Which Subs

SteveFord

• Facilitator
  • The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.
Re: Which Subs
« Reply #40 on: 24 Apr 2020, 11:44 pm »
I knew my wife had a sister in Florida, she didn't tell me that she had TWO sisters...

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #41 on: 25 Apr 2020, 02:11 am »
I had just listened to that the other night when the wife was out (at really high volume).
How do they put it, the combination of 3.7s and SVS subwoofer pressurized the room?

It was a welcome change of pace from her working at home where I hear, "Alexa, play Helen Reddy..."
Dear Lord, take me now...

You son-of-a-bitch!!!!!!  I laughed at your Helen Reddy quip, and read it out loud to my wife. Now, Alexa and my wife are BOTH singing Helen Reddy songs LOUD!    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #42 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:17 am »
Time to feed Jenny a whole handful of over ripe berries and fight back!

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #43 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:25 am »
Bombs away!!!

Slapshot

« Reply #44 on: 26 Apr 2020, 04:13 am »
Play The Who's "Boris The Spider" without a sub and then add a sub to the mix.

Steve, for the record, what subs(s) do you use with your 3.7i's?

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #45 on: 26 Apr 2020, 01:52 pm »
It's an old SVS ported one with, I think, a 12" speaker.
Hardly the greatest thing ever but it was $200 or $400 many years ago.
I met the seller in a parking lot and it just barely fit into his Mini so it's pretty sizable.
The volume on it is kept so it just blends in, on most tracks you don't even notice it.

Until Mr. Entwistle happens by, that is.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #46 on: 26 Apr 2020, 02:34 pm »
Time to feed Jenny a whole handful of over ripe berries and fight back!

It's a stalemate.  She likes Celine Dion, too.   May as well listen to Ned Beatty in "Deliverance..."

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #47 on: 26 Apr 2020, 04:53 pm »
Ugh.  You've got problems.
Time to call out the big dogs.
Would you like me to burn a copy for you?

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #48 on: 28 Apr 2020, 03:06 am »
DAMN YOU, STEVE!   

We took a nice ride in the country yesterday, when out of nowhere my wife said "Alexa, play some Helen Reddy," and proceeds to laugh herself silly!   :cuss:

Bombs away!!!

[/center]
« Last Edit: 13 May 2020, 11:47 pm by thunderbrick »

SteveFord

• Facilitator
« Reply #49 on: 28 Apr 2020, 04:18 am »
I like your wife's sense of humor.

That does sound like something out of a revamped Seinfield episode, doesn't it?

AvsFan

« Reply #50 on: 13 May 2020, 11:37 pm »
So for two days I have been trying to get these little dual 8 subs to blend with the Magnepan LRS's. I finally gave up. It took all the musicality of the Maggie's away. It just smeared the sound and never sounded right. Made me realize that I really like the way the Maggie's sound all by themselves. I might try it again later but for now it's the Maggie's sans sub.

rockn

« Reply #51 on: 13 May 2020, 11:50 pm »
So for two days I have been trying to get these little dual 8 subs to blend with the Magnepan LRS's. I finally gave up. It took all the musicality of the Maggie's away. It just smeared the sound and never sounded right. Made me realize that I really like the way the Maggie's sound all by themselves. I might try it again later but for now it's the Maggie's sans sub.
I’m getting a pair of LRS’s tomorrow. So no way to blend the subs??Maybe try just one sub. I’ll be trying the Rel with mine...fingers crossed 🤞

thunderbrick

• Volunteer
  • I'm just not right!
« Reply #52 on: 13 May 2020, 11:52 pm »
I keep hearing what a MAJOR difference the MYEStands make. I have no doubt that they tighten everything up and improve the sound quality and bass. But Maggie's need help with bass. Period. There are no magical stands that are going to help that much with bass. Still laws of audio science that apply and the 1.7i's only go down to 40hz. My LRS's go down to 50hz. And they need SERIOUS help! There is no weight or dynamic punch to the music. I have certain songs that I like to play just to test out the kick and dynamics of bass on speakers and subs, and they are totally lacking on those tracks.
With that said, the bass that they do produce is like no box speaker I have ever heard. Very musical, articulate, every song sounds different in the bass department. It's amazing bass. Probably some of the best bass I have heard out of a speaker. And that is probably the reason why it is so hard to integrate subwoofers with the Maggie's. At least doing it right and seamless. I have high hopes for those 8's though. Hemp cone, a light cone that can move very fast. I am assuming it will be a perfect match. Will see soon.   

I have the 20.1 Maggies in a big room.  The Mye stands WERE a big improvement; glad I got them. 

