RM-30 External Crossover Wiring

tbrooke

RM-30 External Crossover Wiring
« on: 23 Jun 2016, 01:26 pm »
I have a pair of RM-30s and I am reverting back to a single Amp - Originally there were connecting wires between the two terminals but I can't remember how they were connected. I am thinking it would be parallel - Top terminal to top terminal and bottom to bottom.

There is a picture below.

How do I connect them?

ZAKski288

Re: RM-30 External Crossover Wiring
« Reply #1 on: 23 Jun 2016, 04:47 pm »
Hello tbrooke , Yes jumpers Positive (+) to Positive (+) terminals, Negative (-) to Negative (-) terminals.  Then amp to bass set  of terminals. Zak

tbrooke

« Reply #2 on: 23 Jun 2016, 05:41 pm »
Thanks that is what I thought but wanted to be sure

John Casler

« Reply #3 on: 24 Jun 2016, 09:28 pm »
Yes, that is correct. 

That is an interesting picture.  I have never seen side by side binding posts, but always vertical :scratch:

But any how they should be color coded, just go red to red, and black to black. :thumb:

tbrooke

« Reply #4 on: 28 Jun 2016, 12:58 am »
That was why I asked - side by side and No Color coding just brass - I still have the jumpers - which are color coded and one pair is shorter than the other which makes me think inside to inside and outside to outside - I opened one of the crossovers  up and took this picture if it helps anyone -  I guess having them wrong would reverse polarity but wouldn't blow up anything - but I'd like to get it right - I should of taken a picture before removing them

John Casler

« Reply #5 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:08 am »
That was why I asked - side by side and No Color coding just brass - I still have the jumpers - which are color coded and one pair is shorter than the other which makes me think inside to inside and outside to outside - I opened one of the crossovers  up and took this picture if it helps anyone -  I guess having them wrong would reverse polarity but wouldn't blow up anything - but I'd like to get it right - I should of taken a picture before removing them

OH!!!! I am sorry, I missed that you are showing an OXO  :duh: :duh:

OK put the L-pads facing UP (of course)

Typical color coding would be RED binding post on the RIGHT (facing the binding posts) if that is helpful.

Sorry, I missed the OXO part.  Yours are EXACTLY correct, but take some red fingernail polish and mark the RIGHT Post RED.

Early B.

« Reply #6 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:24 am »
You ought to consider a crossover upgrade. I'll bet a small investment would take the RM-30's to a completely different level. I'm sure some folks around here have done that already. 

tbrooke

« Reply #7 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:40 am »
I would consider an Upgrade - if anyone wants to sell an OXO fairly cheap - I was experimenting with a DCX-2496 a few years back but decided I want to simplify my life and go with one amp and a passive crossover

ZAKski288

« Reply #8 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:58 am »
Hello Tom,

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #9 on: 28 Jun 2016, 01:41 pm »
You could test polarity with a 9 volt battery and then wire the XO inputs in parallel.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jun 2016, 02:09 pm »
Test speakers with a 1.5VDC D cell battery.  A 9V can put to much current through some drivers like the NEO's.  Never test the ribbon tweeter that way.

There are now much better sounding digital crossover out there than the Behringer DCX2496. 

Good luck with the RM30's.  A friend has a pair and really loves them.

Doug Ravizza

« Reply #11 on: 29 Jun 2016, 11:55 am »
Test speakers with a 1.5VDC D cell battery.  A 9V can put to much current through some drivers like the NEO's.  Never test the ribbon tweeter that way

I saw Brian test Neo Panels with a 9 volt battery and done it myself with no ill effect. Never tested a tweeter with one though.

HAL

• Industry Contributor
« Reply #12 on: 29 Jun 2016, 12:04 pm »
You can do that, but a friend with RM50's has 10 Neo panels and multiple were dead when they arrived.  I replaced them for him with new units from Brian.  Coincidence, possibly. 

Since you cannot tell direction easily on a Neo panel, or tweeter, an Ohm meter would be better for a test resistance.  For a woofer, you can see the direction of movement for polarity.  I have seen Neo panel DC resistance as low as 2.8 ohms.  That is over 3 amps into the panel with a 9 VDC battery if it holds voltage.  With a 1.5VDC battery it is less than 1 amp. 

I always side on safety for components first. 

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #13 on: 29 Jun 2016, 02:39 pm »
One thing I'd do is move those two center inductors apart.  Looks like you have room to move the two XO panels by maybe an inch.  Although the orientation is ok (but not optimal), as close as they are they might influence one another

poseidonsvoice

• Science is not a democracy - Earl Geddes
    • 2 channel/7 channel setup
« Reply #14 on: 30 Jun 2016, 08:34 am »
One thing I'd do is move those two center inductors apart.  Looks like you have room to move the two XO panels by maybe an inch.  Although the orientation is ok (but not optimal), as close as they are they might influence one another

+ 1 million. If you don't measure, you will never know.

Best,
Anand.