Anyone using X-OnWall as Dolby Atmos speakers

uls004

Anyone using X-OnWall as Dolby Atmos speakers
« on: 31 Jan 2022, 01:59 am »
Putting together a current technology Home Theater.  Would like to use X-CS, X-SLS(x 4), X-OnWalls, and a open subwoofer.  Not sure if X-OnWalls 22" from ceiling meet Dolby Atmosphere specification for up firing speakers.

Vince in TX

Re: Anyone using X-OnWall as Dolby Atmos speakers
« Reply #1 on: 1 Feb 2022, 08:01 pm »
I wasn't sure what you were talking about at first because when I built mine they were called A/V-1RS (https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=178029).   I have four of them in my home theater, and even surround tracks that don't include ATMOS signals fill the room nicely with ambient sound.   I'm sure the shape of my side walls helps (or hinders - I still plan to diffuse the surrounds at some point with QRD diffusers).   Best decision I've made second only to changing from SVS SB-2000 Pro subs to GR Research Double Trouble subs.   But to answer your question, I don't know about them being ATMOS specific since they're really meant as surrounds.    I actually have four in-ceiling speakers to handle ATMOS duty.

Barry_NJ

• So much media... So little time...
« Reply #2 on: 1 Feb 2022, 10:58 pm »
For best results, Atmos speakers should be (ceiling mounted) above the listening area, and the surrounds at or just above ear level.
I'm sue you can compromise, and put the Atmos speakers high on your wall, but that would be a compromise and not ideal for Atmos.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 2 Feb 2022, 12:29 am »
The X-On Wall is a wall mounted omni directional speaker with a wide dispersion pattern. A wall mounted speaker with a narrow dispersion will bounce the sound off the ceiling so the sound will appear to be over your head as a ceiling speaker.

Dolby Atmos is an object orientated sound field, each speaker is an individual element so in theory sound objects as small as a bee or drone can move through your room in 3 dimensions. A wall mounted omni directional speaker like the X-On Wall will work but the images will be bigger and less defined. In the long run probably not ideal as new Dolby Atmos soundtracks are refined. Right now, for the majority of films and Netflix the on wall omni directional speakers will be fine but in a few years you will want the ceiling speakers.

As an option, in the future you could convert the X-On Wall to surround duties, add 4 in ceiling Atmos speakers and make a 11.4.1 theater with the right processor (and more amps)

When I was researching Atmos speakers the RSL C34E was always the clear top choice among home theater builders.

I was concerned about beaming and guests sitting too close to a speaker because my ceiling is a little less than 8 ft. plus I needed a sealed design. Ideally Atmos speakers work best in 9' or higher ceilings. My solution was to use four Triad InWall Bronze/4 Surround speakers as Atmos speakers, they are a bipole design and worked out very well. I like the small 13" x 13"square grill, ability to go to 103dB, and the sealed cabinet, my attic has 16" blown fiberglass insulation. The only downside is the price and the 84dB sensitivity requires a high power amp. I picked up a used Adcom 5-channel amp with 60w/channel but a new small Class-D multi channel amp would be ideal. Used Triad speakers are always available on eBay for half or less the retail price, which is where I bought some of mine. The Triad InWall Bronze/4 Surround used to list for $550.00 each. The old dipole version can be converted to bipole by reversing the polarity of the rear facing driver, the arrow label points to the front.
https://triadspeakers.com/products/home-cinema/inwall-home-cinema/iw-bronze4-surround/