Show us your Home Theater room *** (photos) ***

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
  • "Introverted Basement Dwelling Troll"
Show us your Home Theater room *** (photos) ***
« on: 19 Apr 2008, 07:08 pm »
EDIT: Nov 4 2009

Hi there!
As the new facilitator/moderator of the forum, I'd like to start off with a "photo sticky" of our Home Theater rooms.

It's time to show off your "man cave".
Not necessarily close ups of the amps and speakers, we've all seen those. I'm talking about the entire front wall, side walls, rear walls. The angles we don't normally see.
A huge inventoried write up of your equipment is not necessary, just a short caption under each photo of what's shown. Maybe a comment or two of things we may not notice at first glance.

EDIT: Yea....It is necessary. Go ahead and tell us about all your toys.  aa
I'll start:

- This is a couple month old photo, but the "yardsale" like appearance of drivers has recently dwindled considerably due to the addition of infinite baffle.
- The screen is a 16:9 140" diagonal I built a few years ago. It's hinged at the top to access a storage area behind. Total width is 10' side to side.

- This is closer to what it looks like today. Shown are the two front mains, dual subs, and center channel. All 15" HawthorneAudio drivers. Under the screen are four more H.A. drivers in (almost) infinite baffle (I.B.)
- To the left of the photograph behind the DIY smoked glass door is the equipment rack. Wasn't the focus of the photo when I snapped it so it's hard to see in there, but the glowing LED's that can be seen starting from the top is the DirecTv Tivo receiver, Harman Kardon receiver (the 'hub' of the room), and Jolida tube amp glowing towards the bottom.
- "White Lightning Cables" are not in the photo, but are a recent edition.
- CD, DVD, and LP storage in the cabinets under and to the sides of the screen.

An accidental photograph, but I think it looks cool. The blue glow is caused from the "blue screen of nothing" when no content is being fed to the projector.
- Berkline microfiber reclining HT seating. Very nice
- Sanyo PLV-Z2 780p/1080i projector. Wonderful machine (no dust blobs. ever.)
- 10" H.A. Coaxials for rear surrounds have since received new clothes, but still provide rear content.
- My Dell PC centered between and behind the seating provide a nice audible and visual second row experience when I'm online chatting with you folks, or playing with EAC/FLAC, SlimServer stuff.

That's all the photos I have right now.

Your turn............  :thumb:
Bob
« Last Edit: 4 Nov 2009, 07:59 pm by Bob in St. Louis »

drcruz

Re: Show us your Home Theater room *** (photos) ***
« Reply #1 on: 20 Apr 2008, 09:51 pm »
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;area=browse;album=1453

My gallery pix need serious updating, the turntable is not in the pictures. Also the plasma screen does not look that washed out in real life.

My Current and very Humble System:
Tosiba SD-6200 DVD Player
VPI Aries Turntable, JMW-10 Arm, Sumiko Celebration MC Cartridge
Rotel RQ-970BX Phono Stage
Pioneer VSX-D HT Receiver
5 Speakercraft AIM3 in ceiling speakers
2 ACI Force Subs
Plain vanila (whatever I could find) IC's
Plain gage wire (from Monster Cable) speaker wire

My upgrade list:
An old B&K 1430 3-channel amp
The Promitheus 6-channel custom TVC (to replace the recevier - http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=50970.0 ; http://www.promitheusaudio.com/multichannel-TVC.htm )
Blue Jean IC's
Anti-Cable Speaker wire
« Last Edit: 24 Apr 2008, 11:32 pm by drcruz »

Mag

« Reply #2 on: 24 Apr 2008, 10:01 pm »
I will post mine but my room is a complete mess. It may take me some time to get around to cleaning. I also have to re-install programs on my new computer.

Mag

Wayner

« Reply #3 on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:10 pm »
Here is mine, Bob.

Wayner

drcruz

« Reply #4 on: 24 Apr 2008, 11:33 pm »
Sorry link fixed

Scott F.

« Reply #5 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:33 am »
Here is a pic or two of my old setup.

Since this setup we've completely changed the room orientation and gotten rid of the 'entertainment center'. Before we had the Mits on the long wall (25x12 room). Now we've got it on the 12' wall. Unfortunately I can't take pics of the new room setup for a few more days as we are smack dab in the middle of repainting the room (we are about halfway through the ceiling and just prepping the walls). I'll post some pics in a week or two.

Mag

« Reply #6 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:00 am »
ht

The Paradigm Studio 20's (left, right centre) and 100's (left, right back corner) are the fronts. Both powered by the 3B SST.
The Paradigm Monitor 9's (front left, right corner) are surrounds powered  by the 3B ST. The B&W are also surrounds powered by the Yamaha av/receiver.
The center and rear channel speakers are powered by the Bryston 2B Lp.

When listening to music 95% of the time, receiver is set to 6ch stereo soundfield. For movies I usually use Spectacle soundfield.

The studio 100's are aimed to bounce off the front wall. This serves to blend soundfield making localizing speakers difficult as well as not blasting directly in my ears.
« Last Edit: 25 Apr 2008, 06:28 am by Mag »

Mag

« Reply #7 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:05 am »

Mag

« Reply #8 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:09 am »

Mag

« Reply #9 on: 25 Apr 2008, 06:15 am »
ht

csero

« Reply #10 on: 25 Apr 2008, 01:47 pm »
Here is mine. Picture is not the best, but it is really dark down there.

