Pre amp for MC cart, budget 1K

VinceT

Pre amp for MC cart, budget 1K
« on: 6 Oct 2020, 03:19 am »
Did I mention I want tubes as well  :lol: Big ask I know.

I got a Dynavector 20x2 MC cart on the way on a Well Tempered Amadeaus turntable.

Doesn't have to be tubes, used market is fine. At a 1k budget, may prefer going used to get a better bang for the buck.

I am new to the MC cart world, I have been using MM carts on more mid-fi gear and decided to slowly start upgrading. 

Thanks in advance

Vince

twitch54

Re: Pre amp for MC cart, budget 1K
« Reply #1 on: 6 Oct 2020, 01:16 pm »
I've always been somewhat 'Rogue' ................

http://www.rogueaudio.com/Products_phonopreamps.htm

jjss49

« Reply #2 on: 6 Oct 2020, 05:37 pm »
you will not get a really quiet and good performing tube mc phono stage for under a grand, even used

suggest a lehmann black cube se - then put tubes in at the linestage level

or dyna's own p75 - it is very well matched to the carts, obviously

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #3 on: 6 Oct 2020, 06:25 pm »
I think the Jolida JD9 phono pre punches way above it's weight. 

sunnydaze

« Reply #4 on: 6 Oct 2020, 07:26 pm »
you will not get a really quiet and good performing tube mc phono stage for under a grand, even used

I disagree.

I bought three, all used in the $500 to $600 range.  All do both MM and MC and IMO all are detailed, quiet and musical:

JuicyMusic Tercel mk2 (SUT + tube MM)
Blue Circle BC27-pi  (all solid state)
Tavish Audio Vintage 6SL7  (SS head amp + tube MM)

I love tubes but would not consider all tubed, including the MC section, as a good path.  Too noisey.
My advise is tubes in MM section, and either SS or SUT for the additional MC gain.

Some VG phono sections have no tubes.  Going that route I would need tubes in the line stage.  But that's my taste.

I guess everyone has their own definition of "good performing".  Additionally, on what level
of the "high end" spectrum one resides will be determinative of what he considers adequate performance.

:thumb:
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2020, 10:46 pm by sunnydaze »

jjss49

« Reply #5 on: 6 Oct 2020, 09:16 pm »
sunnydaze

i don't know what you are disagreeing with, with my comment you quoted

seems like you agree 100%

how is your reading comprehension?

sunnydaze

« Reply #6 on: 6 Oct 2020, 09:57 pm »
sunnydaze

i don't know what you are disagreeing with, with my comment you quoted

seems like you agree 100%

how is your reading comprehension?

My comprehension is superb, thank you.   :thumb:

Your original comment is a bit unclear:

"you will not get a really quiet and good performing tube mc phono stage for under a grand, even used"

Did you mean an all tubed unit for both the MM and MC sections?
Or did you mean a MC unit that has tubes only in the MM section?

I could be mistaken but I didn't sense that the OP meant the former.  Just that he wanted tubes in the chain.  And I thought you were possibly referring to the latter.  Again, I could be mistaken.  If you meant the former then yes I did agree with you.

Since I wasn't sure, I covered the bases and gave my direct experience with several different versions, all with MC capability.  That's all.  Nothing wrong with providing info and experience, even if it's a touch off-topic.

Is there a particular reason for your snarky comment?    :scratch:
« Last Edit: 6 Oct 2020, 11:13 pm by sunnydaze »

gnuyork

« Reply #7 on: 8 Oct 2020, 06:54 pm »
My comprehension is superb, thank you.   :thumb:

Your original comment is a bit unclear:

"you will not get a really quiet and good performing tube mc phono stage for under a grand, even used"

Did you mean an all tubed unit for both the MM and MC sections?
Or did you mean a MC unit that has tubes only in the MM section?

I could be mistaken but I didn't sense that the OP meant the former.  Just that he wanted tubes in the chain.  And I thought you were possibly referring to the latter.  Again, I could be mistaken.  If you meant the former then yes I did agree with you.

