Introduction and question

Leedb1969

Introduction and question
« on: 25 Sep 2023, 07:24 pm »
Hi all,

I'm a brand new customer of Van Alstine, I have a Transcendence 10 RB on the way, and I'm super excited.
My system at the moment is as follows: Pro-Ject DC EVO turntable with a Sumiko Amethyst cartridge, Darlington Labs MP-7 phono stage, Marantz NR 1402 avr, Emotiva LPA-1 power amp, Monitor Audio BX5 towers. The Marantz is great for what it is, but the only other component I have plugged into it is a TV via an optical cable. At some point I plan to buy a decent cd player either with its own DAC, or a separate DAC that I can also plug the TV into, but in the meantime so that we can still hear the TV through the stereo, can I connect the Marantz via the pre-out jacks to one of the inputs on the Transcendence? And if so, should I set the volume on the Marantz to 0? Hello and thanks in advance. 😊

I.Greyhound Fan

Re: Introduction and question
« Reply #1 on: 26 Sep 2023, 06:35 pm »
That is not really going to work well.  I would get this switcher from Schiit Audio.  You can use the preamp out on your Marantz into this and your line out from you Van Alstine preamp into the switcher.  Then the line out of the Schiit to your emotiva.

https://www.schiit.com/products/sys

This is a good product.

WGH

« Reply #2 on: 26 Sep 2023, 08:53 pm »
...can I connect the Marantz via the pre-out jacks to one of the inputs on the Transcendence? And if so, should I set the volume on the Marantz to 0?

I don't see why not. The pre-out volume will have to be adjusted so it won't be super loud into the Transcendence 10 RB and probably never needs to be set at 0.

My Anthem surround processor only has pre-out (it's not a receiver), the front L&R outputs go into my Van Alstine Fet Valve CFR preamp.

Volume gets more complicated if you have surround sound. The center and all the surround channel outputs from the Anthem processor go directly into amps, the front L&R outputs go into the AVA preamp.
The AVA preamp volume has to be set straight up at 12:00 to match the loudness of the center and surround channels during calibration, this was determined by using pink noise and a Radio shack sound meter.
At turn-on, the Anthem volume is always at -35 dB so I'm not blasted with action movie volume the first thing in the morning. During movies the Anthem volume is -20dB, sometimes -15dB but never at 0, that would be too loud.

And I have to be very attentive to turn the volume knob on the AVA preamp down to zero before going to bed. If I forget, when I switch inputs to the tuner the radio is extremely loud. Good thing I live alone, this setup would not work in a busy household.

charmerci

« Reply #3 on: 27 Sep 2023, 10:24 am »
Is there a pre-amp input on the AVR? Just hook the AVA into that to listen to just the CD that way.

Leedb1969

« Reply #4 on: 27 Sep 2023, 11:58 am »
I appreciate the replies..looks like the 10 RB will arrive today (yay! 😁).. I would love not to have to buy another piece of equipment right now just to be able to hear the TV through the stereo, so I'll try connecting the Marantz via it's RCA pre-outs to the 10 RB and report back on how it goes..the main thing for me though is vinyl playback..my phono stage of course will go directly into the 10 RB..I can't wait to hear what a true simple tube line stage will do for vinyl playback..I'll report back in the next day or two..cheers all

TomBo

« Reply #5 on: 27 Sep 2023, 10:02 pm »
Very interested to hear your impressions Leedb 1969!

charmerci

« Reply #6 on: 28 Sep 2023, 03:49 am »
I appreciate the replies..looks like the 10 RB will arrive today (yay! 😁).. I would love not to have to buy another piece of equipment right now just to be able to hear the TV through the stereo, so I'll try connecting the Marantz via it's RCA pre-outs to the 10 RB and report back on how it goes..the main thing for me though is vinyl playback..my phono stage of course will go directly into the 10 RB..I can't wait to hear what a true simple tube line stage will do for vinyl playback..I'll report back in the next day or two..cheers all

You can listen to the TV through the RB10, you just wouldn't get multichannel, surround sound. That's how I watch videos.