Thrila in Manila : The World's Best Stereo System and Room?

Albert Von Schweikert

• Industry Participant
    • Von Schweikert Audio
VSA Chief Engineer Albert Von Schweikert and son Damon, who is the CEO/Production Manager, just returned from a trip to Manila, Philippines, where we modified two pairs of VR-9 SE and one pair of VR-11 SE to our new "Mk2" spec.  There is a series of photos at the end of this article that will give you an idea of this immense project that was started almost 3 years ago.... Jimmy (our client in Manila) had a goal to find out if "unlimited money would bring live music" to a home environment.  Well, it all started with building a Concert Hall.....

As Jimmy owns a pair of VR-11SE (front "mains") and VR-9SE (for rear ambience), he wanted VSA personnel to install the new Mk2 upgrade to his speaker system.  What's another $40,000 after you've spent $2.6 million, anyway?

MK2 UPGRADE DETAILS
The new Mk2 upgrade for the VR-9 and VR-11 features newly-designed midrange drivers that more closely match the transient and frequency responses of the woofers and tweeters; in addition, the new driver has vastly superior transparency (we don't say this lightly).  Since the impedance, phase, and frequency response of the new midrange driver is completely different from the original Audax 7" Aerogel driver, an all-new crossover circuit was designed to integrate the drivers together.  The new circuit uses our "Passive Servo" control (Zobel-conjugate parallel filters) to integrate the midrange phase shift with the phase of the woofers and mids, in effect creating a phase coherent pulse from the entire frontal line source of concentric array of drivers.  If you like the clarity and "sonic unity" of planar speakers, you'll understand why we developed the new circuit - in essence, the Mk2 upgrade enables the speakers to sound like a single driver planar system.  However, the enormous dynamic range (sensitivity is 96dB @ 1 watt/1 meter) and the extremely wide bandwidth of 10Hz to 100kHz will put any planar system to shame.

The new midrange and tweeter crossover circuits feature OEM Teflon and copper foil capacitors (similar to V-Cap and Duelund units) combined with oil and silver capacitors (Mundorf) and Delphi Aerospace Teflon-coated Single Crystal copper wire.  These premium components (see photos below) are hand-wired on a hand-built circuit board using star grounding instead of the cheap and commonly used PCB's (which suffer from constriction due to high resistance traces on plastic boards -ugh).  We spent three years listening to different brands and types of capacitors and wires to find a musically valid (and highly accurate) recipe.  This is "voicing" where the art of speaker design comes into play from the other end of the scientific side, where only measurements are felt to be valid (a false assumption) by engineers who are NOT musicians.

The additional Mk2 upgrade component addresses the cabinet vibrational modes.  Instead of simply using an aluminum cabinet to reduce resonance, we used a more sophisticated engineering principle of resonance-cancellation based on opposing Q's of three different materials bonded together.  Please read my White Paper on our website called "The Audibility of Cabinet Resonances and Pat.Pend. Triple-Wall Lamination for Resonance Reduction."  In effect, we installed a very high Q layer of stone slabs on the inside of the cabinet walls, which vibrates at a different frequency and Q than the outer 2" wall of resin-impregnated HDF, which resonates at a lower Q value.  These opposing Q's tend to cancel each other, reducing the overall coloration of the cabinet to a level comparable or better than that of any competing cabinet design.  Yes, aluminum has now been surpassed by our new Triple-Wall Laminate design.

BACKGROUND
One of our customers in Manila named Jimmy (last name withheld to keep him anonymous per his request) has built a small Concert Hall on his property that I call "the Parthenon" and proceeded to purchase the finest system I've ever seen (Andy Singer would be jealous! Heck, Harry Pearson would die of envy).  The huge room was professionally designed and treated with bass absorption by ASC and midrange-treble treatment consisting mainly of diffusion rather than absorption to keep a sense of "life" in the critical midrange.

