X-Voce revision and performance update?

Danny Richie

Re: X-Voce revision and performance update?
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2023, 11:55 pm »
I bought my X-Statik in 2021, You updated the crossover since then?

Yes. I'll shoot a new video on it shortly.

goggle1824

« Reply #21 on: 18 Dec 2023, 01:08 am »
 :o

Danny Richie

« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2023, 02:08 pm »
Deleted

Amir has been told not to post here several times.

Here is it in a nutshell. We advocate that everything matters. Capacitors, inductors, resistors, connectors, internal wire, speaker cables, power cables, interconnects, power conditioning, lifting cables from the floor, USB cables, etc, all have differences or various levels of quality that effect intangible attributes like sound stage layering, separation, depth, size, clarity, resolution, detail levels, noise levels etc.

He and his group think that all of that is a bunch of snake oil and they take any opportunity to attack me, my work, or my company with false claims and various levels of BS.

They believe if you can't measure a difference then there is no audible difference. I believe that if you hear a difference, but you don't see it in measurements then you are measuring the wrong thing.

It is a never ending back and forth that goes no where.

My circle is not the place to bring it, and Amir and his rhetoric is not welcome here. He is just here to stir up crap and cause problems.

He has an old model X-Voce that I designed for AV123 about 16 years ago that was built by AV123. It was wired wrong, and may have a failure in the crossover. That doesn't matter to him. It is just another excuse to attack me and my work.

Many times in the past I have takin a lot of time to explain how he is wrong or doesn't understand this or that. In the end it is just a waste of time. I am not going to waste my time with him on this one. He can take it somewhere else.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2023, 08:22 pm »
I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming video on this topic, largely because I own one of these and am interested in what changes are on the table to enhance my enjoyment of it. I filled the center, open portion of the box with that fiber mat that folks seem to like for the slope on the NX studio, and while it looks nice and was easy to install it seems that no rez or something absorbent might be very beneficial in that area. I hope that treatment of that area is topic for the video.

I dislike the vitriol and the us vs them foolishness that goes on between ASR and the GR community, but if there is a big peak in the response that is attributed to the floor reflection, well clearly there would be a floor in a theatre room so that criticism would seem fairly well aimed in that context. 

To further indicate that some revisions to the crossover are in the works due to changes in the frequency response of the current production drivers, of which nothing was mentioned prior to getting reamed on another forum for issues in klippel testing, certainly gives rise to a suspicion that there were some issues in the original design and some other issues related to parts synergy with current supplies that did not prevent them being marketed and sent out the door. Coming from what I would still describe as being a happy customer, it certainly feels like a pot calling the kettle black situation given your criticisms of other manufacturers.

rasykora

• Industry Participant
    • Sykora Sound Technologies
« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2023, 10:25 pm »
I am looking forward to seeing the upcoming video on this topic, largely because I own one of these and am interested in what changes are on the table to enhance my enjoyment of it. I filled the center, open portion of the box with that fiber mat that folks seem to like for the slope on the NX studio, and while it looks nice and was easy to install it seems that no rez or something absorbent might be very beneficial in that area. I hope that treatment of that area is topic for the video.

I dislike the vitriol and the us vs them foolishness that goes on between ASR and the GR community, but if there is a big peak in the response that is attributed to the floor reflection, well clearly there would be a floor in a theatre room so that criticism would seem fairly well aimed in that context. 

To further indicate that some revisions to the crossover are in the works due to changes in the frequency response of the current production drivers, of which nothing was mentioned prior to getting reamed on another forum for issues in klippel testing, certainly gives rise to a suspicion that there were some issues in the original design and some other issues related to parts synergy with current supplies that did not prevent them being marketed and sent out the door. Coming from what I would still describe as being a happy customer, it certainly feels like a pot calling the kettle black situation given your criticisms of other manufacturers.

Which speakers are you using for the main left and right ones?

Know if your mods significantly helped the frequency response and do you use ARC or eq manually?

ThomasGuitars

« Reply #25 on: 19 Dec 2023, 02:12 am »
Thanks for sharing how much improvement your Dirac ARC was able to achieve!

Which AVR/processor are you using?

I'm using the Windows plugin on a PC with an Element H USB interface>Schiit Gungnir>Schiit Freya +>Parasound A23+>X-Statix
Without Dirac the female vocals are super pinpoint center but harsh and kinda fatiguing, with Dirac the vocals are more lush and warm but a little less pinpoint, still very centered. I'll take that tradeoff. 

Theronbo

« Reply #26 on: 22 Dec 2023, 08:25 pm »
So, both X-Voce & x-Static have cross over upgrades?

& Danny is going to do a video on it…

I have both & a bastardized X-Voce with a LS-Encore xover… guess it’s just am LS-Encore though it’s in a voce flat pack & is forward firing (Dolby side speakers).

Yes. Would be interested in the upgraded cross overs.