Since I wasn't sure, I covered the bases and gave my direct experience with several different versions, all with MC capability.  That's all.  Nothing wrong with providing info and experience, even if it's a touch off-topic.

Is there a particular reason for your snarky comment?    :scratch:

I'm sorry but that comment from jjss49 was not unclear, and yours actually is.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #8 on: 8 Oct 2020, 09:08 pm »
I was going to say Jolida as well.

sunnydaze

« Reply #9 on: 8 Oct 2020, 09:13 pm »
I'm sorry but that comment from jjss49 was not unclear, and yours actually is.

More snarkiness.....
Apparently you are the one with the reading comprehension problem.   

Read my comment again. If it still remains unclear, ask me a specific question and I will enlighten you.   Anyone who knows anything about phono stages understands me perfectly.

Bob Stark

« Reply #10 on: 8 Oct 2020, 09:18 pm »
Hey Vince,

I'll give you another possibility--the Aural Thrills Serenade at $1099.  It is built by Tom Kenny who has been perfecting the phono preamp for the last 10-12 years.  This is a very good sounding unit, especially with a tube preamp.  He gives you a 6 day trail with full exchange privileges. 

Bob

gnuyork

« Reply #11 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:14 am »
More snarkiness.....
Apparently you are the one with the reading comprehension problem.   

Read my comment again. If it still remains unclear, ask me a specific question and I will enlighten you.   Anyone who knows anything about phono stages understands me perfectly.

Wow. How is that snarky? You mentioned 3 options that were not Tube based MC phono stages, which is what jjss49 was talking about specifically.

I now truly believe you actually do have a reading comprehension problem... there...there's my snark.

VinceT

« Reply #12 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:52 am »
I have heard of the "snarky" many times, I can't seem to find any info on this product anywhere on google  :lol:

In all seriousness, appreciate the feedback

Sonny

« Reply #13 on: 9 Oct 2020, 03:00 am »
Where are you located?

sunnydaze

« Reply #14 on: 9 Oct 2020, 03:18 am »
Wow. How is that snarky? You mentioned 3 options that were not Tube based MC phono stages, which is what jjss49 was talking about specifically.

I now truly believe you actually do have a reading comprehension problem... there...there's my snark.

Gimme a break!  This is getting silly and pedantic. 

I did indeed give 2 examples of "tubed MC phono stages". We are arguing semantics and definitions.  I make a distinction between sections and stages.   As do most folks who understand these things.

A MM phono stage consists of a MM section only. 

A MC phono stage consists of two sections =  a MC section and a MM section.  Either or both sections can be tubed.

Typically, when one says "tubed MC phono stage" (which is what the OP is requesting) the meaning is that only one section needs to be tubed...usually the MM section.

If the intent is for tubes in both sections, the terminology needs to be "all tubed".  For clarity.  To avoid misunderstandings like yours.

Now, the OP may indeed have meant "all tubed".  But I did not interpret it that way.  I'm not a mind reader.  I believed his intent is for tubes somewhere in the phono stage, not necessarily an "all tubed" unit.  Completely reasonable, given his exact words:  "Did I mention I want tubes".  He doesn't say "all tubed".

And I clearly stated all of this across my previous replies.

So I gave 2 examples of gear that meet this exact criteria.

As far as the SS unit I mentioned....

OP clearly states:  "Doesn't have to be tubes"

You obviously missed this part.

So tell me again.....who has the reading comprehension problem?     :roll:     :lol:

gnuyork

« Reply #15 on: 9 Oct 2020, 03:44 am »
Gimme a break!  This getting silly and pedantic. 

I did indeed give 2 examples of "tubed MC phono stages". We are arguing semantics and definitions.  I make a distinction between sections and stages.   As do most folks who understand these things.

A MM phono stage consists of a MM section only. 

