"Multi-room" audio amplifiers

MarkDavis

"Multi-room" audio amplifiers
« on: 12 May 2016, 05:13 pm »
 :o
Hello.  I am brand new here, but quite excited.  I have a few questions/needs and I am anxious to get thoughts & opinions. 

My system has a Sony 4k smart TV, Pioneer AV receiver VSX-1023-K, Monitor Audio Silver Series 8's for front Right, Left and Center & 2 Proficient ceiling speakers (rear R + L) with a Klipsch Sub12 subwoofer.  This makes up a 5.1 system, although the receiver is capable of 7.1.   The Pioneer is 80 w per channel across 7 channels.

The Monitor Audio speakers (4 ohm 90 dB) are recommended to be powered at 80w to 200w.  So, I'm on the low end there with my receiver. I am open to upgrade.

The other 2 powered channels of the receiver (front height, zone B) are wired to a NXG NX-SSVC6 6-zone speaker selector w volume controls.  I have 3 Proficient ceiling speakers (C600TT  6 1/2" stereo ceiling speakers, aka dual voice coil) in the kitchen, master bedroom and master bathroom.  These sound OK wired, powered & controlled this way, so I'm inclined to leave this alone.  But, I'm open to change.

Also, wired to the NXG speaker box are 4 Proficient 3-way outdoor speakers AW830wht, on our back porch.  These do not have enough power at all.  They are 3-way, 4 ohm, 89 dB with recommended up to 175 watts.   

I would like to put these 4 outdoor speakers plus 4 more new speakers on Zone 2 of the Pioneer, powered with a new multi-channel amp with enough power; and ability for volume controlled by my i-phone. Or a remote control.

WRT the 4 more speakers - We are starting soon on construction of our in/outdoor kitchen, which is only 10 feet from one corner of our back porch.  That building will have a porch, where I plan 2 more outdoor speakers.  Also, inside the kitchen area, I plan another set of speakers.  I have these 4 speakers in hand - NXG AW6B, 2-way, 6 1/2" 8 ohm, 90 dB with recommended 5 - 125 watts.

As these 4 speakers are farther away, I plan to run 14 gauge speaker wire to them. 

A number of the multi-room amps I've looked into are only 30 or 40 watts per channel.  I've looked at Russound and Niles.  But, I think I may want more power than these offer.  And, so far, only the Niles MRC-6430 seems to have remote volume control.  But, at 30w 8ohms and 45w 4ohms, is this enough power?

Also, upstairs in my "attic" I have my "old stereo", Marantz 1060 integrated amp (using pre-amp), Hafler DH-200 power amp, 2 Klipschorns, and a McIntosh 60 mono tube amp powering a Heresy.  Revox  B 790 record player,  & a Sony CD player.  I would also like to get the output of my Pioneer AV receiver to this stereo.  It would be about a 40 foot length of RCA cable or something else?

Thanks much!!!

JerryM

• Where's The Bar?
Re: "Multi-room" audio amplifiers
« Reply #1 on: 12 May 2016, 05:32 pm »
Welcome to AudioCircle, Mark.  :beer:

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
« Reply #2 on: 12 May 2016, 05:58 pm »
Greetings & Welcome to AC Mark.  :thumb:

David C

• Don't try and lay no boogie woogie on the king
« Reply #3 on: 12 May 2016, 06:39 pm »
Welcome Mark

Hope you get some good responses

WDC at the lake

srb

« Reply #4 on: 12 May 2016, 06:58 pm »
Most of the controllers with integrated amplifiers are going to be on the lower side of power.  You might want to look into a separate controller and amplifier(s) to get more power.

Take a look at some of the HTD (Home Theater Direct) offerings.  They have a number of different controllers and amplifiers that can be wired with keypads if desired and/or controlled by smartphone with the addition of an accessory wired or wireless gateway.

Although Parasound and Rotel have various models of higher power zone amplifiers (100W/200W), they can get quite pricey.  An alternative amplifier with a bit more power at a more reasonable price is the Parts Express Dayton MA1260 with Class D modules mated to a twin toroid analog power supply that outputs 65W/89W per channel.

Steve

Phil A

« Reply #5 on: 12 May 2016, 07:06 pm »
Welcome to AC!

brooklyn

« Reply #6 on: 12 May 2016, 09:32 pm »

richidoo

« Reply #7 on: 12 May 2016, 11:07 pm »
Welcome to AC Mark!

Make sure the Pioneer Rx is rated to handle the 4 ohm Monitor speakers. Some high end receivers can handle 4 ohm speakers, but most are rated for 6 ohms of higher. Receiver's often have deliberately small power supplies to act as inexpensive protection for the output transistors and that prevents their sourcing big current. Often the rated power is into only 1 channel. Just check the specs to know what you're working with.

For playing music around the house like you describe 30-40W is plenty for normal consumer speakers like ceiling and patio speakers meant for receivers, etc. Just because the speaker says it can handle 150W before melting doesn't mean it needs that much power to operate. 1W of power into an 8 ohm load requires 2.83V. If you played a test tone into the speaker and turned up the volume until the speaker signal measured 2.83V you would find that to be pretty darn loud with normal 88dB sensitivity speakers. Doubtful the patio speakers or ceiling speakers or around the house 8 ohm consumer speakers would rarely ever draw more than 5W, that would be extremely loud.

For the 40 foot interconnect, consider using a shielded cable to prevent noise from getting into the signal. A very high quality cable at reasonable price for this would be one of the options from Blue Jeans Cables, about $250 for a 40ft pair. You could also make your own, with bulk cable from redco.com, like Gotham GAC-2 install cable for .20/ft.  There are many articles online how to solder RCA plugs to a cable, or ask in The Lab for help on how-to do it.

Again welcome!!!
Rich

MarkDavis

« Reply #8 on: 13 May 2016, 02:01 am »
Thanks much!!!

MarkDavis

« Reply #9 on: 17 May 2016, 07:47 pm »
Rich, (and others) thanks again.  I looked up and my Pioneer VSX-1023K has an 8ohm rating and a 6ohm rating but does not show a 4ohm rating.  Does this mean that I can't or shouldn't play my Monitor Audio Silver 8 speaker too loud? 

And, I could move this amp to my soon-to-be-built in/outdoor kitchen and buy me a new receiver that is rated for 4ohm speakers.  Any recommendation?  Up to say, $2k.

Also, my 4 porch speakers are 4 ohm, so for 1W of power, the speaker signal has to be 2V, eh?  But, I don't know how this relates to volume/loudness - advice/teaching welcome!

Odal3

« Reply #10 on: 17 May 2016, 08:24 pm »
Unless you want to play all room at the same time, you may want to look into a network streamer instead of connecting everything via your Pioneer. There are some really nice ones that can be had for less than the price of the 40ft cable.