Bryston Manic Moose Interface

terrycym

Re: Bryston Manic Moose Interface
« Reply #40 on: 1 Jul 2020, 12:44 pm »
As a suggestion, why not make something like (but obviously better than!) the Roon Nucleus with better power supplies, audio grade USB output etc and running Roon Core
A Bryston Roon Server!
It can have a web UI to configure Bryston specific config but music is controlled via the Roon app
If you decide to make one, let me know and I'll place my order ASAP.
No need for a MM replacement

Roon is really the way to go today!

Why make a Alpine sports car and put a Dacia interior in it?

Norton

« Reply #41 on: 1 Jul 2020, 12:45 pm »
I’ve been using BDPs for 6 years now and pretty happy with MM.  I just want folder view, Qobuz integration and a basic search facility, so not too fussed about look and feel of an interface.  If I want the Roon experience I can switch the BDP into RAAT mode.  I would though like more sophisticated, full screen navigation and browsing for Qobuz in MM, plus addition of HQP NAA as a service.

I’m surprised that the  nature of MM in itself would be enough to make someone give up on the BDP. From the first day I took home a BDP, I’ve always found it quick and easy to find and play my music across various sources and formats. Whatever occasional frustrations I have had have been more  to do with underlying  performance  rather  than the interface - as I recall Tidal playback was pretty hit and miss a couple of years back, for example. 

My BDP1 seems pretty solid these days both with Qobuz and local library on network shares - it is remarkable and a credit to Bryston that a digital product launched a decade ago continues to evolve, be supported and perform in ways quite distinct from that originally conceived.  Although I guess that NN may mark the end of development  for the BDP1?

NorthMac

« Reply #42 on: 1 Jul 2020, 05:12 pm »
As a suggestion, why not make something like (but obviously better than!) the Roon Nucleus with better power supplies, audio grade USB output etc and running Roon Core
A Bryston Roon Server!
It can have a web UI to configure Bryston specific config but music is controlled via the Roon app
If you decide to make one, let me know and I'll place my order ASAP.
No need for a MM replacement

Roon is really the way to go today!

Why make a Alpine sports car and put a Dacia interior in it?

Haha Terry, I fear nobody on this side of the pond knows what either of those cars are... (I was born British so I do...).   Re. Roon, yes it remains the mother of all interfaces, but in my view it is overkill for many users, and not as good for classical for example. If you like it and feel it worth the costs, it is the way to go for sure.  Just not as a default.   

terrycym

« Reply #43 on: 1 Jul 2020, 05:18 pm »
Roon not the default, like the exaSound or Euphony solutions perhaps?

NorthMac

« Reply #44 on: 1 Jul 2020, 05:25 pm »
I’ve been using BDPs for 6 years now and pretty happy with MM.  I just want folder view, Qobuz integration and a basic search facility, so not too fussed about look and feel of an interface.  If I want the Roon experience I can switch the BDP into RAAT mode.  I would though like more sophisticated, full screen navigation and browsing for Qobuz in MM, plus addition of HQP NAA as a service.

I’m surprised that the  nature of MM in itself would be enough to make someone give up on the BDP. From the first day I took home a BDP, I’ve always found it quick and easy to find and play my music across various sources and formats. Whatever occasional frustrations I have had have been more  to do with underlying  performance  rather  than the interface - as I recall Tidal playback was pretty hit and miss a couple of years back, for example. 

My BDP1 seems pretty solid these days both with Qobuz and local library on network shares - it is remarkable and a credit to Bryston that a digital product launched a decade ago continues to evolve, be supported and perform in ways quite distinct from that originally conceived.  Although I guess that NN may mark the end of development  for the BDP1?

Norton I'm a bit puzzled why you would like full screen nav+browsing for your Qobuz but not bother for your own library?  What some of us would like is what you ask for, but for both.... assuming files have metadata, navigating your own CDs with a full screen interface is just as important as Qobuz et al., and for those with big libraries folder view is a non-starter.    And I don't think many owners on this forum are "giving up" on their BDPs, we agree the products and company support are solid and have yielded lots of music enjoyment.  And somewhere on another thread Chris did mysteriously hint that he had a BDP-1 apart on his desk.... a future upgrade?  Who knows? 

