Murphy

« on: 7 Jun 2020, 03:59 am »
New to the circle, recently purchased a pair of Omega Loudspeakers - looking forward to learning more!

Doodlebum

Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jun 2020, 01:51 am »
What did you get?

Murphy

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jun 2020, 02:03 am »
Louis made me a pair of the Super 7 cabinets with Alnico drivers - 2 tone w/ Anigre quartersawn fronts and quilted Kosipo. Look and sound great so far!

Doodlebum

« Reply #3 on: 9 Jun 2020, 01:14 am »
Cool. Are you using a sub? What Amp?
  I have the jr. xrs 8 that go down to 38 hz. I don't need any more bass.

Murphy

« Reply #4 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:16 am »
I have had them about 2 weeks, so still getting used to them. They go down to 40, I am comfortable with the bass so far. Started with a vintage Kyocera, moved to a Moon 340i integrated. Have a Decware Zen in the house that I haven't put in the system yet.

I have an older Forte F44 preamp, so starting to think about amps.

How do you like the Jr.'s? What amp are you using? Thanks for asking!

Doodlebum

« Reply #5 on: 9 Jun 2020, 01:36 pm »
I like my jr 8s quite a lot. They don't take too much space and do jazz very well which is my main genre.

I use a Decware zen 25th and the zrock ll with a Gumby balanced out to a zbit (not necessarily in that order).

I also have another zen doing Cornwalls in my exercise room with great results.

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #6 on: 9 Jun 2020, 02:33 pm »
My experience with the small amp/efficient speaker fans is that they delude themselves into bass denial, meaning they don't "need" it, it doesn't exist, or that it's somehow "wrong", obviously a self-serving mindset.  It was at that point I pulled away from that crowd. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #7 on: 9 Jun 2020, 04:27 pm »
My experience with the small amp/efficient speaker fans is that they delude themselves into bass denial, meaning they don't "need" it, it doesn't exist, or that it's somehow "wrong", obviously a self-serving mindset.  It was at that point I pulled away from that crowd.

Nice post in the Omega circle.  :thumbdown:

jMelvin

« Reply #8 on: 9 Jun 2020, 04:32 pm »

And then there's people like me who fall into this camp but add a subwoofer because we want it all. Painting everyone with the same brush is rarely worthwhile.

RDavidson

« Reply #9 on: 9 Jun 2020, 09:38 pm »

Lame. It has been awhile, but you're still at it, I see ; Grinding that same dull axe. :deadhorse: What happened to those fugly JBL Pro studio monitors you had? For awhile there you were convinced of their technical and therefore audible superiority and were trying to get folks to convert to your way of listening and thinking. Those didn't go 20hz-20khz +/- 3dbs. Who's delusional again? :slap:
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2020, 12:47 am by RDavidson »

roscoe65

« Reply #10 on: 10 Jun 2020, 12:07 am »

You have no way to substantiate that statement.  You have no way of knowing the choices I’ve made and the musical qualities I value.  YouR statement is beyond arrogant and its presence in the Omega circle - a circle dedicated to the fans of Omega speakers makes sense only if you are trolling.  You are not contributing anything to the conversation.

Feel free to have any opinions you want.  I just wish you would go have them somewhere else.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #11 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:59 am »
You have no way to substantiate that statement.  You have no way of knowing the choices I’ve made and the musical qualities I value.  YouR statement is beyond arrogant and its presence in the Omega circle - a circle dedicated to the fans of Omega speakers makes sense only if you are trolling.  You are not contributing anything to the conversation.

Feel free to have any opinions you want.  I just wish you would go have them somewhere else.

I have felt that way for over 9500 posts now.  :duh:
Armchair quarterback is a thought that comes to my mind often.  :roll:

JLM

• The elephant normally IS the room
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jun 2020, 01:47 pm »
Regarding the JBL 708P's:  Still consider them the best all around speaker I've ever heard, but in an effort to thin my herd considered them easier to move along than my commissioned single driver speakers (which are wonderful the types of music I most often listen to). 

Regarding my impressions of small amp/efficient speaker fans:  The first time I experienced it was at the first official DecFest.  Steve had a pair of huge Imperial horns using dual 15 inch woofers for use as subs in a 1,000 s.f. semi-finished barn, yet he and everyone else kept turning them way down.  The second time was at a gathering of Decware fans.  The venue was a 4,000 cubic foot great room that I hauled my commissioned single driver speakers to.  Upon hearing the bass they produced, most there got a perplexed/uncomfortable look on their faces, like they were in a trance almost and had never heard deep bass before.  It was kind of spooky.   

I'll leave my Omega circle posts at that. 

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #13 on: 10 Jun 2020, 04:21 pm »
Regarding my impressions of small amp/efficient speaker fans:  The first time I experienced it was at the first official DecFest.  Steve had a pair of huge Imperial horns using dual 15 inch woofers for use as subs in a 1,000 s.f. semi-finished barn, yet he and everyone else kept turning them way down.  The second time was at a gathering of Decware fans.  The venue was a 4,000 cubic foot great room that I hauled my commissioned single driver speakers to.  Upon hearing the bass they produced, most there got a perplexed/uncomfortable look on their faces, like they were in a trance almost and had never heard deep bass before.  It was kind of spooky.   

