Magnepan - X Upgrades

Chops

Re: Magnepan - X Upgrades
« Reply #20 on: 25 Dec 2023, 01:39 pm »
Unless I’m misunderstanding something, the GR upgrade is a redesign of the crossover, whereas the Magnepan X upgrade is just an upgrade in parts without a redesign.

Yes sir, after I did a small bit more research myself, this is in fac the case...

These are the bullet points in an email from Magnepan that a member on another forum got about the upgrades...

• Better Capacitors
  • Better Coils (Inductors)
  • Better Wiring
  • Better Connections (soldered instead of bolts & nuts)
  • Better Inputs

So same value caps and inductors, just better quality components.
Larger gauge solid copper wire used and layout cleaned up for less wire runs.
Connections are now soldered instead of using slip-on connectors, spade connecters with small bolts and nuts.
Speaker input connectors are "claimed" to be better because they are now gold plated. Who cares though, they are still made out of steel, so still ferrous which defeats the purpose. They should be replaced with solid copper or brass binding posts.

So yes, Danny's crossover upgrade is a much MUCH better choice. Danny actually cares about true performance upgrades that will improve the sound more than just direct component replacements. Not saying Magnepan's approach won't offer improvements, but they won't be anywhere near as good or pronounced as Danny's.

I know this from direct experience when I did Danny's FULL crossover upgrade on my GR-Research X-Statik's. HUGE improvements across the board!

I do have one correction...

I originally read that the upgrade for the 1.7i was going to be $4000, and that's what I've been stating. However, I have just read updated info that the actual upgrade price will be $2000. That's still an outrageous amount for what you get.

Again, you're much better off going with Danny's upgrade.
« Last Edit: 25 Dec 2023, 04:31 pm by Chops »

Saturn94

« Reply #21 on: 25 Dec 2023, 04:57 pm »
Personally, I’m happy with my stock LRS with Magnariser stands, so I’m not motivated to pursue any “upgrades”. 😉

Chops

« Reply #22 on: 25 Dec 2023, 05:41 pm »
Personally, I’m happy with my stock LRS with Magnariser stands, so I’m not motivated to pursue any “upgrades”. 😉

Honestly, I'm quite happy with my bone stock 17i's and stock stands as well. But if I ever do decide to do upgrades, it will be Danny's kit.

mr_bill

« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2023, 07:48 pm »
I’d much rather be buying or reselling a pair of Maggie 1.7x officially factory upgraded by Magnepan then someone else’s who personally modded his own pair with an unsupported mod.

Chops

« Reply #24 on: 25 Dec 2023, 09:26 pm »
I’d much rather be buying or reselling a pair of Maggie 1.7x officially factory upgraded by Magnepan then someone else’s who personally modded his own pair with an unsupported mod.

An unsupported but very well known mod with actual test measurements to back it up. So it would be up to the buyer to decide which he/she would want to purchase. I know which I would go with if I were buying used modded 1.7i's. Luckily I don't have to worry about that either way.

Danny Richie

« Reply #25 on: 25 Dec 2023, 10:55 pm »

Magnepan will still support and warranty models that have been using our upgrade.

mr_bill

« Reply #26 on: 25 Dec 2023, 11:44 pm »
That is good and I did not know that, thanks Danny!
Now, if I was only more handy on diy, then I’d get Danny’s upgrade kit which is a deal in comparison.

Chops

« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2023, 10:40 pm »
Magnepan will still support and warranty models that have been using our upgrade.

I didn't know that either.

That is good and I did not know that, thanks Danny!
Now, if I was only more handy on diy, then I’d get Danny’s upgrade kit which is a deal in comparison.

If I were you, I would get in contact with a family member or friend who's good with such things and ask them to do the upgrades for you, even if you have to throw an extra hundred or two at it for their work. $600 is still a far cry from Maggies' $2000.

mr_bill

« Reply #28 on: 27 Dec 2023, 03:26 am »
That is true.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #29 on: 27 Dec 2023, 01:56 pm »
That is true.