A MC phono stage consists of two sections =  a MC section and a MM section.  Either or both sections can be tubed.

To me, when you say "tubed MC phono stage" (which is what the OP is requesting) the meaning is that only one section needs to be tubed...usually the MM section.

If the intent is for tubes in both sections, the terminology needs to be "all tubed".  For clarity.  So we don't have the kind of misunderstanding that you are having on this.

And I clearly stated all this across my two replies.

I also clearly stated that I believed that the OP's intent was for tubes somewhere in the phono stage, not necessarily an "all tubed" unit.  Completely reasonable, given his exact words:  "Did I mention I want tubes".  He doesn't say "all tubed".

So I gave 2 examples of gear that meet this exact criteria.

As far as the SS unit I mentioned....

OP clearly states:  "Doesn't have to be tubes"

You obviously missed this part.

So tell me again.....who has the reading comprehension problem?     :roll:     :lol:

Wow, firstly, I did not mention the OP or his preferences at all, just responded to your quote of jjss49 who referred to tubed MC phono stages not being great under $1000... and your response of "I disagree" and rattle off three phono premaps that were either MM tube stages with SUT and one all solid state. None of those are what I would call Tube MC phono pres which was referred to in that post. And for the record (no pun intended), the OP did not request tubed MC phono stages, he clearly asked for phono stages that work with his MC cart with a preference for tubes. Yes you gave those options, but oddly in disagreement (yet agreement in a round about way) to jjss49's statement. And "all tubed" talk about being pedantic. Whew - somebody didn't eat their Wheaties this morning.

sunnydaze

« Reply #16 on: 9 Oct 2020, 04:50 am »
Wow, firstly, I did not mention the OP or his preferences at all, just responded to your quote of jjss49 who referred to tubed MC phono stages not being great under $1000... and your response of "I disagree" and rattle off three phono premaps that were either MM tube stages with SUT and one all solid state. None of those are what I would call Tube MC phono pres which was referred to in that post. And for the record (no pun intended), the OP did not request tubed MC phono stages, he clearly asked for phono stages that work with his MC cart with a preference for tubes. Yes you gave those options, but oddly in disagreement (yet agreement in a round about way) to jjss49's statement. That's all. Whew - somebody didn't eat their Wheaties this morning.

What exactly is your problem?! 
You are talking a bunch of jibberish and are factually incorrect.

In my first post I responded to both the OP and jjss49.  I gave the OP exactly what he seeks:  recs for both tubed and SS MC phono stages.  And I disagreed with jjss49 about what is possible for under $1k. So what?  My opinion. That's what these boards are for. 

At least I offer something of value.  What do you offer to this thread?  Nothing but a shitty attitude and arguing for the sake of arguing.  I suggest you leave your "other board" attitude at the door.

And you are dead wrong.  I did not recommend two setups with SUT + tubed MM.  Only one.  The other one was SS head amp + tubed MM section.  Clearly stated in my first post.  And all three gears I mentioned are integrated single piece units.  Hence the term "tube MC phono stage"  for the two non-SS ones.....because they both have tubed MM sections.  I suggest you re-read my original post.  Reading incomprehension...... again.

I don't care that you don't call them tubed MC phono stages.  They are, and I do.  And so does everyone else in the know.  And I clearly explained the terminology, and and my understanding of the distinction between "section" and "stage".   Even if I'm mistaken you should understand exactly what I mean and exactly where I'm coming from, and cut me some slack.  If you don't you have some sort of problem.  Reading incomprehension again?

And what in the hell is your "for the record" point?!  OP seeks MC phono stage recs, tubes preferred, but SS is acceptable.  So yes, he most definitely is seeking "tubed phono stage recs".  That you say otherwise defies logic.  He is also seeking SS recs. I gave him both.   So what exactly is your problem?! 

