[q]are hybrid planar speakers discussed here ?

worker

[q]are hybrid planar speakers discussed here ?
« on: 25 Jan 2012, 04:02 am »
Hello
wanted to check if hybrid planar speakers such as Strata Mini and Arx A3 are discussed.

Strata mini's are no longer made (the company closed), arx a3 are made though.

wanted to ask if there are people who drive them with class-D amplifiers.  And what are the characteristics of those amps (DIY or pre-built) -- and what kind of sound and imaging they are getting from either one of those (interested in opinion for Pop-opera like music if that matters)

thank you in advance

josh358

Re: [q]are hybrid planar speakers discussed here ?
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2012, 02:54 am »
I'm afraid I can't answer your question, but we were discussing a hybrid the other day so I'd say it's fair game. (Well, I can say a bit about Class D -- always great on the bass, some have a plastic sound in the highs -- you have to do some research, they aren't all created equal but some people have had excellent results with the better ones on planars.)

worker

« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2012, 05:02 am »
thanks for the reply
I am thinking to get SDS-258 either kit or prebuilt amp (kit plus a 60 bucks case will be just 100 cheaper than the full build)

http://classdaudio.com/amplifier-kits-1/sds-258-kit.html

The Strata minis (I have them) -- are sounding some what muffled with my current setup.
I have to make an effort to hear high (above 5 khz sounds) and I do not get much of the rolling highs
(I have a generic integrated amp rated 140 rms -- and I think I am  not doing the justice to the speakers)

In the future I am also going to get arx a5 (they are being made) -- that's why I asked about the arx a3 (as they are similar)

josh358

« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2012, 11:03 pm »
I'll be curious to know how the amps work out. I've seen that site, never heard from anyone who had built one, though.