If you're not on FakeBook, it might be helpful. I avoided it for many years but it's been helpful for examples just like this - to associate with others of similar interests, while ignoring the other noise. There are a few different Magnepan User Groups on FB with thousands of members.  Chances are there is someone local to you, or local enough. You may have a friend right around the corner you just haven't met yet...

Chops

« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2023, 11:10 pm »
If you're not on FakeBook, it might be helpful. I avoided it for many years but it's been helpful for examples just like this - to associate with others of similar interests, while ignoring the other noise. There are a few different Magnepan User Groups on FB with thousands of members.  Chances are there is someone local to you, or local enough. You may have a friend right around the corner you just haven't met yet...

Good point. But even within those thousands of members, there's a few bad seeds sprinkled in there that speak as if everything they say is "fact", and they are usually grossly wrong.

Just like everything else in life, you gotta use your best judgement and go with your gut instincts if someone seems a bit fishy. But really, that goes without saying.

jmimac351

• Chief Instructor - ChinTrackDays.com
« Reply #31 on: 27 Dec 2023, 11:52 pm »
Good point. But even within those thousands of members, there's a few bad seeds sprinkled in there that speak as if everything they say is "fact", and they are usually grossly wrong.

Just like everything else in life, you gotta use your best judgement and go with your gut instincts if someone seems a bit fishy. But really, that goes without saying.

One of those users bought my Magnepan 3.7i speakers earlier this year.  When he came to pick them up, he brought me a DAC to listen to, just because.  Without getting into what it was or what I thought of it, he hasn't asked for it back.  I keep forgetting to reach out to him to get it back to him.  I'm going to stop and do that right now. 

There are good and kind people too.  There's a guy in Iowa Park, Texas you can even ship a Wilson speaker to and not worry in the least about it...   

BikeFi10

« Reply #32 on: 14 Jan 2024, 09:03 pm »
Chops, you mentioned Magnepan’s XO mod converts 3 way to 2 way. GRs mod does the same as per Danny.
My knowledge of XOs and drivers is limited, but it seems the more drivers to segregate the frequencys the better and more expensive. Ex. 2way LRS $1k less than 3way 1.7i.
I have read a few posts on forums that rate GRs upgrade very good and many posts that rate diy upgraded mods very good. Some say neither are worth the costs. Guess we have to find out ourselves.
I’m debating going with GRs kit or buy higher quality components direct and just swap parts using stock values.

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #33 on: 15 Jan 2024, 02:35 am »
Honestly, I'm quite happy with my bone stock 17i's and stock stands as well. But if I ever do decide to do upgrades, it will be Danny's kit.
This is where I'm at with my 1.7i's. They sound very good. They, however, do not compare with my NX Studio's + dual OB subs. The small things that I do not like about the 1.7s will likely not improve with an upgrade as I think they are more a limitation with the magneplanar design rather than a parts/crossover quality issue. At this point I think I'll just sell off the 1.7s to assist with funding my next build. Which I would love to be the Otica MTM variant but GR doesn't sell them any more. Maybe the next version of the Oticas with the 8-in servo woofers...

Chops

« Reply #34 on: 19 Jan 2024, 02:33 am »
Chops, you mentioned Magnepan’s XO mod converts 3 way to 2 way. GRs mod does the same as per Danny.
My knowledge of XOs and drivers is limited, but it seems the more drivers to segregate the frequencys the better and more expensive. Ex. 2way LRS $1k less than 3way 1.7i.
I have read a few posts on forums that rate GRs upgrade very good and many posts that rate diy upgraded mods very good. Some say neither are worth the costs. Guess we have to find out ourselves.
I’m debating going with GRs kit or buy higher quality components direct and just swap parts using stock values.

No, Magnepan's upgrades do not convert the 3-ways to 2-ways. All they do is replace the stock components with higher quality components. There's one YT reviewer who sent in his 1.6QR's to be refurbished, and Magnepan upgraded the old 1.6QR panels to new 1.7i panels.

Danny's upgrade is the only one that converts the 1.7i to a 2-way.

From what I understand, the 1.7i's "tweeter and super-tweeter" is just a single tweeter with two voice coils and two different crossover points. Danny's upgrade wires those two voice coils in series to make it as one large tweeter (which it is). Danny explains the advantages of this mod in his video.

