Had such a good time at GR Research with Danny and an amazing thing happened

BrandonB

I am not a good writer so I am gong to try to put this in words as best I can.

Today I went to pick up my crossover's that Danny had Cryo'd.  I took my wife because I wanted her to hear what a nice system sounds like. For the last 2 years I had been researching, watching reviews online, learning about HiFi, etc. About six months in I drove to GR Research and Danny demo'd his system for me.  My wife and my family would jokingly tease me about watching Danny and all the other stereo YouTubers.  They would say I have become pretty obsessed.  My wife  just didn't quite understand what the big deal was.

We had a studio in our house that was renovated and I wanted it to be the new listening/video room.  I told my wife that the speakers had to be at least 3ft. from the wall and we needed room treatment etc.  She was thinking we needed chairs all around and didn't want to put in the room treatment.  One smart thing I did was tell her I was getting the NX-extremes.  She said no way in the world she was going to let me put those huge things in her house.  So we settled on the NX-otica's haha. Win for me. 

So back to Danny's place.  When we got there we went into the office and she wasn't excited to be there at all.  She told Danny I kidnapped her and forced her to come.  So we went into his home where he has his listening room.  I know she was thinking what in the world are we doing going into someone's home I have never met to listen to speaker's. He played the christian song "I can only imagine" and I looked at her and her eyes got huge and her mouth dropped. She actually murmured "I know exactly what you have been talking about now".   She asked Danny how do you get it to do all that?   She said I have never heard anything like this before.  He and I both laughed.  She said it sounded like the singer's are in the room.  After the first song she had totally changed demeanor.  My wife is an artist and Danny is pretty artistic so they started talking about art.  He showed her some of his art work and she was impressed.  We wasn't able to stay that long because we had to get back to Okc. to pick up our daughter.  On the way back home she started to call my NX-otica's her NX-otica's.  Asking what else we need to get the system up and running.  She said many times she couldn't believe how that sounded.  She said  she just wanted to grab the remote from Danny and listen to song after song.  She talked about making the room treatment and pulling the speakers further out into the room maybe even taking the TV completely out 

I was just blown away by her reaction to the music.  I never would have thought it was going to be this extreme.  On the joking side.  I fear for our finances! lol.

I just want to thank Danny for taking the time and hanging out with us today.  I thank you have turned my wife to the HiFi side...

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
Very Cool!!!  :thumb:

It's a similar thing when you experience "race tire grip" on a racetrack for the first time.  I try to explain to people what it's like... but I can tell they aren't quite getting it.  Just lots of nodding.  It is a visceral thing, as is audio. You have to experience it... you can't really describe it. The visceral experience of audio that's "right" (or not) is why a lot of people keep buying and selling...

My wife and I have seen MercyMe in concert many times... I'm not surprised to hear Danny played that song. :D

marvda1

• freelance reviewer: The Sound Advocate
Bring the wife to Dallas in March for the Southwesr Audio Fest.
https://www.southwestaudiofest.com/

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
Music is art.  A great stereo turns your room into a pulsing, living art house. 

Stercom

Great story! Thanks for sharing

mkrawcz

Great story. Once she listened to the 8ft tall stacks of crack cocaine, she was hooked like the rest of us. :D

Early B.

Greatest AC story ever...

AllanS

If I have to explain it you’ll never get it.  I’m sure I saw it printed on a motorcycle related t shirt.  I’m happy for both of you that she got it!

monte

That was an awesome story.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
A few years ago, the GC who replaced our roof gave me a number on knocking down a wall between two unused bedrooms in the back of the house, to make the space into one larger room.  The price was very reasonable, but the dimension wasn't exactly what I'd like it to be - 11' wide...and I've hesitated on it. Last week, unprompted, my wife said to me... "You should call that guy again about adding on to the house to have a room exactly the way you want it."

She sees me having fun.  I need to get after it.

fre11111

• Industry Participant
I am not a good writer so I am gong to try to put this in words as best I can.

Today I went to pick up my crossover's that Danny had Cryo'd.  I took my wife because I wanted her to hear what a nice system sounds like. For the last 2 years I had been researching, watching reviews online, learning about HiFi, etc. About six months in I drove to GR Research and Danny demo'd his system for me.  My wife and my family would jokingly tease me about watching Danny and all the other stereo YouTubers.  They would say I have become pretty obsessed.  My wife  just didn't quite understand what the big deal was.

We had a studio in our house that was renovated and I wanted it to be the new listening/video room.  I told my wife that the speakers had to be at least 3ft. from the wall and we needed room treatment etc.  She was thinking we needed chairs all around and didn't want to put in the room treatment.  One smart thing I did was tell her I was getting the NX-extremes.  She said no way in the world she was going to let me put those huge things in her house.  So we settled on the NX-otica's haha. Win for me. 