18' by 12' by 7'  All the walls and ceiling are covered with at least 5" multilayer sound absorbing material. Floor has 3 layers of carpet and padding. The room is quite dead, wide band Rt60 is < 0.2s

The room has 9 identical IB 2way 12"/horn combo speakers and occasionally 2 18" sealed subs are in service. Planning to move them to IB too.

The screen is 120" curved.

The projector is an ELECTROHOME CRT projector, video sourcees are either htpc or modified Bravo D1 at 1440/960p 72 Hz refresh via DVI. No HD content yet, don't care much for what is available on HD currently.
The room and playback is optimized for multichannel ambiophonic audio reproduction. All audio processing is done on a PC for the 9 channels.

BTW before I built it, I was one of the gusy who loudly proclaimed, that a small screen and mono sound is enough for the movies I consider worthwile to watch. Since the HT room in service, my opinion changed substantially. :D

Big Red Machine

« Reply #11 on: 25 Apr 2008, 02:14 pm »
Here ya go!

ebag4

« Reply #12 on: 25 Apr 2008, 03:18 pm »
This is my HT:
Tyler Acoustics Taylo Ref Monitors x3, AE IB15 x4 Infinite Baffle Sub powered by 2400 Watt Behringer 2500 amp, 105" diagonal DIY screen (Mississippi Mud), Everyones Favorite HD Extension Cord Speaker Wire

Right Rear Speaker NHT Super Zero, Below the speaker "The Boss", painted by my mother

Equipment Closet, From Top  Down-DIY HTPC, Motorola HD Cable Box, Toshiba SD-6200 DVD Player, Outlaw Audio M200 amps x2, Outlaw Audio Model 950 Pre/Pro, Outlaw Audio M200 amps x3, Also connected but not shown Sony PS3 via HDMI

A few Screenshots, HTPC program used is Xlobby, Theatertek is used for DVD playback, Foobar 2000 for Audio

Projector (not shown) Infocus IN72

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #13 on: 25 Apr 2008, 04:47 pm »
 :o ........ :lol: .......... :rotflmao:
WOW cool! A screen shot of MY room! That's cool, thanks Ed!
I had to do a double take on that one.  :wink:

You guys have some cool looking rooms.
It would be neat to have an "AudioCircle Home Theater Hop" where we could tour each others rooms.  aa

Keep the cool photos comin'! I've seen some lurkers that I KNOW have rooms worthy of a photo or two.
Thanks guys!

Bob

drcruz

« Reply #14 on: 27 Apr 2008, 06:46 pm »
Mag, That's some MAN cave you got there.   :P  (j/k)  :wink:

zybar

• Volunteer
  • Dutch and Dutch 8C's…yes they are that good!
« Reply #15 on: 6 May 2008, 12:22 am »
Here are a few pics of my HT(still a work in progress)

George

ted_b

• Volunteer
  • "we're all bozos on this bus" F.T.
« Reply #16 on: 6 May 2008, 01:50 am »
Here's mine.  A full SP Tech 2 channel and 5.1 music system, along with a movie 7.1 system (using the same front 3 channels for both 5.1 and 7.1).  The screen is a Stewart Studiotek 130 110" 16:9 wall mount.  The mains are SP TEch Revelation MR1 MKIII's, driven by a McCormack DNA-500 amp; the center an SP Tech Continuum AD, powered by a McCormack DNA 1 Deluxe...all three speakers with Ultimate Mundorf external crossover boxes.  The LFE sub is a Paradigm Servo 15.

The rear music speakers are SP Tech Continuums with Intermediate Mundorf external crossovers (driven by a soon-to-be McCormack DNA-225, currently an RB-991); the music surrounds, side and rear wall-mounted (rears just barely in view at top of pic), are Alon Centris dipoles and driven by an Anthem PVA5.  As you can see the room is well trapped by over a dozen of Ethan Winer's RealTrap bass traps, RFZ's and diffusors.

The room is pretty much equipped-out, but will undergo a SIGNIFICANT cosmetic facelift this summer.  The ceiling and sloped areas will be painted black, the walls dark gray and the carpet has just been ordered (dark gray/black patterned).  The back third of the room (behind the front row of chairs) will be raised 8 inches, to create a second row of seats (sofa) and be even with the foyer entrance (where the pic was taken).  The two equipment towers are somewhat dedicated; one audio, one video, with a 2M set of HT bypass cables connecting them.  Check my system page for the equipment list.

Here's a wider shot showing the side and rear movie surrounds, etc.

ASi_TEK

• NO LIMITS!!!
    • www.asi-tek.com
« Reply #17 on: 6 May 2008, 03:34 am »
I have experienced Pete's (Big Red Machines) Sanctum HT and it is quite amazing!  I love that 300 pound wood door!

dogorman

« Reply #18 on: 27 Jun 2008, 07:10 pm »
I have two questions, one for the whole room and one for Mag, in particular.

First, for the whole room: How do I make my pictures show up in the body of my post like this?

Second, for Mag: after climbing over all of that gear inside our own minds, should we perhaps be taking any sort of ironic message from the fact that the video monitor in your last picture has the caption, "Whale Sighting"?  :lol:

Bob in St. Louis

• Facilitator
« Reply #19 on: 27 Jun 2008, 07:38 pm »
How do I make my pictures show up in the body of my post like this?
Here's a good thread about that very subject:
http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=40968.0

PM me if you need 'tech support'. :thumb:

HEY GUYS ........... We need more photos of your HT rooms! aa