So Cal Listening Session

Mad DOg

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #20 on: 3 Aug 2004, 05:00 pm »
Quote from: Jon L
Wait a minute...  Nine-eleven, ring a bell?

Oh, well, I guess Temecula is as safe as it gets if something does down :!:

We should concentrate on 3-4 components, and let me express my interest in these.

Gallo vs. Onyx ref III
powered by Son of Ampzilla vs Palladium II (or Rowlands if they show up)

Everything could be done with Equitech in and out of system.

This should be doable in 3-4 hours, and if people want to stay late for others, hey, we can all sleep over :mrgreen:

yeah, i noticed the day when i was considering which date to host the session...and u're right about temecula being safe...

3-4 hours to compare all??? are you crazy??? i was thinking about starting up around 11AM and going to around 5-6PM...that'll give us a good 5-6 hours to listen...i've got 2 extra rooms so if those of you who want to stay over on Sat nite are welcome to do so if you bring your own pillow and sleeping bag.

F-100

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #21 on: 3 Aug 2004, 05:07 pm »
Quote from: Mad DOg
you guys planning on making it? anyone else?

Mad Dog,

Can't miss this one so count me too.  Maybe I can do a weekend get away to San Diego and drop by your place on the same trip.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #22 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:25 pm »
Early/mid September?  I will be there.

Looking forward to it.  If anyone wants to carpool, let me know.  I will drive.

Mad DOg

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #23 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:28 pm »
Quote from: cryotweaks
Early/mid September?  I will be there...

targetting 9/11...seems like a go from everyone so far so this is gonna be the date...

Mad DOg

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #24 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:30 pm »
Jon L and John Casler:

Can you both bring your active interconnects? Or are you onto something else with the latest and greatest technology, Jon L? :)

John Casler

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #25 on: 3 Aug 2004, 07:42 pm »
Speakers:

Ref Ones
Ref Threes
Gallo Ref 3
Selah SA-1 monitors

Amps:

Aragon Palladium II
Son of Ampzilla
Onix H34 Integrated tube amp
Jeff Rowland M201s (if shokunin can make it)

Power Conditioners:

BPT 3.5 Signature
Shunyata Hydra (if shokunin can make it)
Equitech 2Q balanced power conditioner (if Mad dog installs his 20A Hubbell outlets)

Well from the comments it looks like the list is getting "cut down"

Speakers:

Onix Ref Threes
Gallo Ref 3
Selah SA-1 monitors

Amps:

Son of Ampzilla
Onix H34 Integrated tube amp
Jeff Rowland M201s (if shokunin can make it)

Power Conditioners:

Equitech 2Q balanced power conditioner

As usual we might want to do a Speaker comparison to select a "reference" speaker for the session.

Then compare the two lower powered amps:

Son of Ampzilla/Onix H34

And then SOA versus the higher powered 201's

Then once we have the AMP selected we could try the Equitech both in and out of the system.

Amp selection may be tough, in that the Onix is a conservatively rated 45wpc "tube" amp, the Son of Ampzilla is a 100wpc "Tubesistor" (really all SS) design and the Rowland 201s are "ICE module based Digital" 250wpc.

They might all sound very pleasing, but very different.

Pricing is $1295 for the H34, $3250 for the SOA, and $4700 for a pair of 201s

As normal we should have 3-4 "reference tracks" and each participant should get the same 30-60 seconds of the track in the sweet seat looking for sonic details and signature.

We need to make sure and "level match" via white noise track and SPL meter.  I'll record a track on my reference disc.

Russtafarian

• Typical reaction to the music I play
So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #26 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:22 pm »
The time and date work for me with the following caveat:  

The Equitech and I won't be heading out from Orange County until after my son's morning football game.  And I don't yet have a schedule to know when it starts.

I'll get there as soon as I can, but for now plan on a 2pm ETA for me.  I'll keep y'all posted.

Russ

Mad DOg

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #27 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:26 pm »
Quote from: Russtafarian
...I'll get there as soon as I can, but for now plan on a 2pm ETA for me...

In that case, John Casler and shokunin, please plan on bringing the BPT 3.5 and the Shunyata Hydra...  :mrgreen:

Mad DOg

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #28 on: 3 Aug 2004, 08:45 pm »
mikeCTM2, msteindler, KeithR, hifitommy:

you guys planning on making it? anyone else?