According to Jimmy, he and Jack toured a few countries over the years to hear "statement" speakers and chose Von Schweikert speakers for the ultimate dream system.  Jimmy runs VR-11 Mk2 in the front of the room and VR-9 Mk2 in the rear of the room.  Many of his recordings are 4-channel versions, which immerses you in a sound field that is as close to live music as I've EVER heard (depending on the recording, of course).  The VR-11 Mk2's are driven by a pair of VTL Sigfried tube mono blocks wired to the eight- 9" Excel magnesium Hi-speed woofers.  The four rear-mounted 15" Dual Voice coil hexacone woofers with 40 lb magnetic structures are driven by on-board Ice Blok 1,000-watt amplifiers with a transient response that is as fast as the front-firing 9" woofers.  Bass punch and speed using the VTL Sigfrieds is incredible, better than just about any solid state amplifier I've heard.

Driving the new midrange and existing tweeter arrays (ten drivers in all) are the VAC Statement mono block tube amps, which have the same type of sweet musicality of 300B SET's but have the muscle to drive ten midrange and treble drivers to 120dB without strain or any type of distortion.  In fact, the entire VR-11 Mk2 system is so dynamic and integrated that you can't hear any drivers or amplifiers "working," the sound is virtually as transparent and effortless as live music (according to those who have heard it- and I concur).

The sources are incredible (they would have to be, right?), with twin phono systems, each with 4 tone arms/cartridges per table, for a variety of 8 different cartridges to replay any type of record made from 1950's up to today. It is a fact that different records sound better with one brand/type of cartridge, so if you want to have any type of sound you would enjoy, why NOT own 8 cartridges that you can choose from?

Digital playback includes gear from Edward Meitner's EMM Labs (including the excellent four-channel recordings) and the Eera Tentation to play standard CD's.  Since Jimmy has thousands of Sony Redbook CD's (16 bit/44.1kHz), he chose the Tentation after auditioning so many CD players that he lost count.

As you can imagine, this is an incredible assemblage of the finest gear on the planet, in THE finest room I have ever experienced.  I only wish that my local Dorothy Chandler Pavilion Concert Hall, built at a cost of $36,000,000, sounded as good as Jimmy's room!  I have spent countless hours at DCP hall, and although it is admittedly a great sounding venue with just about any orchestra that plays there, Jimmy's room has more immediacy, greater air and space, and less coloration.  Of course, being a bit smaller helps tame the room resonances.

Please enjoy the photos and feel free to ask any questions you wish about this system -what I call the Thrila in Manila" (and I believe you would call it that if YOU heard it!).

This is the outside of the "Parthenon" as I call Jimmy's concert hall.

Front of concert hall with VTL Siegfrieds and VAC Statements. Column in center is diffusor.

Our Distributor, Jack D, guarding 10 crates of VR-9/VR-11 upgrade parts!

Five racks filled with extremely high end and rare stereo equipment- eight arms and cartridges!

VR-11 SE's ready for "surgery" (upgrade to Mk2 status) on custom- built assembly stands.

Damon Von Schweikert removing drivers to install new stone slabs and crossover boards.

Damon installing new circuit boards for front and rear ribbon tweeters.

Testing of completed VR-9 Mk2's in the front of the Hall using the gear for the VR-11's.

Damon and I hope you liked reading about this project, it was a life-time ambition of ours to find a client who didn't have the drawbacks of a typical budget so we could hear what our speakers REALLY sound like.

Congratulations, Jimmy, for going "all the way" with your Dream System.  It surpassed our high expectations!
Albert Von Schweikert, center, Damon Von Schweikert, left, and Jimmy, right.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: Thrila in Manila : The World's Best Stereo System and Room?
« Reply #1 on: 18 Sep 2011, 09:38 am »
Wow Albert,

Thanks for sharing your experience of "Thrila in Manila".
Great story and nice pictures of the whole operation.

Since I know the VR 11 SE myself I can imagine how the music sound in this 'concerthall'.

