Anybody audition Diptyque line of speakers?

Chops

Re: Anybody audition Diptyque line of speakers?
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jul 2023, 11:55 pm »
I've heard the bass was kind of one note. You can get more bass than that way, but the response isn't smooth.

I really don't understand that second sentence your wrote there. Doesn't make much sense.

But again, I have no idea what you heard or who you heard that from. They DON'T lack bass, they do NOT have "one note" bass, and the response sounded pretty smooth in the room I heard them in. Then again, Suncoast Audio knows how to properly set up a room and system, so there's that.

Chazz5

« Reply #21 on: 14 Jul 2023, 12:00 am »
This reviewer of the Pass Labs 150.8 posted recordings of it driving a Diptyque (apparently a DP107) and a TAD Evolution 2 - three pieces of music on each path.
Get the files via
https://alpha-audio.net/review/review-pass-labs-x150-8-entry-level-pass-or-is-it/3/

josh358

« Reply #22 on: 14 Jul 2023, 02:14 am »
I really don't understand that second sentence your wrote there. Doesn't make much sense.

But again, I have no idea what you heard or who you heard that from. They DON'T lack bass, they do NOT have "one note" bass, and the response sounded pretty smooth in the room I heard them in. Then again, Suncoast Audio knows how to properly set up a room and system, so there's that.
Well, if you're doing acoustic equalization, you have only so much energy to work with, so you can get more bass but only at the cost of hollowing out the midbass -- some of the Apogees are like that, it shows clearly in the response curves. There are other reasons this might happen as well. I don't know enough about the Diptyque to know which might apply.

The person I heard it from is a reliable source, but, of course, he could be wrong, or he could have heard it in a poor room.

Chops

« Reply #23 on: 14 Jul 2023, 04:27 pm »
Well, if you're doing acoustic equalization, you have only so much energy to work with, so you can get more bass but only at the cost of hollowing out the midbass -- some of the Apogees are like that, it shows clearly in the response curves. There are other reasons this might happen as well. I don't know enough about the Diptyque to know which might apply.

The person I heard it from is a reliable source, but, of course, he could be wrong, or he could have heard it in a poor room.

Like I said earlier, they sounded nothing like that at the Florida Expo this year.

And if that is the case in most "normal" rooms and these speakers, then that's a great example of placing the speakers where they need to be for best imaging and staging, and using two or more subs where they need to be for the smoothest bass response.

ngrimes

« Reply #24 on: 18 Jul 2023, 09:51 pm »
I posted on an earlier thread about my own experience with the Diptyque planars.  As regards the DP-107, I auditioned it at length one day even though I knew I was not a potential customer.  It is an excellent planar, improving on the DP-77 that I own and so enjoy.  There is no one note bass on either speaker.  Bass is articulate, with good pace, and excellent tone/timbre.  Furthermore, both speakers are well balanced with a good midrange and highs.  The line tweeter might be the real treat as it possesses excellent detail and resolution and is never 'in your face' or harsh.  Really, this a wonderful line of speakers with an outstanding industrial design aesthetic.  I'm 18 months or more into my ownership and I'm delighted; see my earlier post on the other thread for more info.  Neill

Chops

« Reply #25 on: 19 Jul 2023, 11:33 pm »
I posted on an earlier thread about my own experience with the Diptyque planars.  As regards the DP-107, I auditioned it at length one day even though I knew I was not a potential customer.  It is an excellent planar, improving on the DP-77 that I own and so enjoy.  There is no one note bass on either speaker.  Bass is articulate, with good pace, and excellent tone/timbre.  Furthermore, both speakers are well balanced with a good midrange and highs.  The line tweeter might be the real treat as it possesses excellent detail and resolution and is never 'in your face' or harsh.  Really, this a wonderful line of speakers with an outstanding industrial design aesthetic.  I'm 18 months or more into my ownership and I'm delighted; see my earlier post on the other thread for more info.  Neill

Agree 100%.

TitaniumTroy

« Reply #26 on: 17 Oct 2023, 12:55 am »
I heard them at AXPONA 2023, and it was their largest model panel at the time. They sounded awesome to me, however that was a pretty small hotel room. Plus they played a lot of EDM music in that room, which I am not really familiar with. I asked them to play a track from Tron Legacy, but it wasn't the one I wanted (Outlands). Bass sounded good to me but, I am no Golden Ear Audiophile, I wish  :cry:

Michael Hoatson sells Diptque speakers: In fact those were his personal pair of Diptque speakers at the show.
https://www.listenroom.com/products