As far as my "all tubed" discussion.....
You are clearly confused.  I suggest you go back to my first post and what follows to understand.  Jjss used the word "tubed" and on my first post I was unsure of how he defined it.  Did he mean an all tubed circuit or just some tubes? (clearly stated in my Reply #6)  So to make myself clear I hinted at that confusion --  my statement about  "all tubed being too noisey".  Too nuanced and "between the lines" reading for you, perhaps?  So if you believe I was not being responsive, perhaps we simply had a definitional disconnect. Get over it, man!  It was only after jjss replied to my post -- when he observed that I had agreed with him -- that it became clear that he did indeed mean "all tubed".  (Reply #5)

My last reply to you about definitions and terminology was because you clearly also thought jjss49 was referring to "all tubed".  Why else would you say I "did not provide any tubed MC recs"?  When in fact I had, based on what I believed the OP was seeking and my definition of "tubed" . So I simply explained to  you why my recs are "tubed", and that apparently there was a misunderstanding over the the terminology.   That's all.  If you had read my posts this would be clear.  But clearly these nuances and intricacies escape you.   Reading incomprehension....again.

Good grief man!  Is it painful to be so pedantic and argumentative?!   And wrong!  Why the chip on your shoulder and confrontational attitude?   :roll: :duh:

I'm done discussing this with you.  I suggest you go back to your $50 CraigsList turntable and educate yourself on the vinyl world.

PS:  typing in one solid block without paragraph breaks is a sign of low IQ.  Just sayin.

« Last Edit: 9 Oct 2020, 01:48 pm by sunnydaze »

gnuyork

« Reply #17 on: 9 Oct 2020, 01:47 pm »
So defensive you are...

What exactly is your problem?! 
You are talking a bunch of jibberish and are factually incorrect.

In my first post I responded to both the OP and jjss49.  I gave the OP exactly what he seeks:  recs for both tubed and SS MC phono stages.  And I disagreed with jjss49 about what is possible for under $1k. So what?  My opinion. That's what these boards are for.  And I was a little unclear about exactly what he meant by "tubed". That's why I added my comment about "all tubed being too noisey".  For clarity on how I was using the term "tubed".   So if you believe I was not being responsive, perhaps we simply had a definitional disconnect. Get over it, man!

At least I offer something of value.  What do you offer to this thread?  Nothing but a shitty attitude and arguing for the sake of arguing.  I suggest you leave your "other board" attitude at the door.

And you are dead wrong.  I did not recommend two setups with SUT + tubed MM.  Only one.  The other one was SS head amp + tubed MM section.  Clearly stated in my post.  And all three gears I mentioned are integrated single piece units.  Hence the term "tube MC phono stage"  for the two non-SS ones.....because they both have tubed MM sections.  I suggest you re-read my original post.  Reading incomprehension...... again.

I don't care that you don't call them tubed MC phono stages.  They are, and I do.  And so does everyone else in the know.  And I clearly explained my understanding of the terminology.  Even if I'm mistaken you should understand exactly what I mean and exactly where I'm coming from, and cut me some slack.  If you don't you have some sort of problem.  Reading incomprehension again?

And what in the hell is your "for the record" point?!  OP seeks MC phono stage recs, tubes preferred, but SS is acceptable.  So yes, he most definitely is seeking "tubed phono stage recs".  That you say otherwise defies logic.  He is also seeking SS recs. I gave him both.   So what exactly is your problem?! 

As far as my "all tubed" discussion.....
You are clearly confused.  I suggest you go back to my first post and what follows to understand.  Jjss used the word "tubed" and on my first post I was unsure of how he defined it.  Did he mean an all tubed circuit or just some tubes?   And my reply hinted at that confusion.  Too nuanced and "between the lines" reading for you, perhaps?  But I did think the OP just wanted some tubes but not necessarily "all tubed".  So I made my recs based on OP needs.  It was only after jjss replied to my post that it became clear that he meant "all tubed". 