Jimmy and Jack must be the happiest persons in Manila now.

Cor

JimmyRD11

« Reply #2 on: 20 Sep 2011, 12:51 am »
Thank you for your kind words and very gratifying comments on the system and the room Albert! Allow me to take this opportunity to say that none of it would have been possible without the passion, dedication and talent of individuals such as Damon and yourself. Having had the distinct opportunity to observe and experience these first hand during your trip here, it is very clear to me why VSA products are notches above compared to any comparable product out there at least from where I (and I'm sure most, if not all of us here at the VSA forum) sit.

I have been very fortunate in my quest by having made what I believe to be value laden choices. This is perhaps why the cost to achieve my dream is actually significantly lower than what it may have seemed; particularly when one considers how much lower construction costs are here compared to the US and other countries. (Not to mention how immeasurably beneficial it is to have a brother and cousin who locally distribute fine audio brands such as VSA!) Again, none of it would have been possible without guys such as Damon and yourself; whose work served to inspire and enable what we have achieved here..

My many thanks again for everything Albert! I look forward to the pleasure of seeing both you and Damon very soon.

All the best my friend!

Jimmy

Jaco Pastorius

• On a sinkin ship,women and rythm section first!
« Reply #3 on: 20 Sep 2011, 10:04 am »
Incredible system and room Jimmy !! Enjoy!  :) 

Is a youtube video of it possible? It would be wonderful to see and maybe to get a very small glimpse into what such a system also do sound like  :)

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #4 on: 20 Sep 2011, 12:48 pm »
Great idea Jaco  :thumb:

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #5 on: 20 Sep 2011, 12:51 pm »
Question for either Albert, Damon, Jack or Jimmy....those "trolleys" were obviously made specifically for the 9s and 11s.  Were they shipped over to the Philippines from VSA for this occasion then returned?  No way could the upgrades have been done without them.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
  • Purity Audio Design -Custom Design and Manufacturi
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #6 on: 20 Sep 2011, 05:38 pm »
That is one impressive system Jimmy. I hope to some day soon get to hear the VR-9 and VR-11 speakers. For the money you have invested, I think you can buy the town I live in :lol:

I see a lot of the amps and sources are mentioned but out of curiousity, what else makes up the system components that have not been listed?

tmij

« Reply #7 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:20 pm »
Thanks for writing about the experience from your point-of-view Albert! And thank you too Jim for allowing a glimpse into The Parthenon.  :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

JackD201

« Reply #8 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:50 pm »
Question for either Albert, Damon, Jack or Jimmy....those "trolleys" were obviously made specifically for the 9s and 11s.  Were they shipped over to the Philippines from VSA for this occasion then returned?  No way could the upgrades have been done without them.

They were built in Manila Gavin and they stayed here. :)  The upgrades could have been done without them but it would have taken longer and Damon would have needed a few chiropractor sessions.  :lol:

JackD201

« Reply #9 on: 20 Sep 2011, 06:52 pm »
That is one impressive system Jimmy. I hope to some day soon get to hear the VR-9 and VR-11 speakers. For the money you have invested, I think you can buy the town I live in :lol:

I see a lot of the amps and sources are mentioned but out of curiousity, what else makes up the system components that have not been listed?

Hi Bill, just heard yesterday about the flood. So sorry to hear about that and I'm glad you guys are okay. There's a full listing minus a phono pre and cartridges or two in WBF in the World's Most Extreme VSA System thread.

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #10 on: 20 Sep 2011, 07:04 pm »
Thank you Jack. We'll be okay as our products are speaking for themselves now and we already have a new facility.

I'll check out the system.

JimmyRD11

« Reply #11 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:14 am »
Thank you very much for the kind compliment Jaco.. Enjoying myself immensely! Will give some thought to the Youtube suggestion..

You're very welcome tmij. It's actually an honor for me for Albert to have written so favorably and extensively about the room and the system. My many thanks again Albert!