NorthMac

« Reply #45 on: 1 Jul 2020, 05:25 pm »
Roon not the default, like the exaSound or Euphony solutions perhaps?

Hmmm, got me there... will have to Google those! 

terrycym

« Reply #46 on: 1 Jul 2020, 05:27 pm »
ExaSound are from Toronto I believe.

abk456

« Reply #47 on: 1 Jul 2020, 10:09 pm »
Hi James
I am a long time owner of several Bryston pieces but new to non-disc audio (CD's and LP's). I was unfamiliar with playlists etc
I bought my 3.14 on faith in Bryston products. I am still getting used to it (and I think it is getting used to me)
I found my initial use of MM a little difficult (although there are three excellent videos on Moon Audio's site that I found by accident that set me on my way) As a small suggestion, you should consider pointing the way to these videos or similar for people like me that may not be as clever as the average poster on this site.

James Tanner

• Facilitator
  • The Demo is Everything!
    • http://www.bryston.com
« Reply #48 on: 2 Jul 2020, 10:04 am »
Hi James
I am a long time owner of several Bryston pieces but new to non-disc audio (CD's and LP's). I was unfamiliar with playlists etc
I bought my 3.14 on faith in Bryston products. I am still getting used to it (and I think it is getting used to me)
I found my initial use of MM a little difficult (although there are three excellent videos on Moon Audio's site that I found by accident that set me on my way) As a small suggestion, you should consider pointing the way to these videos or similar for people like me that may not be as clever as the average poster on this site.

Great suggestion - I think the video thing is the future.

james

Norton

« Reply #49 on: 2 Jul 2020, 04:53 pm »
Norton I'm a bit puzzled why you would like full screen nav+browsing for your Qobuz but not bother for your own library? 

Because my own modest 2TB library is arranged with meaningful folder names so I can find my music quickly and easily, whereas a richer browsing environment is needed to navigate the full  Qobuz catalogue or even just Favourites within the BDP,  as they are currently presented.

unincognito

• Industry Participant
    • bryston.com
« Reply #50 on: 3 Jul 2020, 01:29 pm »
Great suggestion - I think the video thing is the future present.

james

:D :D :D :D

zoom25

« Reply #51 on: 3 Jul 2020, 09:41 pm »
Great to hear the video idea being pursued. :thumb:

BigGeek

« Reply #52 on: 8 Jul 2020, 08:21 pm »
OK. Trying to use the latest build with Tidal (which I rarely go to, but I got a hankerin' to stream). Absolutely the biggest piece of dung of an interface possible. Dual scroll bars on the right. What the...? Text that overlaps other stuff...  having to open and close the side panes to be able to see anything. My god. Have you ever even tried a decent interface to music. Try any other one. It will show you something better than you produced!

Have to use search because nothing else works well enough to find any music. Search items disappear from right pane after scrolling! Have to back up, sometimes have to re-search entirely. Total crap. Also the listings for albums that are shown are incomplete so that I can't really tell one version of an album from another. Of course you will blame Tidal for this but their site lists the differences.

Wow. How can you charge thousands for such nice equipment and completely ham string it with such an amateurish attempt at a user interface. Honestly it is disingenuous of you to advertise that you support Tidal with this as the only way to get to it.

My complaints are independent of browser. Don't even get me started with how badly your web page acts with Safari. Gee wouldn't you think that many if not most people who are trying to use your stuff might be using an iPad or something similar? Do you even test the webpage with different browsers?

If you can't tell that I am totally pissed off after using this interface, then you are a poor judge of written English.

BG

terrycym

« Reply #53 on: 8 Jul 2020, 08:32 pm »
Using an iPad Pro and switching between the tabs on my.bryston, I cannot understand why you expect customers to scroll down to see the rest of the screen, can’t the interface know what size the customer is using and render accordingly?

Timslim18

« Reply #54 on: 8 Jul 2020, 09:11 pm »
OK. Trying to use the latest build with Tidal (which I rarely go to, but I got a hankerin' to stream). Absolutely the biggest piece of dung of an interface possible. Dual scroll bars on the right. What the...? Text that overlaps other stuff...  having to open and close the side panes to be able to see anything. My god. Have you ever even tried a decent interface to music. Try any other one. It will show you something better than you produced!