My last reply to you about definitions and terminology was because you clearly also thought jjss49 was referring to "all tubed".  Why else would you say I "did not provide any tubed MC recs".  When in fact I had, based on my understanding of things at the time, and what the OP was seeking. So I was explaining to you why my recs are "tubed", and that apparently there was a misunderstanding over the the word "tubed".   That's all.  If you had read my posts this would be clear.  But clearly these nuances and intricacies escape you.   Reading incomprehension....again.

Good grief man!  Is it painful to be so pedantic and argumentative?!   And wrong!  Why the chip on your shoulder and confrontational attitude?   :roll: :duh:

I'm done discussing this with you.  I suggest you go back to your $50 CraigsList turntable and educate yourself on the vinyl world.

PS:  typing in one solid block without paragraph breaks is a sign of low IQ.  Just sayin.

Ugh. You are the one being pedantic. I guess I need to spell it out:

your response:

I disagree.

and then you mention 3 choices that are not tubed MC phono stages:

I bought three, all used in the $500 to $600 range.  All do both MM and MC and IMO all are detailed, quiet and musical:

JuicyMusic Tercel mk2 (SUT + tube MM)
Blue Circle BC27-pi  (all solid state)
Tavish Audio Vintage 6SL7  (SS head amp + tube MM)

And then go on to say

I love tubes but would not consider all tubed, including the MC section, as a good path.  Too noisey.

My advise is tubes in MM section, and either SS or SUT for the additional MC gain.

Wait what?? tube MM section, or SS with SUT for additional gain... So those are NOT tubed MC phono stages, no matter how you say it.

Which is all I am saying.

You disagreed with ssjj49, then posted examples of why you (actually) agree. Which is why ssjj49 suggested you had a reading comprehension problem

Do you understand this? If not there is no help for you.

That's all.  If you had read my posts this would be clear.  But clearly these nuances and intricacies escape you.

:lol:

I suggest you go back to your $50 CraigsList turntable and educate yourself on the vinyl world.

Criticizing my intelligence and my turntable shows your true colors. Very classy.

I'm done discussing this with you.

Thank you!

sunnydaze

« Reply #18 on: 9 Oct 2020, 02:27 pm »
No need to spell it out.  Unlike you, I know exactly where you are coming from and I understand why you are confused.  Which is why I've gone to great lengths to explain myself and have tried to clear up these confusions.

You, on the other hand, have clearly made no effort whatsoever to understand where I'm coming from.  You simply want to argue and play "gotcha".  That you persist like this is idiotic and proves no point.

My first post was a co-mingled joint post, addressed to both OP and jjs49.  I have clearly explained this already.  You are correct...my post was confusing in that it appeared I was only responding to jjs49.   But I have since cleared that up and explained myself.  Several times.   Yet you still persist.  Why?

My first post included a SS rec because OP requested it.  I have clearly explained this already.

And yes my other 2 recs are indeed "tubed MC phono stages". I have clearly explained this already.  If you disagree with my terminology, fine.  No need to carry on like an asshole.

And once again you are factually incorrect.  I never mentioned a unit that was SUT + solid state MM section.  My original post clearly sates one MC phono stage that is "all SS" .  Only a low IQ can interpret it as you have.  Go back and read it.

And you still don't get it...
I originally disagreed with jjss because I did not KNOW at the time he was referring to all tubed units.  I only found that out after he replied to me.  I've said this at least 3x now and you still don't get it!!  Go back and READ.  I know it's hard for you, but do your best to understand.   :roll:

I think most average intelligence people understand me perfectly.  If you are struggling to understand all this, and you clearly are, then yes your intelligence is low.  And for you to persist like this just makes you a confrontational and argumentative jerk.

And you still have added nothing helpful to the discussion.  Just negative energy.  Go troll elsewhere.

jjss49

« Reply #19 on: 9 Oct 2020, 03:12 pm »

hopefully the op got some good ideas from the replies to this thread, there have been several

many broken wing birds here, spending too much time, for the wrong reasons - arguing is unproductive, saps the joy from this pursuit