So back to Danny's place.  When we got there we went into the office and she wasn't excited to be there at all.  She told Danny I kidnapped her and forced her to come.  So we went into his home where he has his listening room.  I know she was thinking what in the world are we doing going into someone's home I have never met to listen to speaker's. He played the christian song "I can only imagine" and I looked at her and her eyes got huge and her mouth dropped. She actually murmured "I know exactly what you have been talking about now".   She asked Danny how do you get it to do all that?   She said I have never heard anything like this before.  He and I both laughed.  She said it sounded like the singer's are in the room.  After the first song she had totally changed demeanor.  My wife is an artist and Danny is pretty artistic so they started talking about art.  He showed her some of his art work and she was impressed.  We wasn't able to stay that long because we had to get back to Okc. to pick up our daughter.  On the way back home she started to call my NX-otica's her NX-otica's.  Asking what else we need to get the system up and running.  She said many times she couldn't believe how that sounded.  She said  she just wanted to grab the remote from Danny and listen to song after song.  She talked about making the room treatment and pulling the speakers further out into the room maybe even taking the TV completely out 

I was just blown away by her reaction to the music.  I never would have thought it was going to be this extreme.  On the joking side.  I fear for our finances! lol.

I just want to thank Danny for taking the time and hanging out with us today.  I thank you have turned my wife to the HiFi side...

:thumb:

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
Glad she got to hear it in person.

Check out Ron’s series on the effects of room treatment on his New Record Day YouTube channel. This is the best presentation of this topic I’ve ever seen. Even though he recommends listening through headphones to get the best understanding, with my system, even listening through speakers up through the episode on absorption the differences were audible through the speakers. Headphones are still the recommended especially if your system isn’t as revealing as mine is.

Every music enthusiast owes it to themselves to watch this series.

GeorgeAb

Have to disagree on the "I am not a good writer" intro. Just a wonderful story... such a enjoyable read. Danny's generosity with his time, and touch of not only allowing your wife to have her own experience with the sound, but to also shift into something they both of love... art. Just very cool on many levels. Thanks for sharing.   

BrandonB

Very Cool!!!  :thumb:

It's a similar thing when you experience "race tire grip" on a racetrack for the first time.  I try to explain to people what it's like... but I can tell they aren't quite getting it.  Just lots of nodding.  It is a visceral thing, as is audio. You have to experience it... you can't really describe it. The visceral experience of audio that's "right" (or not) is why a lot of people keep buying and selling...

My wife and I have seen MercyMe in concert many times... I'm not surprised to hear Danny played that song. :D

I would love to go racing or just be in the car.  Funny thing when I was younger I took a career test and it said I should be a race car driver. 

When we where diving home my wife said she had heard that song hundreds of times but she felt emotional because it maid her feel like he was in the room. 

BrandonB

Bring the wife to Dallas in March for the Southwesr Audio Fest.
https://www.southwestaudiofest.com/
We might actually do that.  I will have to check the date.

BrandonB

Music is art.  A great stereo turns your room into a pulsing, living art house.
Today she was listening to Tidal over the TV while she was cleaning and she sent a message and said this is got to go you need to finish the system.

BrandonB

A few years ago, the GC who replaced our roof gave me a number on knocking down a wall between two unused bedrooms in the back of the house, to make the space into one larger room.  The price was very reasonable, but the dimension wasn't exactly what I'd like it to be - 11' wide...and I've hesitated on it. Last week, unprompted, my wife said to me... "You should call that guy again about adding on to the house to have a room exactly the way you want it."

She sees me having fun.  I need to get after it.
That's awesome...

BrandonB

Check out Ron’s series on the effects of room treatment on his New Record Day YouTube channel. This is the best presentation of this topic I’ve ever seen. Even though he recommends listening through headphones to get the best understanding, with my system, even listening through speakers up through the episode on absorption the differences were audible through the speakers. Headphones are still the recommended especially if your system isn’t as revealing as mine is.

I have seen the first part but haven't gotten to the section where he starts putting in the treatment and furniture.

BrandonB

Have to disagree on the "I am not a good writer" intro. Just a wonderful story... such a enjoyable read. Danny's generosity with his time, and touch of not only allowing your wife to have her own experience with the sound, but to also shift into something they both of love... art. Just very cool on many levels. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for the complement.  I have been to GR Research three times and enjoyed every visit.  I told Danny its a good thing I don't live closer because I would be there all the time. 

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant

Having heard Ron's new "Sound Shed" a couple times now, and as good as the videos are at demonstrating the differences at each stage of treatment, they really don't do that room justice.

the noise floor is super quiet, not quite anechoic chamber levels, of course, but a lot more controlled than any other room I've been in, but the soundstage that room is capable of creating is phenomenal.
The presence created from the separation between instruments and the sense of scale that room is capable of providing is really something special.