorens TD145. You may wish to consider a Nagaoka MP110 or Ortofon 2m Blue. Both are good quality and should be within your budget.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards Rod

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #5 on: 22 Apr 2024, 08:58 am »
How did you accomplish flipping the image?
At the image screen botton right there is some buttons.

aceinc

« Reply #6 on: 1 May 2024, 02:37 pm »
So, if I wanted inexpensive cartridges/needles for the ADS and the SL-DD33 what should I get. In order to resell something I like to at least demo it.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #7 on: 1 May 2024, 03:42 pm »
You will need demo just in your home, not at Ebay or other sale site.

aceinc

« Reply #8 on: 1 May 2024, 03:47 pm »
I am not precisely sure what you meant.

I plan on selling the ADS & the SL-DD33. They won't command a high price, so I am looking for recommendations for inexpensive needles/cartridges to put on the TTs.

My comment about demoing is for the potential purchasers to be able to see/hear what they will get.

GentleBender

« Reply #9 on: 1 May 2024, 03:49 pm »
Aceinc is going to sell the tables locally and wants to be able to demo them to prospective buyers.

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #10 on: 1 May 2024, 07:23 pm »
Aceinc is going to sell the tables locally and wants to be able to demo them to prospective buyers.
I would not bring strangers to visit my home and peruse my system, except for the inconvenience of shipping I would sale at Ebay, safer and there is a large audience of shoppers ymmv.

aceinc

« Reply #11 on: 1 May 2024, 09:15 pm »
I would not bring strangers to visit my home and peruse my system, except for the inconvenience of shipping I would sale at Ebay, safer and there is a large audience of shoppers ymmv.

I personally have had no problem with folks coming to my home off Facebook, Craigslist & OfferUp. I have a demo area setup in my air conditioned garage.

If they turn out to be an audio geek like me, I will demo my other systems if they are interested.