Have to use search because nothing else works well enough to find any music. Search items disappear from right pane after scrolling! Have to back up, sometimes have to re-search entirely. Total crap. Also the listings for albums that are shown are incomplete so that I can't really tell one version of an album from another. Of course you will blame Tidal for this but their site lists the differences.

Wow. How can you charge thousands for such nice equipment and completely ham string it with such an amateurish attempt at a user interface. Honestly it is disingenuous of you to advertise that you support Tidal with this as the only way to get to it.

My complaints are independent of browser. Don't even get me started with how badly your web page acts with Safari. Gee wouldn't you think that many if not most people who are trying to use your stuff might be using an iPad or something similar? Do you even test the webpage with different browsers?

If you can't tell that I am totally pissed off after using this interface, then you are a poor judge of written English.

BG

Exactly my points from last week.

I stream RadioParadise-FLAC as I said earlier but through utter frustration moved to Squeezebox months ago for streaming controlled by iPeng on my handheld devices.  I put my BDP boxes to rest. 

After reading the responses following my prior post in this thread, I was wondering if I was missing something and that my dismal experience with MM was an anomaly.  So I woke up my home BDP-3 updated  to the latest MM release and decided to stream for the weekend. 

I have a backyard with three 2.1 channel Bryston powered zones.  My family hangs out in the yard all day as we enjoy the outdoors and listen to great music.  So Saturday morning, after about an hour of music dropouts, repeated tracks and truncated tracks, my wife was exasperated and asked me what had changed from previous weekends when the music flowed seamlessly from morning into the night.  I told her that I had switched to a Bryston box with "upgraded" software.  "What a joke!" was her response, "please go back to what we used before, this is too annoying!"  I could not agree more.  And don't get me going on us trying to control the Bryston through our handheld devices.

So apparently my previous experience was not an anomaly.  Granted, to my ears there was a discernible improvement in SQ moving to the BDP-3 but not hearing a track to its end and having tracks randomly repeat, completely diminishes any SQ improvement.  If "the demo is everything" then this experience did absolutely nothing positive.

Like it or not, streaming is here to stay and if Bryston seriously wants to be in the digital player business, then much more attention must be paid to the user interface and user experience of its players.

gbaby

« Reply #55 on: 8 Jul 2020, 09:14 pm »
Using an iPad Pro and switching between the tabs on my.bryston, I cannot understand why you expect customers to scroll down to see the rest of the screen, can’t the interface know what size the customer is using and render accordingly?

Is scrolling difficult? :o

gbaby

« Reply #56 on: 8 Jul 2020, 09:19 pm »

BG

BG, I don't know. If I had to take a guess, I would think that Tidal and Qbuz or whatever are just accommodations. But the truth is the BDPs sound best using your own CDs to import. I've tried both and none equal the sonics of importing your own CDs and playing them using the USB drives. I'd rather have good sound quality than have a unit mostly configured to stream either of them.

WillyP

« Reply #57 on: 9 Jul 2020, 11:35 am »
In this thread, I have read some harsh comments about Manic Moose and I felt sorry for James. C’est le ton qui fait la musique.

My experience with Manic Moose is very limited because my BDA-3.14 arrived a few days ago. It has a learning curve but it does what it has to do. It helps if you are a bit familiar with computers, though.

Compared to the Logitech Media Server software that was installed on my former streamer Manic Moose is a big step up for me. It is just more Logical (sorry, couldn’t resist).

In the next coming days, I will learn more about using Manic Mouse. In the meantime, I can enjoy my music. Until now no hiccups or what-so-ever. Not bad, not bad at all, I would say.

I don’t know what the procedure is, but is it possible to do some beta testing for Nutty Narwhal? Sounds interesting to me.

WillyP

terrycym

« Reply #58 on: 9 Jul 2020, 11:39 am »
Is scrolling difficult? :o
Nope but why should it be necessary?

terrycym

« Reply #59 on: 9 Jul 2020, 11:41 am »
Maybe the request for beta testers should be put out there