Super alnico monitors and Decware zen triode

Broadway90

Super alnico monitors and Decware zen triode
« on: 25 Oct 2016, 11:46 pm »
I am a relatively new and happy owner of SAMs (upgraded from Super 3xrs's). I have been driving them with Welborne Labs 300b DRD mono blocks. There is a lot of good press about Decware's Zen Triode SE84UFO2 with the SAM's from this forum and elsewhere. The Decware site is full of claims that they have won over many a 300b fan. Has anyone here made this move? Can anyone offer a comparison or a glimpse of what one could expect from such a change?

Thanks in advance
Andy

HiFiJeff

• Restricted
  • Money Never Sleeps!
Re: Super alnico monitors and Decware zen triode
« Reply #1 on: 9 Nov 2016, 06:06 pm »
Couldn't help you with a comparison but I own the Decware Superzen and am running a pair of Supercharged Omega 3XRS's and am VERY impressed! How do you like your SAM's compared to the 3XRS?

Broadway90

« Reply #2 on: 13 Nov 2016, 05:12 pm »
I loved the Super 3 XRS. The only reason I moved on the SAM was because a slightly used pair became available to me locally - and the owner was up for a trade. I was hesitant to make the move but thought regardless of whether I kept them, it would be a new interesting chapter in my pursuit for better sound and I might learn something. I am happy to say that I have no regrets. 

The only area the the 3's excelled beyond the SAM's is in their imaging. Perhaps they are a tad quicker which improves their imaging capabilities. The SAM's have improved inner detail especially in the midrange. They seem more organic and musical. Although they supposedly do not measure to go lower than the 3's; I believe they do. I have them on Skyland stands close to the corners  of my 17x11x8' room.

Canada Rob

• Industry Participant
    • Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: 14 Nov 2016, 06:40 pm »
Hi Broadway90,

With your speakers close to the corners I assume your system is on the short wall.  If possible, put your system on the long wall and get your speakers out from the corners.  I had my SAMs on the long wall in a 17 x 13 x 8 high room out from the corners and the imaging was insane - wide and deep.  I miss that system and I miss that room, as we have moved since and I sold the speakers (being a dealer, very little gear hangs around for long).