NFL Crazy Season - Coach Merry-go-round is about to Start!

Bigfish

Guys:

It is that time of the year again!  Some of us are overjoyed that our favorite NFL team is playoff bound and many of us are thinking about what went wrong this season.  We can also expect some teams to begin the process of firing and hiring new head coaches.  I think the following teams are least considering changing head coaches, what do you think?

Washington Redskins (this one is all but certain) - 
Buffalo Bills - 
Cleveland Browns (I think they should give Mangini more time but with a new GM who knows)
Oakland Raiders (Highly Probable if Al can find someone to take the job)
Carolina Panthers (I think this one is unlikely and would surprise me greatly)
Seattle Seahawks ( Definite Maybe)
Chicago Bears (I put this one in the maybe and would not surprise me category)
Cowboys (Could we say probable)
Houston Oilers (A real possibility) Correction - I mean Texans!  Sorry guys, I am getting old!

Ken

« Last Edit: 5 Jan 2010, 01:23 am by Bigfish »

TomS

Re: NFL Crazy Season - Coach Merry-go-round is about to Start!
« Reply #1 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:15 pm »
Guys:

It is that time of the year again!  Some of us are overjoyed that our favorite NFL team is playoff bound and many of us are thinking about what went wrong this season.  We can also expect some teams to begin the process of firing and hiring new head coaches.  I think the following teams are least considering changing head coaches, what do you think?

Washington Redskins (this one is all but certain)
Buffalo Bills
Cleveland Browns (I think they should give Mangini more time but with a new GM who knows)
Houston Oilers (A real possibility)

Ken
All of those are interesting possibilities, but it sometimes seems like they should fire the owners (yeah right) or perhaps the GM's first.  A lot of otherwise good coaches take the brunt of systemic organizational challenges.  But I guess that's why they get the big bucks  :green: 

My Colts have been fortunate enough in recent years to have an owner (Jim Irsay) who has provided the resources and then let a very good GM (Bill Polian) do his job, with positive results.  I'm not sure what the situation is for those you noted but I'd guess there are bigger issues in many of them.

BikeWNC

« Reply #2 on: 20 Dec 2009, 02:24 pm »
Guys:

Buffalo Bills

Ken
All of those are interesting possibilities, but it sometimes seems like they should fire the owners (yeah right) or perhaps the GM's first.  A lot of otherwise good coaches take the brunt of systemic organizational challenges.  But I guess that's why they get the big bucks  :green: 

My Colts have been fortunate enough in recent years to have an owner (Jim Irsay) who has provided the resources and then let a very good GM (Bill Polian) do his job, with positive results.  I'm not sure what the situation is for those you noted but I'd guess there are bigger issues in many of them.

Owners like Al Davis and Jerry Jones get in the way of their team's success. 

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Dec 2009, 04:58 pm »
Well since you've revived the Houston Oilers, I predict they are going to revive Bum Philips as their coach.  :green:

Gene

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
« Reply #4 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:22 pm »

Ken

I would have said probable after last years season but yet Jerry Jones went waay out of his way to assure everyone that Wade Phillips was his man regardless of how his couched team had been playing for him each season. Now if Jones didn't ditch him last year, I don't see anything standing out that would move him to do so this year. Hell the Cowboys are playing some of the best december football they've played in a long long time, regardless of what the win/loss record shows. I'd bet the farm that Wade's staying put for the forseeeable future.  8)

Cheers,
Robin

But that POS placekicker has got to go!

Bigfish

« Reply #5 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:34 pm »
Well since you've revived the Houston Oilers, I predict they are going to revive Bum Philips as their coach.  :green:

Gene

Sorry Gene!  I will always remember the Houston team as the arch rivals of the Steelers with Bum Phillips as coach and the great Earl Cambell as the bruising running back.  It is just mental block and I am getting old.

Ken

Bigfish

« Reply #6 on: 20 Dec 2009, 05:35 pm »
But that POS placekicker has got to go!

Robin:

I would not be surprised to see someone else in that position next week!

Ken

Goosepond

• Virna!
« Reply #7 on: 20 Dec 2009, 06:28 pm »

Gene

Sorry Gene!  I will always remember the Houston team as the arch rivals of the Steelers with Bum Phillips as coach and the great Earl Cambell as the bruising running back.  It is just mental block and I am getting old.

Ken

Ha! Just kidding. What I remember most about that duo was how funny Bum was and how good Earl was.

And then the Saints got them both. All of a sudden Bum wasn't so funny any more as he was losing. And poor Earl didn't have anything left in the tank.  :thumb:

Gene

MarkM

« Reply #8 on: 21 Dec 2009, 03:04 am »
I'd like to see some Cowher power revive the Chicago Bears.

As for owners that should be forced to relinquish their teams, Daniel Snyder and Al Davis are tops on my list.   

