In Ear Earphones under $100, whats everybody like??

eclein

• Volunteer
  • ..we walk the plank with our eyes wide open!-Gotye
In Ear Earphones under $100, whats everybody like??
« on: 14 Mar 2011, 05:14 am »
A couple months ago when I started to trip out on headphones I never considered any other type except for closed full on headphones.
I posed a question to a gentleman on AC here who's opinion I respect about the best headphones "what do you use", I got a response something to the effect of " I really only use In Ear cans and haven't looked back" so that got me thinking-which is a bad thing sometimes. Well last week I bought a set of In Ear Earphones to see what they were about...my first ones based on looks and construction material only were Woodees Vintage In Ear Stereo Earphones (B-Stock). I liked them a lot immediately, so much so in fact that I found a pair of their latest model the "Blues" barely used and only for review purposes over at head-fi for $50 and await they're arrival.
 So of course I want more or to try other ones and see what flavors of sound are out there so for those folks who use IE earphones please give me suggestions that fall in the $100 or under range.
 Thanks...Ed :thumb:

tomwhite

Re: In Ear Earphones under $100, whats everybody like??
« Reply #1 on: 14 Mar 2011, 10:29 pm »
Hi Ed, are you looking for bass? mids, or highs?

Im not too much into Iems, but i would be glad to share thoughts! (on the models i know)

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #2 on: 16 Mar 2011, 12:26 am »
Ed, what you're looking on your next pair of i'ems? let us know...so we can help on that.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #3 on: 16 Mar 2011, 03:51 pm »
Guys I'm just enjoying the different flavors of sound and quite frankly I'm finding some stuff I have lusted for awhile back when money was non existent like I found these Sleek Audio SA-1's from head-fi for $25 so they are on the way...I just want to hear what stuff or actually what some of the latest tech sounds like....so these are on the way. I understand from posts around the web that Sleek had some issues with cabling break downs etc. and these might be a model that had issues but these offer the possibility of bluetooth wireless operation which would be great for me now that I'm having to use a cane, back pack etc. when heading out, and the price was a fraction 1/4ish of them new so what the heck...
My ideal sound is even across the entire range, nice tight punchy bass-a good kick drum reproduction is important. The Woodees right now are top dog, some of the Woodees "Blues" are due any day and these will be arriving shortly thereafter....

Noseyears

• Restricted
  • SS-Audio
    • Supreme Sound Audio
« Reply #4 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:24 am »
I have been learning towards the Sennheiser CX500's. Most people say that they are well balanced..with defined bass and clear mids.

timind

• permanent vacation
« Reply #5 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:31 am »
Look at the Klipsch Image SE4. Ok, so they aren't audiophile approved, I like them. http://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-IMAGE-S4-Noise-Isolating-Headphones/dp/B001V9LPT4/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1301624729&sr=1-1
They beat my Shure SE-115s hands down. More comfortable in my ears.

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #6 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:33 am »
Did you get some yet?? Price is right, did you see anything at head-fi?? A lot of folks independently have been telling me that the "Thinksound" buds are good.
 Let us know..

timind= Man I was thinking about those very buds...LOL seriously I was gonna hit "post" and look them up and got the big red "Warning..

rklein

• My finest audio piece ever!!
« Reply #7 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:35 pm »
Just picked up some Klipsch IMAGE S4's off of ebay.  NIB with warranty for a total of $59.  Looking forward to my first In Ear Phones.

Randy

Ericus Rex

« Reply #8 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:41 pm »
How are the Sleeks, Ed?  Still liking them after your initial problems were resolved?

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #9 on: 1 Apr 2011, 02:59 pm »
Ericus-The Sleeks are my favorites. The very first time I listened to them I was in a rush and didn't take my time, but I have now settled on the original treble ports (Clarity is incredible but not fatiguing and the bass is just where I like it) and the fin like tips...LOL.
If I had the cash, I'd buy SA-7's for the $399 without pause. If these ever break or whatever I'll buy more...I love these...the Woodees are excellent but the Sleeks are just clearer and more neutral-I like Neutral!!   LOL
 SA7 would be my next purchase...so in a few years..LOL

nature boy

« Reply #10 on: 1 Apr 2011, 06:59 pm »
I really like my Head-Direct REO's - http://www.head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=38.
Best in ear earphones I have found under $100 bills.  Comes with various accessories, very comfortable.

NB

eclein

• Volunteer
« Reply #11 on: 1 Apr 2011, 07:03 pm »
NB--They look mighty nice, good reviews all around....hmmm..

tjohnusa

« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2011, 10:57 pm »
Check out the Yuin line....they started out with buds and I have the PK3 which are quite impressive. They now have some in ear that I have not had the pleasure of auditoning. The PK1 is well regarded on head-fi but do require an amp and do not come up for sale often....a good sign. As I type this I am listening to my Sure E4C...kind of vieled like a sennhieser but excellent detail with good bass punch , if equalized...picked them up a year ago on headfi for $125.

Stu Pitt

« Reply #13 on: 11 May 2011, 11:15 pm »
I use a pair of Etymotic er6i and a pair of er4s.  My iPod has no problems with the 6i, but the 4i needs either my RSA Tommahawk or my home system.  Both are very neutral.  Etys get criticized a bit for lean bass, but I've found it's all about fit.

I have an extra pair of pretty much NIB Er4s (I bought two pairs for some stupid reason, and the second pair was opened to to make sure they work), and I haven't used my RSA Tommahawk in about 3 years.  If you're remotely interested in either or both, let me know.  We can work something out.  I've been putting off listing them for a while now.