The people who say that any of the crossover mods are not worth the cost either have lack-luster gear in front of their Maggies so they can't hear the improvements, or their hearing is lack-luster so they can't hear the improvements.

BikeFi10

« Reply #35 on: 20 Jan 2024, 04:30 am »
AK-Grawn I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison between  NX Studios with 2 dual subs and 1.7is.
I’m pretty sure the GR rig as completed is quite a higher cost factoring in diy value compared to 1.7i stock. My 1 year old 1.7is were actually $1300 so I get value points there.
Curious if you tried the 2 dual OB subs with the 1.7is crossed over @ 80hz or so. That would seem to take the 1.7is to another level.
I think OCD Mikey on YT did that in one of his Maggie iterations.

Chops, yes Danny said his mod puts the tweeter and super tweeter in series thus converting 3 way to 2 way. I guess the midrange is then handled by the “woofer” part of the panel, but I guess that’s a mute point if the final SQ is improved.

Chops

« Reply #36 on: 27 Jan 2024, 06:33 pm »
AK-Grawn I’m not sure it’s a fair comparison between  NX Studios with 2 dual subs and 1.7is.
I’m pretty sure the GR rig as completed is quite a higher cost factoring in diy value compared to 1.7i stock. My 1 year old 1.7is were actually $1300 so I get value points there.
Curious if you tried the 2 dual OB subs with the 1.7is crossed over @ 80hz or so. That would seem to take the 1.7is to another level.

Chops, yes Danny said his mod puts the tweeter and super tweeter in series thus converting 3 way to 2 way. I guess the midrange is then handled by the “woofer” part of the panel, but I guess that’s a mute point if the final SQ is improved.

Even with Danny's OB subs, I would still cross them no higher than about 40 Hz going to Maggies. 80 Hz is way too high if you ask me, but then again I've seen people crossing their subs to whatever the max is of their subs, one crossing his over at 250 Hz! I wouldn't even want to hear that mess.

As far as I'm aware, the midrange was always handled by the bass panels. It's just that the dual voice coil tweeter section was crossed over at two different points, which is effectively pointless.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #37 on: 27 Jan 2024, 07:47 pm »
I cross dual OB subs from GR Research to my planar midrange drivers on my Super 7 speakers at 120hz and they are fine.  Keep up with the planars quite well.

AK-Grwn_v2

« Reply #38 on: 27 Jan 2024, 08:28 pm »

Chops, yes Danny said his mod puts the tweeter and super tweeter in series thus converting 3 way to 2 way. I guess the midrange is then handled by the “woofer” part of the panel, but I guess that’s a moot point if the final SQ is improved.
When I had the 1.7i's up where I now have the studios I only had one of the two OB subs. It paired amazingly with the 1.7s. iirc I crossed over around 60hz for most of the time but I was continuously messing around with positioning and crossover frequency.

You are right I'm not being fair in the comparison. But I am looking at it from the point of view of do I want to spend the $ to upgrade the 1.7i's and keep them or just unload them as is for something else. The soundstage of the Maggies is amazing. But there are times when I can't help but hear problems with them. The best example I can think of is the band Radiohead. Two of their albums Kid A and OK Computer, there are sections on those albums where the music gets industrial (static-like?)....the sound from the Maggies gets mushy. I don't think the upgrades will resolve that and feel the issue might be a limitation on the panel design of the magnepan. I still think the 1.7i is an amazing speaker but at this point I'd rather get rid of it and use the $ to fund something else.

Chops

« Reply #39 on: 28 Jan 2024, 03:17 pm »
I cross dual OB subs from GR Research to my planar midrange drivers on my Super 7 speakers at 120hz and they are fine.  Keep up with the planars quite well.

That's totally different as the planars in those Super 7's aren't fullrange and are expected to be crossed over around 120 Hz.

I never suggested that the OB subs can't keep up. Trust me, I know they can. It's just that with Maggies, especially the larger ones like the 1.7i's and up, you want them to play fullrange so you can get that fast and detailed lower and upper bass they are capable of.