Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.

nyc_paramedic

Re: Dead silent dedicated Linux music server for USB DAC's.
« Reply #160 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:24 pm »
Yes, sounds good.

Actually, I've always thought a true real time OS would be the way to go if you want to ensure highest priority for a peripheral.  Jam the whole song into memory and do nothing but process that and transfer it right out the port.  I used to work with and sell Intel's RMX (Realtime Multitasking eXecutive) OS many years ago and it worked great for embedded apps and shop floor control kinds of stuff we did.  Very easy to use and lots of tools, even back in the day.  I'm not sure what modern equivalents are though or whether it's worth the trouble but the lighter weight the better IMHO.

Voyage MPD does come with a real-time kernel. Also, Voyage Linux runs entirely in RAM --the compact flash is normally in read-only mode. Also, only mount read/write when changing the system configuration. Lastly, I do believe that there is currently a feature request on the MPD tracking system for loading an entire song to RAM, though I don't know if it will make any real sonic difference.

TomS

« Reply #161 on: 18 Nov 2010, 06:25 pm »
Oh, nice!

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #162 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:12 pm »
Oh, nice!

Tom,

I just finished reading the entire Bryston BDP1 thread. Page 19 of the thread (http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.360) there's a shot of he innards posted. I'm pretty sure it's a PC Engines Alix 1d mini-itx (http://www.pcengines.ch/alix1d.htm)

Looking at the back panel of the BDP1 here http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=82098.340 , it looks like VGA, PS2, external coaxial power jack, audio in/out connectors were removed at their factory or they ordered a custom quantity of boards from PC Engines.  But, looking very closely again at their innards photo, it seems like the PS2 connector might still be there. So, it might be a stock Alix 1d.

Anyways, there's a compact flash in the slot so I would be surprised if their not using Voyage Linux. And, as per James Tanner of Bryston, they are using a ESI Juli@ PCI card.

TomS

« Reply #163 on: 18 Nov 2010, 11:43 pm »
Interesting, so they just used the PCI slot on that MB.  I suppose a nice option if you need S/PDIF or AES/EBU output.  I wonder how custom the software actually is, other than running the front panel and the Bryston MPD client.

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #164 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:03 am »
Interesting, so they just used the PCI slot on that MB.  I suppose a nice option if you need S/PDIF or AES/EBU output.  I wonder how custom the software actually is, other than running the front panel and the Bryston MPD client.

I asked them if they would kindly post the source code for the Linux OS and mpd their using, as per the GPL.

Don't get me wrong. I see nothing wrong with what Bryston is doing. If anything, their product can be priced much more competitively if the're using GNU/GPL software. That's a win for all of us audiophiles.

Some folks are not technically inclined nor have the time to setup a music server from scratch. They are offering a plug and play solution that comes with customer support. There is money to be made using open source software, nothing wrong with that.

I'd love to see them offer a version specifically for USB DAC's. That'd be pretty cool.

TomS

« Reply #165 on: 19 Nov 2010, 12:15 am »
I agree and think it's a great product for Bryston's base.  They probably aren't too inclined to offer USB because the best sounding input of the BDA1 is AES and/or S/PDIF.  The USB is just 44khz and not often used at all.

ashok

« Reply #166 on: 19 Nov 2010, 01:44 am »
The Auraliti player is in the same vein - a one box solution with both analog and digital outputs. And if I am not mistaken, it uses a Juli@ card too. I think it was Demian Martin (of Auraliti) who worked with the MPD developers to get 24 bit working properly in MPD (I could be wrong).

External USB drive is needed, or I suppose you could access files over the network too.

Auraliti PK100 (No affiliation)

mgalusha

« Reply #167 on: 19 Nov 2010, 03:35 am »
This is a great thread and thanks to Nick for the massive amount of work he's done. I've been following it for a long time but since I have several of the M2Tech hiface widgets and they have yet to produce Linux drivers I have not moved in this direction at all.

But seeing the innards of the Bryston and how they fitted the ESI juli@ certainly got my attention. I have a Juli@ and a friend recently mentioned he was pulling I2S off the card. I have several old 1U T-1 to VOIP bridges which were being scrapped, I grabbed them purely for the chassis. One of those with an Alix board and a Juli@ card sending out I2S to my DAC would be interesting. Plenty of room to implement a nice linear supply in the box as well. Hmm... another winter project.

I have a CF card in my IO Box and it's been sitting idle for a long time. The IO Box runs an embedded Linux as well but has a tough time with 24/192 files, just not quite enough horsepower or so it seemed.

mike

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #168 on: 20 Nov 2010, 11:14 pm »
This is a great thread and thanks to Nick for the massive amount of work he's done. I've been following it for a long time but since I have several of the M2Tech hiface widgets and they have yet to produce Linux drivers I have not moved in this direction at all.

But seeing the innards of the Bryston and how they fitted the ESI juli@ certainly got my attention. I have a Juli@ and a friend recently mentioned he was pulling I2S off the card. I have several old 1U T-1 to VOIP bridges which were being scrapped, I grabbed them purely for the chassis. One of those with an Alix board and a Juli@ card sending out I2S to my DAC would be interesting. Plenty of room to implement a nice linear supply in the box as well. Hmm... another winter project.

I have a CF card in my IO Box and it's been sitting idle for a long time. The IO Box runs an embedded Linux as well but has a tough time with 24/192 files, just not quite enough horsepower or so it seemed.

