In-Line filter sketch.

Rikard Ekval

In-Line filter sketch.
« on: 24 Feb 2022, 01:30 pm »
Hi.  Can any kind soul, help a carpenter with a sketch on the in-lite filter.  Bought two small boxes, two Miflex and rca connectors.  Just need a sketch of the coupling.  Thanks.

jmc207

Re: In-Line filter sketch.
« Reply #1 on: 24 Feb 2022, 03:23 pm »
I'm interested in this as well.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #2 on: 24 Feb 2022, 04:40 pm »
Hopefully this helps!

mlundy57

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 24 Feb 2022, 05:33 pm »
Here's one with by-pass legs and both channels in one box. The filtered signal goes through the caps and onto the power amp while a full range signal goes to through the by-pass legs and out to subwoofers.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #4 on: 24 Feb 2022, 08:14 pm »
Hopefully this helps!

Thanks Hobbs.
I forgot the sub out, but mlundy helped us all.

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #5 on: 24 Feb 2022, 08:22 pm »
Here's one with by-pass legs and both channels in one box. The filtered signal goes through the caps and onto the power amp while a full range signal goes to through the by-pass legs and out to subwoofers.

:thumb:Thanks. I saw Danny’s “dial in your amp” and could figure out how to make it. But better ask twice… :thumb:

Rikard Ekval

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2022, 05:52 pm »
Hi there.
I bought the Miflex 0,047 uF (same model as on my Encore x-over) and made my in-line filters.

Will they change over time, when I use them,  same way as they do on the x-over?

And another question
If I swap the Soniccaps to Miflex, will it give me more clarity and all the good that Danny always talks about?

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: 3 Mar 2022, 06:48 pm »
Yes, even the caps in the filter will change over time and they will take about 400 hours to finish burning in, but will still sound good at the start.

You can but I wouldn't recommend swapping out the caps in the crossover.
As they are MUCH larger than the Sonicaps already in the cabinet.
Even the smaller KPCU03 caps are still big around as a can of soup.
Using the miflex cap in the inline filter will already add a ton of richness to the sound of the whole speaker.

RonP

« Reply #8 on: 7 Sep 2022, 01:55 pm »
ok dumb follow-up questions.. apologies for the thread necro

1) if the ohm load of my amp changes, the cap value would have to change too, yes? (Say I swapped to a different amp, etc)

2) If I wanted to not mess with the signal between pre-amp and amp, I could filter out 100hz and below in the signal path right before it hits the cross-over, yes? The calculator is showing a much larger value of
200uf leading into an 8ohm speaker.

Hobbsmeerkat

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: 7 Sep 2022, 02:16 pm »
1) Yes, if the amp changes then the filter will need to change, unless it has the same input impedance.

2) Yes you can do that, but you're looking at massive capacitors, or bundles of caps, and cheap electrolytic caps.

Tyson

• Audio - It's all a big fake.
« Reply #10 on: 7 Sep 2022, 03:16 pm »
1) Yes, if the amp changes then the filter will need to change, unless it has the same input impedance.

2) Yes you can do that, but you're looking at massive capacitors, or bundles of caps, and cheap electrolytic caps.

My advice is to avoid putting cheap caps in the signal path, if you can avoid it.

RonP

« Reply #11 on: 7 Sep 2022, 04:10 pm »
My advice is to avoid putting cheap caps in the signal path, if you can avoid it.

Oh I agree. Just some mental tinkering at this point.

Thanks, all!

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #12 on: 27 Jan 2024, 07:18 pm »
So I thought I'd resurrect this thread to share my experience with placing an in-line filter in my system. What makes my system a little quirky to do that is I'm running an integrated tube amp and using my headphone amp as a preamp. I was previously running my NX-Studios full range and filling in the subs underneath and adjusting the phase to smooth out some frequency response peaks caused by small listening room. This made for a well measuring and good sounding setup, but I always wondered what it would sound like with an in-line filter. So I set out to try some cheap caps and rca jacks and daisy chain everything together to test the theory. Even proof of concept made for a very clear and lively sound by comparison with bass response measuring the same but having WAY more clarity and tone. I was able to achieve the levels I wanted by setting my integrated amp volume level just above where I was comfortable listening before, then adjusting the subs in from there. With that I'm able to use my Schiit Magni+ in the 0 gain setting and using most but not all of the volume control. It's now set to measure most of the frequency response around 78db with bass under 100hz boosted a bit from there. Only down side is changing sources requires moving rca cables back and forth from dac to phono stage.

After some trial and error I narrowed in on capacitor values needed for what I wanted and I picked up some Miflex caps, KLE RCA jacks, and KLE plugs to upgrade connectors on some Blue Jeans cables. The Miflex were on sale for the same price as Sonicaps so I couldn't say no to that. After plugging it in last night, I am blown away at the clarity, tone and texture that comes from offloading some of the driver workload to the subs. Even with running everything through a Schiit Magni+ in the 0 gain (passive) mode I hear no extra grain or harshness compared to running straight from dac to integrated amp. I know these caps take what seems like a couple decades to burn in :lol: but I'm excited to hear the end result in a few weeks.

Danny, thanks for all the encouragement and sharing your wealth of knowledge with the world. Please keep it up.  :thumb: