What music do you use as your "Reference"

whytejon

What music do you use as your "Reference"
« on: 30 Jan 2010, 01:02 pm »

I have a couple of CDs that i use as reference disks when im critically listening to my system, or when i have added a new piece of equipment and im trying to determine the difference in sound.

A few of the CDs i usually use are:

Jack Johnson - Sleep Through the Static
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree
Noah and the Whale - The first days of spring
Athlete - Tourist
Coldplay - Rush of blood to the head
Beck - Mutations

Apart from being some of my most favourite albums, IMO they are all very well produced.   :thumb:

Be interesting to know what you guys use??   :)

ceedee

• Industry Participant
    • Musical Reality
Re: What music do you use as your "Reference"
« Reply #1 on: 30 Jan 2010, 01:12 pm »
Hey Jon,

Nice item.

I also use a few favorite tracks.

One of them is Buika's CD Nina del fuego,  song no 3, Miénteme bien.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUa6c6Irlqw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_1Dmw6mrmA&feature=related

Fabulous piano and vocal.

Cor

« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2010, 04:55 pm by ceedee »

whytejon

« Reply #2 on: 30 Jan 2010, 01:27 pm »

Nice track, only got a clip of it from itunes, but the piano sounds very nice, and i love the husky spanish vocals......

I always find it fascinating how much music there is out there outwith the mainstream.  Its also great that people take time to search for it and buy it!  :thumb:

mfsoa

« Reply #3 on: 30 Jan 2010, 01:57 pm »
Miles_Gurtu

pardales

« Reply #4 on: 30 Jan 2010, 01:59 pm »
Ahmad Jamal - Cross Country tour
Bill Evans - Live at the Village Vanguard (recent 3-disc remsaster)
Cowboy Junkies - Trinity Sessions
Peter Gabriel - UP
Sting - If On a Winter's Night
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Wes Montgomery - Willow Weep for Me
Wynton Marsalis - Live at the House of Tribes

These are some of the key recording I use. My REF recordings change over time a little too, as I discover new music I love. 10 years ago my list would have been a little different. I also use the old XLO test and burn-in CD for set-up.
« Last Edit: 30 Jan 2010, 03:13 pm by pardales »

whytejon

« Reply #5 on: 30 Jan 2010, 02:07 pm »

Radiohead - In Rainbows

Absolutely magic album......  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #6 on: 30 Jan 2010, 03:04 pm »
  I'm lucky to have a guitar playing Son. Play the trumpet as well. Nothing like the real thing. We made a recording of which we use. Why? Because obviously I was there and have a keen recolection of the "LIVE" event. A TRUE reference.  For reference CD the Sheffeild /XLO disc. Recorded in phase direct to disc with no creative engineering. There are some music cuts as well to aid in determining tonality, imaging, depth and dynamics. For LP any Sheffield direct to disc Try Amanda McBroom or "The Missing Link" Killers in direct to disc format.
  Then when we play the conventional CDs and LPs. If you have a musician friend or family member who plays an instrument by all means try recording either a DAT, computer or good ol reel to reel.
  If you would like to test every parameter of your system try "Gladiator" soundtrack. Has it all.

charles

thebearded1

« Reply #7 on: 30 Jan 2010, 06:46 pm »
mapleshaed's redwine trio also mapleshape's drink smalls and mapleshade's cliff jordan live at ethels plus joss stone LP soul sessions and steely dan guacho sacd

mcgsxr

« Reply #8 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:01 pm »
Rebecca Pidgeon - The Raven
Massive Attack - Protection
Leonard Cohen - Ten New Songs

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
« Reply #9 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:33 pm »
What music do you use as your "Reference" ?

I've always liked a well rounded sampler of many styles of music....different tracks...variety. 8)

You could put together something like this....

(Artist - Track)

Copland - "Fanfare For The Common Man" ..Cd Link..

Wynton Marsalis  Quartet - "Feeling Of Jazz"  ..Cd Link..

The Bad Plus -  "Keep The Bugs Off Your Glass, And The Bears Off Your Ass"  ..Cd Link..

Bozzio, Levin, Stevens - "Duende"  ..Cd Link..

Ben Harper - "Gold To Me"  ..Cd Link..

Morphine - "Buena"  ..Cd Link..

Bernadette Peters - "Blackbird"  ..Cd Link..

Kalman Olah Trio - "Inspiration Of Variation XXI"  ..Cd Link..

Mino Cinelu - "Oncoming Horizons"  ..Cd Link..

Nils Lofgren - "Keith Don’t Go"  ..Cd Link..

Stevie Ray Vaughan - "Tin Pan Alley (w/ Johnny Copeland)"  ..Cd Link..

This will give you Classical, Jazz, Rock, Blues, and World Music....and cover dynamics, soundstage, image, bass , etc.....all those things your looking for in your system. :thumb:

Plus....all the Cd's are pretty good...

K Shep

« Reply #10 on: 30 Jan 2010, 07:52 pm »
Miles_Gurtu

The first track on the Miles_Gurtu album is splendid!

Seal - Best:1991-2004  DTS/DVD-Audio
http://www.amazon.com/Best-1991-2004-CD-DVD-Audio/dp/B00063F8BW/ref=sr_1_18?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1264880789&sr=1-18

CD 2 is acoustic tracks.  I just took a look on Amazon, currently $74.98 used.  The price fluctuates, I paid $35 for the set.