Mad DOg

Onix Ref 3s confirmed
« Reply #29 on: 3 Aug 2004, 09:31 pm »
Ok...it has been confirmed that the Onix Reference 3s will be at the listening session!  8)  :thumb:

shokunin

Re: Onix Ref 3s confirmed
« Reply #30 on: 3 Aug 2004, 10:00 pm »
Ok...it has been confirmed that the Onix Reference 3s will be at the listening session!  8)  :thumb:

:thumb:  Yeah baby!!  Is Sa-dono bringing down is EA turbo modded P3??  

9-11 should be good for me, let me know if I should bring anything else, food, drinks, my own chair  :wink:

Mad DOg

« Reply #31 on: 3 Aug 2004, 10:56 pm »
Quote from: shokunin

9-11 should be good for me, let me know if I should bring anything else, food, drinks, my own chair  :wink:

folding chairs? hmmm...we just may need a few of these! i'm serious as it looks like this is drawing a good number of folks...

Sa-dono's EA Turbo modded P-3/A w/ superclock? He hasn't offered to bring it but maybe he can be convinced to bring it seeing as it isn't all that big or heavy...

Sa-dono

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #32 on: 4 Aug 2004, 04:58 am »

3-4 hours to compare all??? are you crazy??? i was thinking about starting up around 11AM and going to around 5-6PM...that'll give us a good 5-6 hours to listen...i've got 2 extra rooms so if those of you who want to stay over on Sat nite are welcome to do so if you bring your own pillow and sleeping bag.

I'm down with the listening session going for longer. Well that is if John promises to wear his deodorant and Depends. :lol:

I claim one of the rooms! :D

Sa-dono

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #33 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:02 am »
Quote from: cryotweaks
Early/mid September?  I will be there.

Looking forward to it.  If anyone wants to carpool, let me know.  I will drive.

I'll take up that generous offer...I hope you drive fast. :jester:

Sa-dono

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #34 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:04 am »
Quote from: Russtafarian
...I'll get there as soon as I can, but for now plan on a 2pm ETA for me...

In that case, John Casler and shokunin, please plan on bringing the BPT 3.5 and the Shunyata Hydra...  :mrgreen:

I would like to compare these three conditioners, so do bring them if you can. :D

Sa-dono

« Reply #35 on: 4 Aug 2004, 05:07 am »

If it's not in the shop. I'm contemplating some changes.

ooheadsoo

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #36 on: 10 Aug 2004, 05:17 pm »
The mbow1's are finished.  It's not quite transportation ready yet, but with some care (if I bring a friend along to hold the speakers) I should be able to cart it around without something getting mixed up inside if I add a bit more goop to hold the xovers down.

But if no one really wants to hear them, no big deal :)  There's a lot on the plate already.  I'm also a bit embarassed to show my cabinet finish because I botched it pretty badly.  :lol:

shokunin

preamp
« Reply #37 on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:48 am »
MD,

I forget which preamp your using, but does it have balanced out?  The Rowlands are balanced inputs only, unless you use a xlr->rca adapter which I don't have.   I believe John's SOA is in the same boat but requires a phono  adapter instead of an RCA adapter.

I have plenty of balanced cables here if your preamp has balanced outputs.

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
Re: preamp
« Reply #38 on: 11 Aug 2004, 12:57 am »
MD,

I forget which preamp your using, but does it have balanced out?  The Rowlands are balanced inputs only, unless you use a xlr->rca adapter which I don't have.   I believe John's SOA is in the same boat but requires a phono  adapter instead of an RCA adapter.

I have plenty of balanced cables here if your preamp has balanced outputs.

If you guys need adapters, I can loan you a set I received with my 201's.  When I bought mine, I had all single ended ic's.  I have subsequently converted my system to all balanced.

Let me know.

George

shokunin

So Cal Listening Session
« Reply #39 on: 11 Aug 2004, 01:03 am »
Thanks Zybar!!  We might need to take you up on that offer.  Did you notice any performance loss when using the adapter?  I know there is an internal jumper to change the gain on the inside of the 201's 26db vs. 36db.