The McCasky's (owners of the Bears) get the miser owner award.   Always millions under the salary cap and not spending a dollar more.   To cheap to fire Lovie.   

twitch54

« Reply #9 on: 21 Dec 2009, 03:10 pm »
All possibilities you've listed Ken......as for the Bills I'm afraid Mr Wilson needs more than a head coach.......GM, head coach, new trainer (I believe we now lead the league three years in a row with players on IR)

Our real big unknow is when Ralph passes and the team is sold, do they stay in Bflo ??

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #10 on: 21 Dec 2009, 04:56 pm »
Guys:

Buffalo Bills

Ken

Lucky for you you didn't have to deal with ROBERT IRSAY (may he burn in hell).  A drunken, classless bum if there ever was one.

That ESPN documentary on the BALTIMORE Colts band was amazing.

Yeah, guess where I'm from.................... :icon_twisted:

Scottdazzle

« Reply #11 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:17 pm »
I'd like to see some Cowher power revive the Chicago Bears.

As for owners that should be forced to relinquish their teams, Daniel Snyder and Al Davis are tops on my list.   

The McCasky's (owners of the Bears) get the miser owner award.   Always millions under the salary cap and not spending a dollar more.   To cheap to fire Lovie.

+1 
The Washington football club used to be a great franchise, then little Napoleon-complex Snyder bought it.  What an insufferable egomaniac.  :evil:

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #12 on: 21 Dec 2009, 05:32 pm »
You mean the Foreskins?
 :lol: :lol:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 22 Dec 2009, 05:46 pm »
Well it's about time! After having 6 straight games with missed field goal attempts, the Dallas Cowboys finally gave the boot to their failing placekicker Nick Folk and signed former Redskin kicker Shaun Suisham for their Sunday night game against who else but the Washington Redskins who stunk up the field last night which resulted in making the New York giants actually look good (yeah they were THAT bad :lol: ). I just hope they're looking 1/2 as bad for my Cowboy's.  8)   

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #14 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:04 pm »
Then, the big game with the Eagles.  You gotta be chompin at the bit Robin.  I am.  That would be moot, tho, if the don't beat the Skins but I kinda think they will.  Yeah, that place kicker was a sad sack.

Hope Carolina does well.  Think they are a better team than their record kinda like Houston but they should be pumped unlike Houston. 

rydenfan

« Reply #15 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:19 pm »
Well it's about time! After having 6 straight games with missed field goal attempts, the Dallas Cowboys finally gave the boot to their failing placekicker Nick Folk and signed former Redskin kicker Shaun Suisham for their Sunday night game against who else but the Washington Redskins who stunk up the field last night which resulted in making the New York giants actually look good (yeah they were THAT bad :lol: ). I just hope they're looking 1/2 as bad for my Cowboy's.  8)   

Cheers,
Robin

You do know their "new" kicker missed a 25 yard field goal for the Skins a few weeks ago that would have sealed the game against the Saints, right?

Scottdazzle

« Reply #16 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:22 pm »
You mean the Foreskins?
 :lol: :lol:

Foreskins may be preferable to the team's embarrassing real name.  Seriously, this is the 21st century.  Can't Snyder at least get rid of the racist team name?  He says it's not racist if he intends to honor them.  Let's see him try that "honor" line on people of different colors or religions.  Would he call someone the N word and say he's just honoring his culture?   
:scratch:

satfrat

• Restricted
« Reply #17 on: 22 Dec 2009, 06:55 pm »

Cheers,
Robin

You do know their "new" kicker missed a 25 yard field goal for the Skins a few weeks ago that would have sealed the game against the Saints, right?

It was HIM? Gulp,,,  :duh:  It was this guy I was thinking of when Folk missed his little potential game sealing chipshot with the Saints. Well there goes my bubble. :banghead:

Cheers,
Robin

jimdgoulding

« Reply #18 on: 22 Dec 2009, 09:56 pm »
Think the Giants are gonna have a rough time gettin there.  I just read their schedule.  Cause they got the Vikings for their last opponent, I hope they beat Carolina (next year, maybe, fellas) so they'll have something to play for.  And win.  Like to see Green Bay lose one to help the G-men get in, too.  Just think it makes the NFC more interesting if they are.

Bigfish

« Reply #19 on: 5 Jan 2010, 01:22 am »
Guys:

I submitted the original post included below on December 20th and as predicted silly season has started.

As we know:

Washington - Zorn Fired this morning
Buffalo - Entire Coaching Staff Fired this morning.
Giants - Release head defensive coordinator today.
Cowboys - Comments today are that the coach will be retained if the Boys win against Philly in the playoff game  --- (Okay Robin)!
Houston - Head Coach will return in 2010
Carolina - Fox and coaching staff can return in 2010 but have not been given a contract extension.  Rumors are Fox is considering his options.
Raiders - Al is reported to be considering keeping his current coach.

Questions remaining:

1.  Will the Bears make changes?
2.  Will Seattle Make Changes?
3.  Will Cleveland Make Changes?

The following was my original projection:

Guys:

Washington Redskins (this one is all but certain) -
Buffalo Bills -
Houston Oilers (A real possibility) Correction - I mean Texans!  Sorry guys, I am getting old!

Ken