Hi Jack! How are things in sunny Hawaii? Looking forward to seeing you at Daniel's dinner this coming Saturday!

Hi Bill. Top of mind, the fairly recent component changes that may not have been included in the list/s are: The Allnic H3000V Phonostage, the Talea Gen 2 tonearm with the Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement cart mounted, the Reed 3Q 12" tonearm with the Ortofon A90 cart thru the Ortofon ST80 SE step-up and the incoming EMT JSD 6G cart which will be mounted on the Kuzma 4Point tonearm.

Jack, Keith and I are working on a 4 input, switchable gain Valvet phonostage which is also forthcoming together with a pair of WAVAC HE 833 v1.3 SET monoblocks which will be used alternately to run the MT modules of the 11 Mk 2's

JimmyRD11

« Reply #12 on: 21 Sep 2011, 01:21 am »
Thank you for the kind compliment Bill. Kindly let either Jack, Keith or myself know when you might be coming to our corner of the globe! It would be a great pleasure to invite you over!

JackD201

« Reply #13 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:20 am »
Bill is only welcome if he brings along a 230V version of his top pre-amp  :lol: :lol: :lol: Seriously Dr. Glenn says they are fantastic, Arthurs says so as well. According to Albert, it is a "complete product". That's three guys with impeccable taste. It must be good.

whell

« Reply #14 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:06 pm »
Jimmy - with such an awesome listening room, do you ever leave the house?  :D 

Thanks for this thread.  For those of us with significant others, we all should have them read this thread.  It will help them put the (modest by comparison) funds we spend on our passion in much better perspective!  :D

Thanks for the great reading and great pix!

arthurs

« Reply #15 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:10 pm »
Jimmy/Jack - if either of you decide to adopt an older child...I always wanted to live in the Philippines.....am willing to do yardwork and will live very quietly in either room so I am not underfoot.....   :D

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #16 on: 23 Sep 2011, 01:31 pm »
  Looking good there Sir. You are blessed to own such a fine system. VAC , VTL and VS are a match made in Heaven.
  What I like the most are the mutiple TT's with the appropiate cart. for a particular recording. Enjoy as I know you will.

charles
SMA

Bill Baker

• Industry Participant
    • Musica Bella Audio
« Reply #17 on: 23 Sep 2011, 02:33 pm »
Bill is only welcome if he brings along a 230V version of his top pre-amp

Hey there Jack, we do accept checks :lol:   

Seriously Dr. Glenn says they are fantastic, Arthurs says so as well. According to Albert, it is a "complete product". That's three guys with impeccable taste. It must be good.

I am glad to hear they have enjoyed this unit. Many years went into it's development. It is an honor to receive such praise from so many well respected people.

What I like the most are the mutiple TT's with the appropiate cart. for a particular recording. Enjoy as I know you will.

I agree. Very impressive vinyl setup. Being a vinyl enthusiast, I am extremely jealous of this arrangement. I am back to digital for a while after loosing all my vinyl and phono stages in the flood but will be back to vinyl. It is obvious these systems were carefully thought out and executed. Who knows, maybe we will be making a trip to the Philippines someday and get the opportunity to experience these world class systems.

I am looking forward to hearing Albert's new 44s at RMAF.

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
« Reply #18 on: 23 Sep 2011, 06:20 pm »
Hey Bill,

Call me when you have decided to leave for Manila with your Pre. Than, at the same time, I will leave from Amsterdam bringing a quad of Kronzilla DX to the same place. (hope Jack and Jimmy won't mind  :oops:)

By the way, the first VR 44a outside the US is traveling to Holland. :drool:

Cor

Holli82

« Reply #19 on: 23 Sep 2011, 09:52 pm »
Jimmy/Jack - if either of you decide to adopt an older child...I always wanted to live in the Philippines.....am willing to do yardwork and will live very quietly in either room so I am not underfoot.....   :D
Too late....my papers are in and I'm cleaning the yard after I post this :nono: