LGK 2.0 Preview!

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
Re: LGK 2.0 Preview!
« Reply #20 on: 22 Mar 2022, 12:50 am »
The first pair of LGK are up and playing! They sound killer!  8)

Soundstage and imagining is fantastic.
That said they are best for near-field listening they run out of X-Max pretty fast in larger rooms. But if you roll them off the 100-120Hz you can get them a lot louder and having the sub take over.

Space is tight so the crossover will need to be mounted to the top of the  port shelf.
Its 3" wide by 4.5" long

Here's a shot of the flatpack:

Finished Cherry cabinet:

Expect more news and pricing soon!  :thumb:

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #21 on: 22 Mar 2022, 12:57 am »
Ooooooooooohhhh!  :thumb:

cody69

« Reply #22 on: 22 Mar 2022, 08:12 pm »
For those of us who enjoy building speaker cabinets, will the cabinet drawings get posted as they were for the original LGK?

cody69

« Reply #23 on: 22 Mar 2022, 08:16 pm »
Also, how do these sounds vs the original LGK?

I have multiple pairs of LGKs and absolutely love them.
I'm now in and another pair for new office setup.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #24 on: 22 Mar 2022, 09:41 pm »
For those of us who enjoy building speaker cabinets, will the cabinet drawings get posted as they were for the original LGK?

Yes, I'm working on the cabinet plans and will be making them available soon and they will be on the site when the page goes live.

The kit will total $289
Flatpack will be $100
Assembled cab: $200
Finished cab: $450

Just note that the crossover & wiring will need to be installed before sealing up the cabinet.
It won't fit through the woofer hole.

With the flatpacks we'll be using removal panels to make them easier to install the crossover.

Also, how do these sounds vs the original LGK?

I have multiple pairs of LGKs and absolutely love them.
I'm now in and another pair for new office setup.

We haven't done a comparison to the original yet, but it should be interesting since we have a pair of the originals to  compare with.

Ill be sure to follow up once I have a chance.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2022, 02:22 am by Hobbsmeerkat »

RonP

« Reply #25 on: 23 Mar 2022, 03:20 am »
The kit includes the flatpack? For 289 I mean.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #26 on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:06 am »
The kit includes the flatpack? For 289 I mean.

The flat pack is not included in the price.
The kit with flatpack is $389.

We decided not to do a "base" level kit with these.
Danny is also leaning towards using the Gen3 Sonicap as the optional bypass, instead of the Miflex caps I used.
Mostly to save on space.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #27 on: 23 Mar 2022, 03:26 pm »
The flat pack is not included in the price.
The kit with flatpack is $389.

We decided not to do a "base" level kit with these.
Danny is also leaning towards using the Gen3 Sonicap as the optional bypass, instead of the Miflex caps I used.
Mostly to save on space.

What are Gen 3 Sonicaps?

I'm only familiar with Gen I, Gen II, and Platinum with the Gen I ranging from 0.01uF to 35uF. Gen II ranging from 0.0010 to 0.0082, and Platinums ranging from 0.01uF to 4uF. The main Sonicaps in the kits were Gen I with Gen II and Platinum being by-pass caps.

J@ck

« Reply #28 on: 23 Mar 2022, 03:41 pm »
What are the dimension for the driver for installation in mm?
Thanks.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #29 on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:14 pm »
What are the dimension for the driver for installation in mm?
Thanks.

Mounting hole is 91mm
Through-hole is 73mm
Countersink is 4.5mm

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #30 on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:20 pm »
What are Gen 3 Sonicaps?

I'm only familiar with Gen I, Gen II, and Platinum with the Gen I ranging from 0.01uF to 35uF. Gen II ranging from 0.0010 to 0.0082, and Platinums ranging from 0.01uF to 4uF. The main Sonicaps in the kits were Gen I with Gen II and Platinum being by-pass caps.

The Gen 3 caps are a new bypass caps  that SonicCraft has been working on for a while. We've been using them in place of the 0.1uF Gen2 caps since those are no longer available.

Danny has the larger 0.1uF on his NX-Tremes bypassing a giant Miflex  cap and they're a fantastic combo.

As it stands now, we'll probably be the exclusive provider of the Gen 3 caps.

Im sure Danny will have more to say about them in the future.

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #31 on: 23 Mar 2022, 04:42 pm »
The Gen 3 caps are a new bypass caps  that SonicCraft has been working on for a while. We've been using them in place of the 0.1uF Gen2 caps since those are no longer available.

Danny has the larger 0.1uF on his NX-Tremes bypassing a giant Miflex  cap and they're a fantastic combo.

As it stands now, we'll probably be the exclusive provider of the Gen 3 caps.

Im sure Danny will have more to say about them in the future.

👍 it will be interesting to know how the Gen 3 compares to the Platinum as a by-pass cap

jparkhur

« Reply #32 on: 23 Mar 2022, 05:04 pm »
May i see the slot in the back?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #33 on: 23 Mar 2022, 05:47 pm »
Sure!  :thumb:

You can round over the slot if you like.
4" wide, 5.75" deep 1/2" tall

jeffh

« Reply #34 on: 23 Mar 2022, 08:32 pm »
 Hobbsmeerkat
Can you move the slot to the front if they are going to be on a desk and very close to the wall?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #35 on: 23 Mar 2022, 10:32 pm »
Unfortunately not. The original plan was for a front-port design.

However It created a hump in the response around 200-500Hz, which would habe needed more parts to address.

It should be possible to do a down-firing port and build legs to get it off the desk. Otherwise you would need to make a port that is 3/4or 1" in diameter and roughly 3" long. But it would probably need to be custom made, as there aren't many tiny ports, especially that size.

You may be able to loosely stuff the port with poly fill to help dampen the output of the port.

WillRobinson

« Reply #36 on: 24 Mar 2022, 12:11 am »
The first pair of LGK are up and playing! They sound killer!  8)

Soundstage and imagining is fantastic.
That said they are best for near-field listening they run out of X-Max pretty fast in larger rooms. But if you roll them off the 100-120Hz you can get them a lot louder and having the sub take over.

Space is tight so the crossover will need to be mounted to the top of the  port shelf.
Its 3" wide by 4.5" long

Here's a shot of the flatpack:

Finished Cherry cabinet:

Expect more news and pricing soon!  :thumb:
Congrats on completing the kit, looks great!

The construction looks pretty similar to how I did mine. I went with thin and tall vs wide and short, but the port design is identical. The rear port is definitely the way to go especially if the cabs aren't stuffed.

NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER

« Reply #37 on: 24 Mar 2022, 01:40 am »
As far as a 1" port you could use PVC pipe, from home depot.
For example, a typical 1 inch PVC Pipe is actually 1.315 inches in outside diameter, and 1.029 inches inside diameter. To reduce port breathing effect, you can easily round over the edge of PVC pipe. I've had good results, with non-related projects.

« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2022, 11:08 pm by NXSTUDIO-DRUMMER »

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #38 on: 24 Mar 2022, 02:18 am »
Congrats on completing the kit, looks great!

The construction looks pretty similar to how I did mine. I went with thin and tall vs wide and short, but the port design is identical. The rear port is definitely the way to go especially if the cabs aren't stuffed.

We originally started with a skinny cabinet much like the original LGK, but the driver really needs a decent size baffles with a smooth round over

The football/jet shaped cabinet got a pretty good response, but also wanted more baffle area to bring up the bottom end.

I imagine a more square-shaped baffle with a really smooth rolloff would do wonders for this driver as well. It would definitely need to be CNC cut and placed onto a stand though.

Even so we're still really happy with the results!

As far as a 1" port you could use PVC pipe, from home depot.
For example, a typical 1 inch PVC Pipe is actually 1.315 inches in outside diameter, and 1.029 inches inside diameter. To reduce port breathing effect, you can easily round over the edge of PVC pipe. I've had good results, with non-related projects.

Yeah that was my thought too. A 3D printed port wouldn't be a bad option either for thise that have that ability.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #39 on: 24 Mar 2022, 03:37 pm »
This might be a little out there but what about a cylindrical enclosure?  Can you say what the internal volume is?