Mike,

Keep me informed on that project. I'd like to know details if you get it up and running.

mgalusha

« Reply #169 on: 21 Nov 2010, 04:54 am »
I will post in this thread if it materializes. No doubt I'll have some questions. :)

Mike,

Keep me informed on that project. I'd like to know details if you get it up and running.

JDUBS

« Reply #170 on: 21 Nov 2010, 05:29 am »
Hey Guys

I ordered this off of eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Engines-Alix-2c10-kit-same-Alix2d2-Alix2d3-/280532918295?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item415110a017

Showed up in 2 days and it has everything, case, PS, and 1gb CF card.

I installed VirtualBox on my Windows 7 machine and Debian Linux "on" it.  I also ordered a cheap CF card reader:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820192025

My plan is to use the Debian on my computer to install Voyage via the CF reader.  Hopefully it goes ok!  Will keep everyone updated.

-Jim

jeffery

« Reply #171 on: 21 Nov 2010, 08:53 am »
Hi, I just bought one from eBay, but after I paid, then I found out there is no SPDIF on this board, OMG, what should I do?

TomS

« Reply #172 on: 21 Nov 2010, 12:30 pm »
Hey Guys

I ordered this off of eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PC-Engines-Alix-2c10-kit-same-Alix2d2-Alix2d3-/280532918295?pt=COMP_EN_Routers&hash=item415110a017

Showed up in 2 days and it has everything, case, PS, and 1gb CF card.

I installed VirtualBox on my Windows 7 machine and Debian Linux "on" it.  I also ordered a cheap CF card reader:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820192025

My plan is to use the Debian on my computer to install Voyage via the CF reader.  Hopefully it goes ok!  Will keep everyone updated.

-Jim
I bought one from him Thursday but haven't seen or heard anything back just yet.  Hopefully it will show up next week before the festivities begin.

I had a hiccup with my ClarkConnect (CentOS) 4.3 server when I tried to load an upgrade to Squeezecenter 7.5.1 due to some sort of database lock I couldn't resolve.  After much frustration I finally decided to upgrade to their new version, ClearOS 5.2, reinstalled Squeezecenter 7.5.1 and all is well.  If all this works out, I won't miss it  :roll:

I had a CF card and reader from my camera, so I built up the Voyage CF card per the blog instructions and I think I'm good to go when the CPU board gets here.  I found that using Putty and WinSCP to talk to ClearOS from my old Windows machine made all of this much process easier.

Tom

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #173 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:10 pm »
Hi, I just bought one from eBay, but after I paid, then I found out there is no SPDIF on this board, OMG, what should I do?

jeffery,

This project is aimed at feeding a USB DAC only. If you want SPDIF you might want to try ordering a Alix 1d mini-itx and some sort of PCI card, lke the ESI Juli@.

JDUBS

« Reply #174 on: 21 Nov 2010, 02:32 pm »

Buy a USB DAC?

-Jim

jeffery

« Reply #175 on: 22 Nov 2010, 02:16 am »
jeffery,

This project is aimed at feeding a USB DAC only. If you want SPDIF you might want to try ordering a Alix 1d mini-itx and some sort of PCI card, lke the ESI Juli@.

Hi, I've found Alix 1d mini-itx on eBay Hongkong, it's just small mother board, I don't think I need that. I have contect the seller and what to return the item and made a refund. I paid too fast, how stupid I was.

another question, can I use an USB sound card on this board.
« Last Edit: 22 Nov 2010, 03:17 am by jeffery »

jeffery

« Reply #176 on: 22 Nov 2010, 03:07 am »
Buy a USB DAC?
-Jim

Yes I have a USB DAC, but sound quality is not as good as SPDIF, and I just purchase a dsix re-clock board with SPDIF in-out a month ago, it can make the digital sound quality much much much better, now my digital sound(music and movie) all went through the re-clock board then goto DAC or surround receiver, that's the reason I don't want to use USB. thanks anyway

JDUBS

« Reply #177 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:44 am »
Ughh....so the cf card reader I ordered showed up today and the Debian install on my Windows 7 machine won't recognize it.  Of course. 

Anyone want to help me by getting Voyage on my 1gb CF card (will send it to you)?  I'd rather not try hit or miss with another (crappy) reader.

Shoot me a PM if you can help.

Thanks
Jim

nyc_paramedic

« Reply #178 on: 24 Nov 2010, 01:59 am »
Ughh....so the cf card reader I ordered showed up today and the Debian install on my Windows 7 machine won't recognize it.  Of course. 

Anyone want to help me by getting Voyage on my 1gb CF card (will send it to you)?  I'd rather not try hit or miss with another (crappy) reader.

Shoot me a PM if you can help.

Jim,

Send me a PM.

Also, what does dmesg say when you plug in the card reader. (Type dmesg 5 seconds after you plug in the card reader)

JDUBS

« Reply #179 on: 24 Nov 2010, 03:05 am »
Jim,

Send me a PM.

Also, what does dmesg say when you plug in the card reader. (Type dmesg 5 seconds after you plug in the card reader)

nyc_paramedic...pm coming your way.

I think its more an issue with VirtualBox not recognizing it then anything.  It doesn't show up at all with dmesg.  Windows 7, no problem.

Bizarre, but its a no-name reader that I bought purely because of its cheapness.  I guess you get what you pay for with these things.

-Jim