Maggies and the WAF

95Dyna

Maggies and the WAF
« on: 12 Apr 2011, 06:15 pm »
A well known stumbling block to acquiring a pair of Maggies is the irrepressible Wife Acceptance Factor.  I'm very interested in the new 3.7's as a replacement to my 20 year old Infinity 9 Kappas.  First, does anybody know all the trim combinations and grill cloth shades available as the website is devoid of this information.

Secondly I'd love to hear from owners of the bigger Maggies their WAF stories and how you connived and convinced her to get them in the door.

BTW, my Infinitys are 59.5" H x 23" W x 5" D so not far off the 3.7's and you should have seen the expression on her face when I brought those home.

James Tanner

• Industry Contributor
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
Re: Maggies and the WAF
« Reply #1 on: 12 Apr 2011, 06:34 pm »
HI,

All the finishes of the 3.6 are available for the 3.7--plus aluminum. The aluminum colors may change. Call Magnepan for more information.

Wendell

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 12 Apr 2011, 09:12 pm »
Couldn't you just say that the Maggies have an air cleaner built in and it is healthier to have them in the house? :lol:  Perhaps make it a decorating idea and ask for input on colors that fit the decor?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #3 on: 12 Apr 2011, 09:34 pm »
Couldn't you just say that the Maggies have an air cleaner built in and it is healthier to have them in the house? :lol:  Perhaps make it a decorating idea and ask for input on colors that fit the decor?

That would be the trendy Tympani room dividers!   :thumb:

sfraser

« Reply #4 on: 25 Apr 2011, 05:32 pm »
Does your wife have a cat? Tell her the maggies are cat scratching poles ( and invest in a taser)  :whip:

95Dyna

« Reply #5 on: 26 Apr 2011, 07:38 pm »
Does your wife have a cat? Tell her the maggies are cat scratching poles ( and invest in a taser)  :whip:

No cats but 2 male dogs.  I could propose them as porous fire hydrants with the benefit of her not having to walk the dogs in foul weather before turning in for the night.
« Last Edit: 27 Apr 2011, 03:42 pm by 95Dyna »

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #6 on: 7 May 2011, 01:53 am »
My Maggies (3.6s) are out in the room pretty far to the sides,and have floor to ceiling bookshelves to the rear sides of the Maggies, and opened drapes directly behind.
I enjoy the look. As they seem to be like oriental screens blocking the bookcases. With the large picture window view directly ahead, and the Maggies ala screens to the sides, the look is very nice, and (being my own WAF), pleasing enough.
The trick was to place the speakers, calculating the position and all, then figuring the tweeter location and swapping the sides, so the tweeters are on the 'inside' at the exact same physical location they were before, and so the woofer/midrange portion of the panels are farther out by a considerable margin. Still a good image, and the wider space in the center, and closer to the sidewalls is a bonus.
Also, get the white fabric, not the black, even though the black would 'seem' to be a less intrusive color. (Unless you already have a lot of black in your living arrangements
I actually wish Magnepan would really do some Japanese screen like covers. and have the outer cover be more user friendly in swapping them.
If i had a little more artistic 'guts' (I have the talent) I would just go ahead and paint on the Magnepan screens. But like a tattoo, I cannot decide what i would 'really' want on them, and so never do anything.

rockadanny

« Reply #7 on: 7 May 2011, 01:47 pm »
Elizabeth - I would contact GIK here on AC. They make sound panels and I believe can put any picture you wish on the fabric. Perhaps work with them on the possibility of dressing up your Maggies' fabric. Just a thought.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #8 on: 7 May 2011, 07:33 pm »
Get rid of the wife, buy whatever speakers you want to and put them wherever you darn well please.  At the end of the day the Maggies will cost you less and bring you more joy.  Most people own their Maggies longer than they stay married anyway.  Maggies won't bitch at you for having your friends over to drink beer and watch the game, and won't cheat on you with those friends while you're at work.  They won't spend all of your money on clothes and shoes, and won't demand you buy a Minivan instead of a Vette.  They won't ever say you've invalidated their feelings or demand you leave your own home and live in an apartment.  All in all, I say the Maggies are a much better deal in the short and long term. 

95Dyna

« Reply #9 on: 10 May 2011, 03:56 pm »
Get rid of the wife, buy whatever speakers you want to and put them wherever you darn well please.  At the end of the day the Maggies will cost you less and bring you more joy.  Most people own their Maggies longer than they stay married anyway.  Maggies won't bitch at you for having your friends over to drink beer and watch the game, and won't cheat on you with those friends while you're at work.  They won't spend all of your money on clothes and shoes, and won't demand you buy a Minivan instead of a Vette.  They won't ever say you've invalidated their feelings or demand you leave your own home and live in an apartment.  All in all, I say the Maggies are a much better deal in the short and long term.

'Tis better to choose the wrong speakers than to choose the wrong wife.  Looks like you did the latter.  Thanks for the suggestion but at age 60 and 36 years married to my first wife.....well, that's why I started the thread :thumb:.

Elizabeth

• So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish
« Reply #10 on: 10 May 2011, 05:46 pm »
Great for you 95Dyna!!
Also, I can tell your wife she will enjoy the sound of the Magnepans. and a lot more than the sound from any box speaker too. The bass is not that boom boom like from a box speaker, and I promise you (she) will enjoy the sound from Magnepan speakers a LOT.
So please give your hubby a chance to own some really really good sounding speakers. The music will sound really natural, and be more enjoyable than you ever thought it could be.
You will like them.

95Dyna

« Reply #11 on: 10 May 2011, 08:41 pm »
Thanks Elizabeth.  I've been meaning to thank you for your first reply as well so will take this opportunity.  Also, thanks for giving this circle a "woman's touch".  We were sorely in need of it when you arrived on the scene.  Always enjoy your posts.

Regards,

Bill