Mod Potential?

modwright

Re: Mod Potential?
« Reply #120 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:22 pm »
I have sourced a power transformer that will fit inside the modified Cambridge, but only one with single 120V primary. I will have to special order a toroidal transformer with dual 120/240V windings that will fit, in order to be able to offer the mod at 240V.

Thanks,

Dan

modwright

« Reply #121 on: 14 Jul 2021, 04:23 pm »
The benefit to having two DACs is that they can be configured in mono, one DAC per channel. There are numerous advantages to this, not the least of being improved channel separation.

Thanks,

Dan

jwes

« Reply #122 on: 16 Jul 2021, 03:23 pm »
On the modded unit, is the volume control in the analog or digital domain?  If it’s digital, how significantly does the sound/resolution get degraded?  Thanks!

modwright

« Reply #123 on: 16 Jul 2021, 04:40 pm »
VC is in the digital domain and I don't hear any degradation at all!

Dan

jwes

« Reply #124 on: 17 Jul 2021, 01:58 am »
Huh, cool o.k.   All that dropping bits stuff must have been older lower resolution systems.

RonP

« Reply #125 on: 31 Jul 2021, 01:54 pm »
Apologies if I posted this before and forgot that I did. Cambridge Audio has an official refurb shop where they list items on ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_ssn=cambridgeaudiousa

and they even have some CXN V2s up right now for $749 w/free shipping.... wow they've sold 231 off the current batch.  :o

rbbert

« Reply #126 on: 5 Sep 2021, 04:47 pm »
Any thoughts about this universal player/streamer, apparently now available in the US?

https://www.reavon.com/reavon-ubr-x200

https://www.zappiti.us.com/shop?Collection=Reavon+blu-ray+players

modwright

« Reply #127 on: 29 Sep 2021, 09:26 pm »
Sorry, just saw this. I am not at all familiar with this mfr. I tend to like to modify products from companies that I know and know I can source parts from and have good support.

Having said that, it does look like a solid Universal!

Dan

rbbert

« Reply #128 on: 19 May 2022, 07:47 pm »
The Topping D20SE getting rave reviews appears to be almost identical to the DAC section of the Oppo 205, up to the analog output stage.

mr_bill

« Reply #129 on: 19 May 2022, 10:34 pm »
rb, do you mean the D90se?

rbbert

« Reply #130 on: 20 May 2022, 11:59 am »
rb, do you mean the D90se?
Yes, of course; sorry for not checking my post more carefully.

samsterid

Re: Mod discontinued ?
« Reply #131 on: 11 Feb 2023, 11:52 pm »
I have heard from other sources that Dan has discontinued the Mod for the Cambridge CXN V2.

But the link for the Mod is still there at the Modwright site.
Does anyone here know the story ?

Thanks - Sam

Carlton9000

« Reply #132 on: 6 Mar 2023, 05:30 am »
I just recently (as in a few days ago) paid  for the mod to be performed on an CXN V2 that is scheduled to be shipped out by the end of the week. You might want to contact Modwright directly.

modwright

« Reply #133 on: 6 Mar 2023, 04:22 pm »
We have discontinued the Cambridge CXN mods due to the fact that we have found Cambridge is completely unwilling to supply us with any parts needed for service that would otherwise be covvered by warranty. We only modify products that we know we will be able to service in the future.

Oppo was quite frankly the best in this regard. We have even been able to service Slim Devices Transporters, which are VERY old, due to availability of parts, albeit not necessarily from Slim Devices/Logitech.

Any product that is too old or for which, we cannot source parts for service, we will not modify.

A few people recently have inquired and we only agreed to modify them with the full knowledge that, beyond our own work, should there be a problem with the stock unit, we cannot service it.

The Analog Bridge is our answer to tube mods for digital products. Starting at $2900, the Analog Bridge is a great answer and it will not become obsolete.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Carlton9000

« Reply #134 on: 6 Mar 2023, 07:46 pm »
Dan,

I would be glad to send you an ARCAM ST60 for modding considerations along with the CXN. The ARCAM appears to have ample room inside. The ST60 has the added benefit in the ability to decode MQA which is not possible with the Cambridge.

modwright

« Reply #135 on: 6 Mar 2023, 07:51 pm »
Thank you for that, but I honestly don't have the time to develop a new mod right now. I would only do so, if I felt that there was wide demand for mods to that particular player. It is hard to know which players people are really using and it takes time to develop a mod for these players.

If there was a player that I knew was popular, I would consider it.

Thanks,

Dan

Carlton9000

« Reply #136 on: 6 Mar 2023, 08:06 pm »
Thanks and your position is understandable.
« Last Edit: 7 Mar 2023, 03:32 am by Carlton9000 »

GregC

« Reply #137 on: 7 Mar 2023, 01:44 am »
We have discontinued the Cambridge CXN mods due to the fact that we have found Cambridge is completely unwilling to supply us with any parts needed for service that would otherwise be covvered by warranty. We only modify products that we know we will be able to service in the future.

Oppo was quite frankly the best in this regard. We have even been able to service Slim Devices Transporters, which are VERY old, due to availability of parts, albeit not necessarily from Slim Devices/Logitech.

Any product that is too old or for which, we cannot source parts for service, we will not modify.

A few people recently have inquired and we only agreed to modify them with the full knowledge that, beyond our own work, should there be a problem with the stock unit, we cannot service it.

The Analog Bridge is our answer to tube mods for digital products. Starting at $2900, the Analog Bridge is a great answer and it will not become obsolete.

Thanks,

Dan W.

Hi Dan,

I am sorry to hear Cambridge is unwilling to work with you to replace faulty parts.  I thought you had come to an agreement with them, but I guess they decided to change their position on the matter.

Greg 

Carlton9000

« Reply #138 on: 5 Apr 2023, 07:17 am »
So happy to receive one of the last MODWRIGHT units. :D Thanks Dan, Kirsten and crew.

modwright

« Reply #139 on: 26 Jun 2023, 04:15 pm »
I tried multiple times to reach out to Cambridge, just to determine that we could purchase parts to service the products, completely void of factory warranty. I have been able to source parts for every other product we have worked on, but not Cambridge. They simply told me that they do not sell parts at all, and they can only be serviced by their factory authorized service centers. Too bad because it is a great unit!

The Analog Bridge is my answer to pretty much all tube mods at this point. It can be fed analog signal from any Digital source, has two inputs, and is available also with a fully balanced in and out option.

Thanks,

Dan