15060 kms away – Super V in making

jay53

15060 kms away – Super V in making
« on: 18 Oct 2012, 09:00 am »
Hi Folks !

My very first post here.

Yes, 15060 kilometers or 9357 miles is the distance as a crow flies from Iowa Park, Texas  where the Super V was conceived and Bangalore, India where I am about to embark on building it.

It was many months ago that Danny offered GR Research Kits as “Best deal on Loudspeaker Kits ever”. This was taken up by an Indian audiophile – Captain Rajesh who organized a group buy within Indian audio enthusiasts.

After many ups and downs, particularly involving questionable validity of a private group import through Indian Customs to sharp currency fluctuations threatening to sour the sweet deal to unexpectedly high shipping rates - it became a reality. The prime movers were Danny who walked an extra mile on many an occasions and an ex army Captain Rajesh who remained incorrigible. Thank you both! The last straw was when the Indian Customs Officer refused to clear the consignment declaring it illegal despite prior permission. Captain Rajesh had to fall back on the good will that the Indian Army enjoys as an incorruptible institution to successfully bring the ship home.

My Super V Kit has been the only one of its kind, as a part of this group buy. I Though I have never heard  Super V, I indulged in them based on my liking for Open Baffle Speakers, Danny’s reputation and all the showers of praise you all  have heaped on these Speakers !

Over last two weeks, I have been generating models to see if I can come up with a more sedate design than the original. But I must say that Danny has done a good job keeping functionality and aesthetics in mind.  The following are the two models - one identical to Danny’s and the other closer to it. I would appreciate your opinions on it.

Jayant

stevenkelby

• Adelaide, South Australia
Re: 15060 kms away – Super V in making
« Reply #1 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:44 pm »
Congrats Jayant :)

I am almost finished building my Super V.

Both your ideas look good but you might want to keep the side panels up higher, so they don't hit the ground, especially in the 1st pic they look low at the back.

Here is the design I went with and I wouldn't change very much about it:

I can email you the .skp if you want to look at it for ideas?

Steve.

sl_1800

« Reply #2 on: 18 Oct 2012, 01:46 pm »
Congrats on obtaining the Super V !!  I like your drawings, they look goo to my eye but all that's important is do they look good to you.

PDR

• May the best man win
« Reply #3 on: 18 Oct 2012, 02:01 pm »
Congrats on your super V!

I can only imagine the problems and shipping rates associated with shipping kits like this
half way around the world. Its hard/expensive enough just to get them to Canada.

It looks like I may, through some fortunate events, be upgrading my V-1s to the Super V
in the near future. I have a design concept quite different than the original in mind, with
Dannys approval (I hope) I'll start in the next few weeks.

Good luck on your build, your gonna love em.

Perry

rsa

« Reply #4 on: 18 Oct 2012, 07:15 pm »
Over last two weeks, I have been generating models to see if I can come up with a more sedate design than the original.
Great first post! And welcome!

Have you seen this V-1 build thread?

If that's too sedate, this rendering from the "Venue" days strikes me as especially elegant.

persisting1

« Reply #5 on: 18 Oct 2012, 08:08 pm »
This is going to be a fun build to follow.  I really like the second model  :thumb:

SteveRB

« Reply #6 on: 18 Oct 2012, 10:56 pm »

Have you seen this V-1 build thread?

If that's too sedate...

Too sedate...?! Come'on, I'm right here...! I prefer the term restrained elegance. Or classically inspired...

SteveRB

« Reply #7 on: 18 Oct 2012, 10:58 pm »
I had my kit shipped to a holding company in the USA. I then picked it up on my way home from a 7 day vaction in Oregon -- doing it that way saved at least $400.

Overseas is a whole different beast.

Good Luck!

rsa

« Reply #8 on: 19 Oct 2012, 01:44 am »
Too sedate...?! Come'on, I'm right here...! I prefer the term restrained elegance. Or classically inspired...
Did I say that out loud?! :oops:  :D  Classically inspired, it is.  :thumb: