Which manufacturers uses good parts?

NoahH

Which manufacturers uses good parts?
« on: 20 Nov 2021, 04:34 pm »
On speakers specifically, does anyone (Danny in particular) know makers who have reliably used good crossover parts? The example that comes to mind is that Wilson bought a capacity maker so they would have more control. I hope they have good parts. Anyone seen who is good?

Early B.

Re: Which manufacturers uses good parts?
« Reply #1 on: 20 Nov 2021, 05:36 pm »
What do you define as "good parts?"

To me, "good parts" are the brands audiophiles use to upgrade their crossovers -- Miflex, Dueland, V-Cap, etc. If that's what you mean, then there aren't many manufacturers who use good parts, and for those that do, the prices are usually stratospheric. For example, the higher-end Sonus Faber speakers use good parts.

corndog71

• Some people call me Rob.
« Reply #2 on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:11 pm »
I’ve  seen Legend speakers use Clarity caps.  But expect to spend 4 figures.

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2021, 10:58 pm »
Salk Sound uses good parts

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2021, 11:03 pm »
On speakers specifically, does anyone (Danny in particular) know makers who have reliably used good crossover parts? The example that comes to mind is that Wilson bought a capacity maker so they would have more control. I hope they have good parts. Anyone seen who is good?
Good parts for audio are 1% tolerance parts,
on a budget 5% will suit,
10% tolerance  are crap.

Wayner

« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2021, 11:16 pm »
Salk Sound uses good parts

Can't see the brand names......

WGH

« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2021, 11:37 pm »
Can't see the brand names......

The resistors are Mills, I erased the values. People will have to guess about the other parts but they look nice. The caps are mounted upside down to deter snooping. In 2014 Jim posted that Solen is the standard cap. The inductors are nice and shiny.

We do cap upgrades for customers all the time.  When we finish a pair of speakers with upgraded caps, if we have an identical pair with our standard Solen caps, I always like to do an A/B comparison (as we did in this case).

When I first hear the speakers with the upgraded caps, I get a sense that the treble is a bit more transparent.  So my first reaction is that there is a difference (of course, I know which caps are in which speaker, so this is not a legitimate test).

Later, I usually have someone switch back and forth between the speakers without telling me which pair is playing.  I then try and see if I can tell which is which.  Here's where it gets a little murky.  I find that I can correctly identify which speaker is playing about 50% of the time - no better than a simple guess.

- Jim

Best call Jim if you really want to know.

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #7 on: 21 Nov 2021, 02:39 am »
Matched cap pairs can usually be had for an additional cost, to me caps all have a certain flavor and it will all be about what flavor you like, every audiophile without exception likes this cap or that cap, but thy don't have your ears. If you have a bunch of time to kill, here is a good cap site to get lost in for awhile.

http://www.humblehomemadehifi.com/Cap.html

Don

jtwrace

• www.theintellectualpeoplepodcast.com
    • TIPP YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: 21 Nov 2021, 02:47 am »
This is the best kind!   :green:

Endo2112

• Particularist
« Reply #9 on: 21 Nov 2021, 04:48 am »
Well played!!

Danny Richie

« Reply #10 on: 22 Nov 2021, 02:26 pm »

The Mills resistors are top level resistors, the rest are budget level parts. The inductors are Zantsen. The reason they are less expensive than other inductors is because they are made from recycled Copper. The Solen poly caps are a good budget level cap. We use some of them in our budget level or base level kits. The wiring looks like PVC jacketed wire. So nothing real cheesy, good, but not great.

Danny Richie

« Reply #11 on: 22 Nov 2021, 02:32 pm »
I've seen a few brands come in with good quality budget level parts like we use in our base level kits (air core inductors and poly caps). Some of those include be Dynaudio, Revel, and ATC.

I have not seen anything come through here with really high end or high quality parts.

mkrawcz

« Reply #12 on: 22 Nov 2021, 03:04 pm »
I've seen a few brands come in with good quality budget level parts like we use in our base level kits (air core inductors and poly caps). Some of those include be Dynaudio, Revel, and ATC.

I have not seen anything come through here with really high end or high quality parts.
Spatial Audio speakers use VCAP ODAMs and Clarity caps.

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #13 on: 22 Nov 2021, 06:01 pm »
I don't know about their current speakers, which tend to be very expensive, but my Von Schweikert speakers have Hovland MusiCaps capacitors, Eagle metal film resistors, Solen air core inductors and all internal wiring is Analysis Plus 9 AWG. 

nc42acc

« Reply #14 on: 22 Nov 2021, 07:17 pm »
The music just sounds too convoluted to me when I do this. 

This is the best kind!   :green:

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
« Reply #15 on: 22 Nov 2021, 08:40 pm »
I don't know about their current speakers, which tend to be very expensive, but my Von Schweikert speakers have Hovland MusiCaps capacitors, Eagle metal film resistors, Solen air core inductors and all internal wiring is Analysis Plus 9 AWG.
Per chance do you know if the internal wire are Solid or stranded?

Tom Bombadil

« Reply #16 on: 23 Nov 2021, 03:42 am »
Per chance do you know if the internal wire are Solid or stranded?

Actually, I don't know.  I know it was somewhat expensive, far more expensive that what is used in most speakers.  And that my speaker was manufactured well before Analysis Plus introduced their Oval 9 speaker cable. 

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
« Reply #17 on: 23 Nov 2021, 05:30 am »
Actually, I don't know.  I know it was somewhat expensive, far more expensive that what is used in most speakers.  And that my speaker was manufactured well before Analysis Plus introduced their Oval 9 speaker cable.
Thanks  :thumb:
I asked why 9 awg is a tick caliber.

SET Man

« Reply #18 on: 4 Jan 2022, 02:37 am »

Hey!

When I go listen/audition speakers the only thing I "hope" for is that they sound good to my ears with my own musics. What parts they uses is the last thing in my mind.

No, I'm not saying that I were to built a pair of speaker I'd just stick a $0.25 electrolytic caps in critical positions. But if reliability is the same between them, sometime more expensive fancier parts don't always sound best in a particular thing. Well, whatever floats your boat man... your ears, your wallet not mine.

Buddy

harley1952

« Reply #19 on: 4 Jan 2022, 03:53 am »
Thank you Danny, now I won’t have to call salk to find out what the parts are on that x-over. Thanks Danny for your honesty!
WGH, the secret parts are no longer a damn secret.