DAC 12-volt Power Supply Upgrades

arcsine

DAC 12-volt Power Supply Upgrades
« on: 17 Dec 2023, 03:14 am »
Howdy
I was hoping to get peoples thoughts about changes/upgrades to the external 12-volt power supply on some DAC's. Is it good/bad/indifferent? What parts & pieces do we have experience with?

I've heard from 'no effect' to 'acts as a reclocker'.

Thanks for your time

FullRangeMan

• Volunteer
  • To whom more was given more will be required.
    • Never go to a psychiatrist, adopt a straycat or dog. On the street they live only two years average.
Re: DAC 12-volt Power Supply Upgrades
« Reply #1 on: 17 Dec 2023, 03:29 am »
Howdy
I was hoping to get peoples thoughts about changes/upgrades to the external 12-volt power supply on some DAC's. Is it good/bad/indifferent? What parts & pieces do we have experience with?

Thanks for your time
I will move this topic to the Discless Circle.

I would suggest a battery power supply.

Phil A

« Reply #2 on: 17 Dec 2023, 02:48 pm »
Welcome!  After a couple of more posts, you should be able to access the 'Search' function and find things like -  https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=181288.msg1905158#msg1905158

newzooreview

« Reply #3 on: 17 Dec 2023, 02:54 pm »
Yes, power supply makes a measurable and audible difference. A very simple benchtop demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eaBKqpw9M3Y

The simplest way to check for the possible benefits in your system is to get an iFi Power Elite. If it doesn't sound better, you can return it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08S5T4DNY

If you could specify the DAC you are using and the system it is being used in then it will help people make recommendations. If the DAC is connected by USB to a gaming PC streaming Spotify then the power supply on the DAC is not likely a concern, for example.

arcsine

« Reply #4 on: 19 Dec 2023, 12:55 am »
You are correct, knowing what we re talking about is helpful to all.

Cambridge Audio DAC Magic 200 with power supplied by a 12V, 1000mA Golden Profit Electronics wall-wart.

Thanks for your time

arcsine

« Reply #5 on: 19 Dec 2023, 01:02 am »
Forgot your request for the whole system, sorry.

The DAC gets optical and/or USB feeds from the MacG5 music server or the TV. Next is a Parasound P5 preamp to a Krell KAV-5 amp. There is a Merril Thor amp fr the sub. Speakers are Daedalus SR-823 and SR-1203 pairs.

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #6 on: 19 Dec 2023, 12:11 pm »
Yes, as previously mentioned a hefty battery supply works great.  For me it transforms the lowly Topping E30 from something I don't like to a lovely sounding DAC.  I haven't tried an improved supply like the iFi unit mentioned, but wouldn't be surprised with similar improvements.

rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio Consulting -
« Reply #7 on: 19 Dec 2023, 06:03 pm »
Howdy

Thanks for your time

Check out Angela.Gilbert Yeung. Formerly Blue Circle Audio. Absolutely amazing power supply mods.

charles

Vincent Kars

• The Well Tempered Computer
    • The Well Tempered Computer

zoom25

« Reply #9 on: 8 Jan 2024, 01:47 am »
I replaced my switching power supply with an oversized and overkill Teradak 12V13A for my Dangerous Source. I prefer it with the LPS. Also like my gear plugged into the Torus isolation transformer. Same reason why I have Audioquest Jitterbug on my USB ports.