Looking forward to the video…

rasykora

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 22 Dec 2023, 09:10 pm »
So, both X-Voce & x-Static have cross over upgrades?

& Danny is going to do a video on it…

I have both & a bastardized X-Voce with a LS-Encore xover… guess it’s just am LS-Encore though it’s in a voce flat pack & is forward firing (Dolby side speakers).

Yes. Would be interested in the upgraded cross overs.

Looking forward to the video…

By the post on the GR home page, looks as though the video will be after Christmas.

Happy Holidays!

Danny Richie

« Reply #28 on: 23 Dec 2023, 03:02 pm »
I shot a video on it earlier this week, and gave it to my editor. He still has to edit it, create a thumbnail and all of that. He has a little work to do to splice several takes together. The camera shuts off at 30 minutes. Then it started shutting down ever 3 or 4 minutes because the batter was low. It also kind of threw of my rhythm as I tend to do everything in one take. So I hope it turned out okay.

The video covers a lot of things from a little history, to new tweeters, new tweaks, upgrade options, etc.

It will be out next week.

The X-Voce page has been updated on the site, but the X-Statik page has not been updated yet.

So hang on.

Danny Richie

« Reply #29 on: 24 Dec 2023, 03:49 pm »
Well, dang! Ron says one of the video files is corrupted. I am going to have to reshoot the video on this one.

OrangeAgent

« Reply #30 on: 27 Dec 2023, 04:06 pm »
Which speakers are you using for the main left and right ones?

Know if your mods significantly helped the frequency response and do you use ARC or eq manually?

I have a 5.1.4 setup with Encore LR, Voce center, and LGK 1.0 for the rear surrounds. I have a pretty solid 70-90hz peak on the mains, which is partly the encores but mostly the room based on the REW plots I ran at a number of different positions. I havent run REW since I built the Voce, but use Audyssey for EQ and I have a giant peak at 90hz on the Voce, its like a +15db spike vs the 9-10db peak on the encores. I had played with the correction plot and gotten the bass reasonably flat with REW in earlier versions of my setup, but havent since the whole thing has gelled into its current configuration.

I have the PCB crossover, with mills and sonicaps on the mid and tweeter circuits. When I got my kit, there was a bypass cap for the electrolytic cap in the low circuit but it was retained.

The encores are about 7-8 feet into the room, with the voce about 4 feet from the wall. I have some panels and small traps in the front corner, with a single F12 sub.

If there is time to include additional content into the video, I was considering whether a roundover on the inside top of the boxes would be beneficial to mitigate diffraction issues for the backwave. It seems clear that I should add either no-rez or some other absorbent material in that area, and if I am going to be working on it, my finish would make it easy to knock off that corner and repaint without adding much time to the process.

Danny Richie

« Reply #31 on: 28 Dec 2023, 02:02 pm »
OrangeAgent, there may be some issues with those original AV123 crossovers. I'd love to check yours to see what is going on with it. If you want to send it to me, I'll check it and upgrade or fix any failures on the board.

Danny Richie

« Reply #32 on: 28 Dec 2023, 02:03 pm »
I am going out of town for a few days to see my grandchildren. I will be back next week. When I return I will re-shoot the video that I made for these.

petemoss

« Reply #33 on: 28 Dec 2023, 03:04 pm »
I have a stock av123 crossover if that is of interest.. happy to pull it and send it if you want.

Danny Richie

« Reply #34 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:22 am »
I have a stock av123 crossover if that is of interest.. happy to pull it and send it if you want.

Send it in and we'll check it.

petemoss

« Reply #35 on: 29 Dec 2023, 03:48 am »
Will do

OrangeAgent

« Reply #36 on: 29 Dec 2023, 04:40 pm »
OrangeAgent, there may be some issues with those original AV123 crossovers. I'd love to check yours to see what is going on with it. If you want to send it to me, I'll check it and upgrade or fix any failures on the board.

That is a generous offer, and one that I think I will take you up on. Ill reach out next week and discuss details for shipping etc.

It may be an interesting exercise to compare my iteration of an upgraded crossover against a stock PCB board or your personal network since you have a current gen X-Voce of your own to use as a test mule.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #37 on: 29 Dec 2023, 05:37 pm »
I have two X-Voce speakers.  One is stock and the other has the Skiing Ninja sonicap upgrade.  I’m looking forward to the video and am curious about the crossover changes.

rasykora

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 7 Jan 2024, 12:19 am »
Video is posted!

Vince in TX

« Reply #39 on: 7 Jan 2024, 03:17 am »
I have two X-Voce speakers.  One is stock and the other has the Skiing Ninja sonicap upgrade.  I’m looking forward to the video and am curious about the crossover changes.

I have both an X-Voce and a pair of X-Statics based on the original AV123s, both with hands-on upgrades by the Skiing Ninja himself.   I'd be real curious what could be upgraded beyond this.   I've had them running for almost three years now in my home theater setup, and they are still going strong and sound fantastic.    :thumb: