Assistance with Choosing a Pair of Omegas on the used market for my room

morganc

Hey guys,
   I am looking for a system for my bedroom which measures 12x 20 x 8 feet.  I will likely be about 6-8 feet at my listening position and I will likely pick up a Decware Amp or similar Tube integrated to match depending on the speaker chosen. I would prefer to keep the price less than $1000, and if the smallest and least expensive will do the job, then even better.  I am not chasing the last bit of perfection in this system, just looking for a nice, pleasant system that looks and sounds great. 

There are quite a few options on the market, all of different sized drivers, etc.  I will not have room for a sub, but will mostly be listening at medium to low volumes and mostly jazz, acoustic, etc and not much heavy metal. 

I have never owned or listened to Omegas but have owned several from the Zu and Tekton lineup, and am also considering the M Lores. 
Here are current options on market, and would love to hear from you seasoned Omega veterans if you have a moment to share. I would ask that no one who is selling an item join this thread, unless you disclose it upfront. 

Here are the current options that I see:

Omega Speaker Systems Super 3 XRS speakers:https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis96g43-omega-speaker-systems-super-3-xrs-speakers-full-range

Omega Speaker Systems Super 8 Monitor https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis97haa-omega-speaker-systems-super-8-monitor-monitors

Omega Speaker Systems Super 3:https://www.audiogon.com/listings/lis97hbg-omega-speaker-systems-super-3-monitors

Thanks! 

guf

Hey Morgan! i have been a total Omega kick for the past year and a half.  I've had SAMs, HO3's, 3's, desktop 3s,  and HOSAMs.  The last 2 are whats in my house now. I think if you could get a pair of SAMs you'd be best off.  Although my desk top 3's on my desktop get the most use. I do have them paired with a rythmik sub. I had omega sub that was awesome but I let a friend take it.  I used a 45 amp with great results but am using an ACA and a 4p1L pre. I eye all of those that you are looking at because I think I need more.  Happy to have you come by and give a listen. 

with all of that said I bet any of those would be surprisingly great. I just like the alnico. 

guf

roscoe65

I’ve owned a number of speakers from Omega, including original Super 3’s with RS5 drivers, Super 3U, Super 3HO Monitor, SAM.  I really like the single RS5 speakers, but they do have dynamic limitations.  I have not heard the new RS8 speakers, but based on trusted ears I would make the Super 8 Monitors my dirts choice.  You will get enough volume to fill your room, a much better bass foundation, and a more sensitive speaker.

morganc

Are there different types of rs8 drivers?   I honestly find the naming of the lineup to be uber confusing.   It's complicated!

roscoe65

As far as current production is concerned, I understand that there is only one RS8 driver that is put into different alignments.

Doodlebum

I have the R8 Jr XRS with a Decware Zen SE84UFO. Do not get this combo unless you have plenty of spare time because you will become addicted and never get anything else done. It's like being on drugs, totally encompassing. The Omega's are lacking nothing, great bass, full mids, detail without harshness (in my system). Make sure your source is up for it though.

sunnydaze

Are there different types of rs8 drivers?   I honestly find the naming of the lineup to be uber confusing.   It's complicated!

Same here!    :thumb:

Too many models....too many iterations.....too many one-offs......too many discontinued.   Very hard at times for a buyer to know just what he's getting in the used markets.

morganc

I have the R8 Jr XRS with a Decware Zen SE84UFO. Do not get this combo unless you have plenty of spare time because you will become addicted and never get anything else done. It's like being on drugs, totally encompassing. The Omega's are lacking nothing, great bass, full mids, detail without harshness (in my system). Make sure your source is up for it though.

Cool!  Thanks for that, they may very well be what I end up getting. 

SuperXRSSeattle

morganc, where are you located? I had 2 pairs for sale in the classifieds, prior to moving, but now I've moved and also kept those advertised pairs, the 3's and 8's - breaking in the 8's now! Might sell one or both pairs so I can upgrade to top of Omega line. The Omegas I have are, like any Omega, sooo great,...once they're broken in! If you are lucky to find a deal on them don't think twice. Worry about the amp later, get the speakers.  :D

Louis, yep , I kept them! 10 hours on the Special 8's and they're opening up already (I'm anxious to get to 250 hours), Beautiful  :popcorn:

Omega XRS3
Hoyt-Bedford Special 8

roscoe65

Same here!    :thumb:

Too many models....too many iterations.....too many one-offs......too many discontinued.   Very hard at times for a buyer to know just what he's getting in the used markets.

The Omega OEM drivers seem to work well in a number of alignments.  My only advice when shopping the secondhand market is to make sure the speakers either have the latest OEM drivers or can be upgraded, with the price reflecting the cost of replacement drivers.  Louis will be able to advise which speakers can be retrofit.  Other than that, generally speaking Louis' newer speakers are of higher quality cabinetry (fit and finish, not the box itself) than the old ones.

That being said, one of my favorite speakers is the original Super 3 with the RS5 driver retrofit.  It is a wide-baffle speaker about 75% of the size of the CAM.  Newer speakers may look better but this one still sounds the best IMO.