WGH

« Reply #53 on: 14 May 2020, 01:13 am »
Looking at the Stereophile frequency response graph of the LRS I can see how sub integration could be problematic.

A fast sub without a port would be a priority adjusted to have little output between 50Hz - 60Hz. I spent an afternoon listening to Maggie the 3.6r plus a REL Gibraltar G2 sub. The G2 crossover was set at 40 Hz (digital readout). The G2 has a 10" driver and is fast enough to keep pace with the ribbon and it goes down to 18Hz, integration was seamless. If the sound gets muddy then the crossover is set too high and/or the woofer cone is still moving when the ribbon has already stopped.

If you hear the sub it is adjusted too loud, a good test is a FM radio male announcer (classic station). The voice should sound the same with the sub on or off.

I think the early Gibraltar G1 sub with the 12" driver might be to slow for the Maggies, the MkII has a faster amp and driver. The G2 is long discontinued but used G1's are always available, they may or may not have the same lead wire design flaw as the G2, I would have to see a photo.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #54 on: 14 May 2020, 02:40 am »
I have the 20.1 Maggies in a big room.  The Mye stands WERE a big improvement; glad I got them.

I should be taking delivery of mine any day now.  :thumb:

As for matching a sub / subs with Maggies, OB is the only way to go. I may pursue that after I’ve had a little time with the Mye stands. If I do, the drivers will most likely be by Acoustic Elegance; these are the same drivers Clayton Shaw employs in his higher end models like the X-1 and X-2.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #55 on: 14 May 2020, 02:46 am »
Looking at the Stereophile frequency response graph of the LRS I can see how sub integration could be problematic.

That can’t be right. I haven’t heard the LRS, but I can’t imagine anyone liking them or any loudspeaker that measures like that.

opnly bafld

• 83 Klipsch LSIs
« Reply #56 on: 14 May 2020, 03:08 am »
That can’t be right. I haven’t heard the LRS, but I can’t imagine anyone liking them or any loudspeaker that measures like that.

From the measurements section providing an explanation of this (fig. 2):

"Turning to the LRS's measured frequency response (fig.2), the proximity effect mentioned earlier can be seen. The speaker's farfield output rises as the frequency drops from 500 to 300Hz, while below 300Hz, the response measured in the nearfield rises precipitously. In part, this rise in the midbass will be due to the nearfield measurement technique, which assumes that the drive-units are mounted in a true infinite baffle. But it is also due to the panel's fundamental "drum-skin" resonance, which tends to compensate for the fact that with a dipole speaker the reflections of the speaker's backward-firing sound from the wall behind it will cancel the front-firing sound below a frequency that depends on the panel's size."

JA's conclusion:

"Interpreting the measured performance of a panel loudspeaker such as the Magnepan LRS is far from straightforward. Overall, however, the LRS appears to be capable of well-balanced sound, provided its owner takes care in optimizing such matters as placement and toe-in."

Sometimes it's misleading to just look at the pictures.

Wind Chaser

« Reply #57 on: 14 May 2020, 03:58 am »
IOW, the picture is pointless as was the test that produced the picture.  :lol:

Digi-G

« Reply #58 on: 14 May 2020, 12:26 pm »
I've had a couple of subs - a Velodyne and currently an SVS model.  Both manufacturers recommended a corner placement, but both subs, in different rooms, produced a boomy, mode-inducing sound that made me want to vomit.  YMMV, but for me corner placement has been the worst possible placement.  I've had much better luck placing the sub midway along a side wall - that just seems to produce a smoother response that I can control.

bladesmith

• water quenching steel since 2001....
    • palmer knives
« Reply #59 on: 14 May 2020, 12:34 pm »
I've had a couple of subs - a Velodyne and currently an SVS model.  Both manufacturers recommended a corner placement, but both subs, in different rooms, produced a boomy, mode-inducing sound that made me want to vomit.  YMMV, but for me corner placement has been the worst possible placement.  I've had much better luck placing the sub midway along a side wall - that just seems to produce a smoother response that I can control.

Many people and manufacturers suggest one thing , one placement or another.. due to the testing environment they use at there place of business.
But, the problem with that, is that every home environment is different..  humidity,  room dimensions,  furniture,  open/closed windows,  tight/leaky rooms, even the barometric pressure.  etc, etc..
The tester, or manufacturer has no idea, really.. but, he's got to suggest something that makes since and convinces the buyer he has done his research and is legitimate.. 

Which he is, in only one way.. and that is in his own shop/ manufacturing facility.. :D