The first Decfest was what 20 years ago? How long were you there a few hours? I wasn't there, so can not give another point of view. Steve used to work at a stereo shop that sold home and car equipment, he made more than one car sub system, so I think he understands and appreciates what deep bass is. I have been to a lot of Decfests over the years and have heard bass.

Your second event seems like you really had no idea what others were thinking and just assumed.

Which Omega models have you listened to?
« Last Edit: 10 Jun 2020, 08:31 pm by opnly bafld »

Docere

« Reply #14 on: 12 Jun 2020, 11:28 am »

Regarding the JBL 708P's:  Still consider them the best all around speaker I've ever heard, but in an effort to thin my herd considered them easier to move along than my commissioned single driver speakers (which are wonderful the types of music I most often listen to). 

So, you’re saying that your experience is limited yet that is sufficient to draw absolute conclusions. Apparently incorrect conclusions. I run efficient speakers that are pretty flat to 25Hz at any volume I care to listen. I could happily live with less bass too without deluding myself it doesn’t exist or think that to have bass is wrong. And I have.

This is audio. People’s preferences are personal to them. Diversity is interesting.

Okay, enough. I’m merely a lurker here... time to listen to some Stars of Lid and unwind.

Take care.

roscoe65

« Reply #15 on: 12 Jun 2020, 12:16 pm »

I have a direct question:  what, if any, Omega speakers have you personally heard?

guf

« Reply #16 on: 12 Jun 2020, 04:27 pm »
I dislike that dudes posts just as much as everyone else. BUT  I have to say when I started using subs, adding more bass, with my omega speakers  (or any speaker) I though it added something I was missing. Something didn't know I was missing because it was great already.....completely happy without. In fact I have a rythmik f8 for my CAMs but its in the other room and i dont' feel like moving it. Maybe that means I lazy? Maybe that means they are good enough?

Also in regards to low power, for me thats 2 watts (with Omega or other speakers)  I am constantly questioning if its enough and spend money and buy different amps and I always return back to my 2 watt amps.

And welcome new guy. I think I can speak for everyone else and say that we'd like to see a picture.   :D

AvsFan

« Reply #17 on: 12 Jun 2020, 07:59 pm »
I dislike that dudes posts just as much as everyone else. BUT  I have to say when I started using subs, adding more bass, with my omega speakers  (or any speaker) I though it added something I was missing. Something didn't know I was missing because it was great already.....completely happy without. In fact I have a rythmik f8 for my CAMs but its in the other room and i dont' feel like moving it. Maybe that means I lazy? Maybe that means they are good enough?

Also in regards to low power, for me thats 2 watts (with Omega or other speakers)  I am constantly questioning if its enough and spend money and buy different amps and I always return back to my 2 watt amps.

And welcome new guy. I think I can speak for everyone else and say that we'd like to see a picture.   :D

Yeah, I understand his concerns but the way he went about it was all wrong. Seemed like a very negative type of response.

Anyway, I do have concerns for that myself. I even emailed Louis about it yesterday. I just got in some new Super 3 HO monitors that I have had for about three weeks now. And this is the email and response I got from Louis today.

roscoe65

« Reply #18 on: 12 Jun 2020, 08:11 pm »
AvsFan,

You just got your speakers.  I own my own pair of Super 3HO speakers and can tell you that until you have a minimum of 100 hours on them you don’t know what they sound like.

they start ok but a little tight, start to loosen up a little and sound a bit better, loosen up some more and then inexplicably sound worse before they seem to relax and open up.  Frustrating.

I’ve put mine back into main rotation and can say that after being put away for a few months they seem like they need to break in again.

Louis is correct:  the extra driver adds 3 dB in the midbass.  It doesn’t make the speaker go any lower, it gives it more power within its range.  For me the primary benefit was for the speaker to be able to go louder and sound a bit fuller within its range.  In my room for full satisfaction I still need a subwoofer.

AvsFan

« Reply #19 on: 12 Jun 2020, 08:14 pm »

So, you’re saying that your experience is limited yet that is sufficient to draw absolute conclusions. Apparently incorrect conclusions. I run efficient speakers that are pretty flat to 25Hz at any volume I care to listen. I could happily live with less bass too without deluding myself it doesn’t exist or think that to have bass is wrong. And I have.

This is audio. People’s preferences are personal to them. Diversity is interesting.

Okay, enough. I’m merely a lurker here... time to listen to some Stars of Lid and unwind.

Take care.

And you nailed it. Audio is so diverse and subjective, one persons likes, can be another persons hates. All I can do is speak on my own experiences and what my own personal tastes are.
And I NEED bass in my music! Not window rattling, seat shaking sub-bass I get in my home theater. More that punchy mid bass, hit you in the chest type of bass, kick drums and Les Claypool slapping the bass guitar kind of bass. Rich, full, tight and defined bass. So far I am not getting what I want but I know that the RS5 drivers need some more break in time. So I am not giving up yet, going to let them loosen up some and log a lot more hours and then see how I feel about them.