McTwins

« Reply #11 on: 1 Feb 2010, 06:48 am »
Hi
All of my CD-records :D, every kind of music.

Ambiance

« Reply #12 on: 1 Feb 2010, 02:33 pm »
I use:

-Chris Jones.
-porcupine tree
-Blackfield
-Roger Waters
-Perfect circle

A.

es347

• Facilitator
  • ..I've got my eye on you...which one you say?
« Reply #13 on: 20 Feb 2010, 06:55 pm »
I have several so didn't rush to post here but there are two that stand out:

"miles_gurtu"  Robert Miles and Trilok Gurtu --  Agree with K Shep in his post above.  Although not a big fan of electronica, this recording is mesmerizing and literally envelops the listener.  The soundstage virtually wraps around you and you find yourself looking for those surround speakers.

"M2 (squared)"  Marcus Miller -- I enjoy just about everything MM has released and this cd is no exception.  Pay particular attention to track 9 "Cousin John".  Lots of stuff going on here and dynamics to die for.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #14 on: 20 Feb 2010, 07:48 pm »
Variius tracks from these

The Hunter - Jennifer Warnes
Blues Union - Ronnie Earl
A Deeper Blue - Bruce Katz Band
Paganini for Two - Shaham/Sollcher
Midnight Blue - Kenny BurrellRVG
Rossini: Sonate per Archi 1-6 -NBK Exrleben
200 Miles - Cowboy Junkies

mfsoa

« Reply #15 on: 20 Feb 2010, 09:55 pm »
I am a broken record in suggesting Miles_Gurtu and could blather for a long time, esp re the first cut. In a nutshell:

In the opening seconds you hear sounds coming from well beyond the outsides of the speakers - truly freaky-deaky psychoacoustic trickery stuff. If your system can do it.  :wink:

The main acoustic bass riff is ideal for determining the tonal balance of the bass in one's system - I've heard it be anywhere from all-string, no body to the reverse. To captures the fingers on the string, the string itself and the resonant body of the bass in perfect balance is a tough feat for a system and this track can be used to evaluate the bass balance almost instantly.

Cymbals - I don't know the exact time in the track, maybe 3/5 of the way in, Trilok is doing some cool tom-tom riffs w/ the occasional cymbal hit and cymbal bell hit, while the rest of the group is sort of comping along in support. The cymbals can be heard first being struck by the stick, then ringing, then decaying such that you can sense/feel the metal vibrating in air. With a bad digital source or less than very good Class D amp (like classic "chrome-plated" Class D sound), the cymbals just kind of tizzz and you don't hear the delicate transition. Maybe I can't explain this, but it's a great moment to evaluate your system's treble behavior.

Overall this is one of the most transparent recordings I own - you can hear tiny tiny details way back in the mix even during complicated passages.

And the second cut, well don't get me started!!  There are times when voices (sound hispanic to me, I don't know- I imagine it as a scene at a marketplace) appear and then disappear in different parts of the soundstage. When they do, there is a palpable sense of a window/door being opened allowing you to hear the voices - I mean soundstage just opening up and revealing an extra dimension beyond what's already there. Really weird and trippy. Also the snap of the snare on this cut is a good test if your system is lively enough or not for your tastes.

OK enough.

Well a bit more - When this track (the first track) was played at a Vandy 5A demo, the listeners literally applauded when it was over - I've never seen that at a public demo before.

Sorry if I spoke in absolutes, imposing my personal tastes, but damn for some reason this disc just lets me hear so much of what a system can do/not do, in so little time. I love the music as well. IMHO Trilok Gurtu is an absolute master of percussion and has such a unique approach, blending east and west superbly.

Enjoy!

-Mike

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #16 on: 20 Feb 2010, 10:08 pm »
Mike,

I couldn't have said it better.  Not sure how accessible this music will be for many here but I'm with you brother; this is one incredible recording.

Ronm1

• "A Bug!! Naa...thats a feature!
« Reply #17 on: 20 Feb 2010, 11:42 pm »
Mike,

I couldn't have said it better.  Not sure how accessible this music will be for many here but I'm with you brother; this is one incredible recording.

While this recording is topshelf it is certainly not what I use for everyday listening;
To impress friends/colleagues, yes, use to setup/tune, yes. IMHO the worst kind to take on tour for evaluation.

Mike Nomad

« Reply #18 on: 21 Feb 2010, 12:03 am »
From the armload of discs I take with me:

On SACD:

Getz/Gilberto - The Girl From Ipanema

Miles Davis - 'Round Midnight, Go Ahead John, So What

Steely Dan - Third World Man

Tangerine Dream - Rubycon (Part One)

The Who - My Generation (Mono Single)

On CD:

Motorhead - Beer Drinkers & Hell Raisers, Leaving Here

The Rhythm Devils - Napalm For Breakfast

Stan Ridgway (Drywall) - Big American Problem

Test Discs:

Alan Parsons & Stephen Court - Sound Check (CD)

Chesky Records - The Super Audio Collection & Professional Test Disc (DVD-A)

es347

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 21 Feb 2010, 12:19 am »
While this recording is topshelf it is certainly not what I use for everyday listening;
To impress friends/colleagues, yes, use to setup/tune, yes. IMHO the worst kind to take on tour for evaluation.

The premise of this thread was not music for everyday listening but rather reference recordings.  Right?