What RCA phono cables for VA set 120 control amp?

DecibleDude

What RCA phono cables for VA set 120 control amp?
« on: 13 Mar 2024, 05:08 pm »
 I remember reading somewhere that with the passive preamp in the set 120 control amp it's best to have shorter runs of RCA cable between components. I also remember reading that it's best not to use the fancy schmancy high capacitance type. Do remember correctly, and if so where can I buy the type I need for optimal compatibility which is about a foot and a half long? I ask because I'm having trouble finding the right stuff on line, everything is of the fancy schmancy variety.

ArthurDent

• Don't Panic / Mostly Harmless
Re: What RCA phono cables for VA set 120 control amp?
« Reply #1 on: 13 Mar 2024, 06:04 pm »
 Best I can remember Frank has always recommended these guys https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm  Nice folks to deal with, and prices are fair. I have a number of their cables, never been disappointed.

TerryWI

« Reply #2 on: 13 Mar 2024, 06:08 pm »
I have used the BJC LC-1 for that type of connection in the past (Vision PreAmp to Insight 260 Amp).  In my experience, BJC is very responsive to email or phone questions if you are unsure of what to order, should you be interested in their products.

https://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm

TomBo

« Reply #3 on: 13 Mar 2024, 08:13 pm »
I also went with Blue Jeans Cables per a recommendation from a trusted person, Frank. The BJC guy custom makes them to order and if you call him, he can also talk to the models he builds for AVA owners. I was listening to Weather Report's Heavy Weather CD last night for the first time on the SET 120 Control Amp. On a song called "A Remark You Made" the soundstage was insane. I could hear Joe Zawinul's synthesizer so far off to the left of my left speaker that I had to look to that area of my room ...it was nearly as far to the left of my left speaker as the distance between the L and R speaker ...I am amazed with what I am hearing...if I added a bit more room sound dampening materials , I would put the quality of the musical experience in line with anything I have ever heard, at any price...

DecibleDude

« Reply #4 on: 14 Mar 2024, 03:17 am »
 Thank you Guys, much appreciated. Does anyone know where the plain old regular rca cables could be found, I still have some from years ago but they're longer than needed. I have to check again, but I think in the little set 120 control amp book it states something about using regular cables. I'm not sure, I'll check again, on the other hand if this guys cables are recommended by the amp designer then I'll probably go that route.

Speedskater

• Kevin
« Reply #5 on: 14 Mar 2024, 05:08 pm »
Blue Jeans Cable, cables are at the sweet spot in price, performance and construction.

gene9p

« Reply #6 on: 14 Mar 2024, 09:54 pm »
Thank you Guys, much appreciated. Does anyone know where the plain old regular rca cables could be found, I still have some from years ago but they're longer than needed. I have to check again, but I think in the little set 120 control amp book it states something about using regular cables. I'm not sure, I'll check again, on the other hand if this guys cables are recommended by the amp designer then I'll probably go that route.

cables should be shielded.....and use a ground wire....

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
« Reply #7 on: 15 Mar 2024, 11:00 am »
I'm uncertain as to why anyone would think high capacitance cables for phono use would be either desirable or a hallmark of expensive cables.  The opposite is certainly true.  Check our own Zen Wave or Hapa Audio for low capacitance cables specifically designed for phono use, you can talk directly with the owner/designer about your purchase.  I'm not a fan of Blue Jeans cable, they use bog standard off the shelf stock with inexpensive connectors, but they do offer a good value for the price.

nlitworld

• Strange things are afoot at the Circle K
« Reply #8 on: 15 Mar 2024, 09:44 pm »
I had Blue Jeans used as a phono cable years ago. I then splurged for a short set of Hapa Quiescence cables and couldn't believe the uptick in performance. Definitely want low capacitance cables in that section. For cost effective, BJC are hard to beat. If throwing out several hundred more for an upgrade, Hapa (or similar high end mfg) are worth the upgrade. I'd put the return on investment equal to a new phono stage costing the same amount or more. Just my $0.02.

-Lloyd