SET400 FOR SALE at The Music Room

jandrews

SET400 FOR SALE at The Music Room
« on: 8 Jul 2023, 01:28 pm »
Just FYI
Here’s a really nice looking SET400 with black faceplate and soft start power button / blue LED.
I typically find TMR’s pricing a bit high on their used gear especially as it’s only warrantied for 45 days. I have no idea what it’s like buying gear from them.
I’d love to eventually replace my black SET120 with a black SET400 to power my LRS’s and to pair with my RB10 preamp.  But now is not the time for me.
So… if anyone is looking, here’s the link :
https://tmraudio.com/components/power-amplifiers/audio-by-van-alstine-vision-set-400-stereo-power-amplifier-black/

gene9p

Re: SET400 FOR SALE at The Music Room
« Reply #1 on: 8 Jul 2023, 01:35 pm »
they probably paid the guy  999 for it.. they low ball you to sell and then resell very high. I dealt with them in the past with some Mac gear and they were great, but the last few years..ugh!!!

jandrews

« Reply #2 on: 8 Jul 2023, 01:44 pm »
Yeah, I bet you’re right.
Everyone’s trying to make money.
I would much rather buy from the original owner from this circle or from AVA’s pre-owned selections.
Still, I haven’t seen these come up on the used market too often

WGH

« Reply #3 on: 8 Jul 2023, 01:58 pm »
I have bought from TMR a couple of times and think their prices are fair. Super fast shipping in bullet proof packaging.
I considered them an A++ reseller.

Small businesses need to make at least 50% above cost or the won't be around very long. TMR checks out the electronics and makes sure it works perfectly before selling. I never consider what they may have paid, just what I pay. You will never find a SET 400 with a warranty for less.

jandrews

« Reply #4 on: 8 Jul 2023, 02:06 pm »
@WGH, Great to know you’ve have positive experiences with them

RonN5

« Reply #5 on: 8 Jul 2023, 03:02 pm »
So....they show the new price as $1999....and they are selling it for $1799 + $65 shipping....let's assume they will knock off $150....still, not a great deal but it looks to be in the ballpark of what other Vision Set 400's have sold for recently.

jpm

« Reply #6 on: 8 Jul 2023, 03:31 pm »
I bought one item from TMR and decided to return it, which was hassle free and impressed me how smoothly it went.

Recently I put together a deal with them trading multiple pieces of equipment towards new gear. The worst thing I could say about the deal is that it took a long time to put together. They paid all shipping costs and just like when you trade in a car I saved sales tax on the value of what I traded. They gave me a nice discount on the new gear to make it all work.

If you're going to sell to them it's understood that you'll make less than selling privately, but they earn their money. In my case, I had a few items that were going to be slow to sell (I tried) and items that had been sitting idle for years all of which didn't get me anywhere. For me it really worked out well - I'd use them again and recommend them as both a buyer and seller.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 8 Jul 2023, 03:45 pm »
All of these guys sit on the computer all day comparing prices, what it sold for, what the initial ask was, did they lower the price, how long on the market, what was the condition.  They know exactly what the highest price they can get for the unit in a reasonably fast period of time.  Since you can buy these items elsewhere for less they are selling you service.  Don't judge them by the product you purchased, rather by the service you received.

jandrews

« Reply #8 on: 8 Jul 2023, 04:00 pm »
letitroll98, good point. Obviously they need to keep the lights on and people employed, etc and I’m sure they know what the market can bear. If they are able to fill in the gaps with good service, then it all makes sense.

Just to be clear, I was not intending to spark a debate on the merits or not of using TMR or another similar service.   Just meant to say that there’s a nice looking SET400 available there. I wish I could buy one now, but literally just spent $7k putting a new engine in my 13 year-old Subaru.

gene9p

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jul 2023, 05:23 pm »
I'm sure they are still ok to buy from..it's their trade in values that have been very poor to say the least. They used to be be very fair and  they used to call me regularly about gear I had that I wanted to sell but things have changed.

SteveFord

• Volunteer
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
« Reply #10 on: 8 Jul 2023, 11:41 pm »
I tried to see about trading in some stuff towards a used item they had.
Thank you, anyway...

avahifi

« Reply #11 on: 10 Jul 2023, 01:57 pm »
This amplifier was built in early 2021 and appears to be in excellent condition.

The asking price is reasonable.

Frank

aln

Re: SET400 FOR SALE at The Music Room - Gone!
« Reply #12 on: 11 Jul 2023, 09:35 pm »
Fet - Valve 350 for sale on Audiogon.

jandrews

« Reply #14 on: 27 Jul 2023, 12:16 pm »
Very nice example
That amp and a pair of LRS’s just seems like the perfect combo.

mav52

« Reply #15 on: 28 Jul 2023, 01:20 pm »
I have bought from TMR a couple of times and think their prices are fair. Super fast shipping in bullet proof packaging.
I considered them an A++ reseller.

Small businesses need to make at least 50% above cost or the won't be around very long. TMR checks out the electronics and makes sure it works perfectly before selling. I never consider what they may have paid, just what I pay.

Like you have have dealt with them for years and have had nothing but good service and the equipment worked as noted.