Schitt Announces New Stuff!!

rmcdennis2201

Schitt Announces New Stuff!!
« on: 28 Aug 2019, 11:39 pm »
In case your in a cave, or in a deep coal mine...Schitt has put up two new chapters in Jason Stoddards online, ongoing story about his company and product development.

Here is the link in case you might want the first hand "skinny":
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-happened-the-story-of-the-worlds-most-improbable-start-up.701900/page-3313#post-15152470

Their is a new ASGARD, its the ASGARD3. Its a continuity amp (tm), and not a Class A amp anymore. Asgard 2 was six and a hlaf years old and the new shift here is indeed "exciting" to me. The engineering story is a nice read if you like that kind of stuff (and I do)... :D

Here is the ASGARD3 specs:

- 3.5W Continuity with 500mW Class A bias vs 1W Class A—3.5x the power output
- Ability to take one optional input card, vs “just an amp.”
- Ability to be a 3.5W, $299 DAC/amp with 4490 card, vs no card
 -Gain switch on front, vs on back
- Input switch on front, vs no input
- 48VA transformer, vs 36VA
- $199 vs $249 price (amp only)

...and it can be:

- A $299, 3.5W DAC/amp with the addition of the AK4490 card
- A $399, 3.5W True Multibit DAC/amp with the addition of the Multibit card
- Upgraded when new cards become available

It also looks like there might be a close out sale on the ASGARD 2 Class A amp as well?

The other "BIG" announcement IMO is the BIFROST that I have and love, is going end of life with its latest USB GEN 5 upgrade. Over and done pretty much, except you will be able to order their Schitt properitary Unison (tm) USB interface in Jan 2020 timeframe. The new Asgard 3 has this standard already. So the NEW BIFROST 3 will have this and more stuff.

They are waiting for Microsoft to go end of life for Windows 7, the new Unison USB will not support W7. So they are waiting for Jan 2020 so they wont have this issue to deal with is my understanding.

BIFROST 3 is Autonomy (tm) as well as ASGARD#...which means any future updates/upgrades you will be able to install and update at home! The I/O cards are removeable PCI type slot cards, unscrew pull out old , insert ne, screw back in, and possibly insert a small micro SD card in a slot in the back to upgrade any firmware changes all automatically! No more sending it back to the mothership and wait a few weeks! Thats Autonomy (TM).

The BIFROST 3 with the new UNISON USB has also added Balanced output and a remote control!
It also has single ended output as well. The remote will control input select, mute and phase invert.
The DAC has been upgraded from the 16 but AD 5547 to the 18 bit AD 5781 ARUZ D/A.
They improved the power supply as well with more stages of local regulation for better low noise perfromance.

The articles go into their design philosophy and reasoning behind the changes etc..

Just wanted you all to know!!

Alex
 :D :D :D

guest61169

Re: Schitt Announces New Stuff!!
« Reply #1 on: 29 Aug 2019, 02:40 am »
They are waiting for Microsoft to go end of life for Windows 7, the new Unison USB will not support W7. So they are waiting for Jan 2020 so they wont have this issue to deal with is my understanding.

Easier to find a DAC I like (if I ever upgrade the existing one) than replace an OS I like with one I don't.   But good news I guess for others.   

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #2 on: 29 Aug 2019, 12:37 pm »
I think Schitt wanted to get around the paying others for their stuff, and be tied to other vendors for firmware, integrated circuits, royalties etc...and their dac guru Mike Moffat thought he
could reinvent the USB interface so it would be better than the existing stuff anyway...Gen 5 was their way to get to this part way, but with Unison (TM) they now have their own USB implementation
from what I understand. I guess they could even sell it to other vendors now and reap the benefits?

The other benefits to many will be great, especially of you want to upgrade from a low end dac delta-sigma or if its your first time dac...the newer higher resolution dac AD chips should provide better
results, the beefier power supply, the ability to upgrade at home and not sending the unit back etc...balanced stuff etc..

When I was discussing this with my friend Ron (thanks for letting me use your pc). Getting into the hobby this is a great "mid" level dac IMO and some might just jump right in at this level?

One thing that I did being a W10 user on all my PC's....no Apple or Linux distros etc...I wrote Jason Stoddard a note telling him their are lots of us that wish we didnt have to wait until Jan 2020 to try out
this new Unison (TM) interface. I was told to contact them and see if they had any "beta" boards...I was shocked and low and behold I got a response from them and they are sending me their last
beta board so I can try it in my Gen 5 Bimby!!

When I get it I will have to take the Bifrost apart and remove the Gen 5 card and insert the Unison (tm) interface board.

I will let you guys and gals know how it goes here....either way I have heard or read any reviews yet of this new interface, but I am sure there will be many.

Mike Moffat who I do respect his direct manner....touted that he hated USB for years and really liked the SPDIF (digital) interfaces much better....now with his work in this area he
is now touting his Unison (tm) is better than SPDIF!

Yes this could be marketing, but I am hoping this is finally the end game for us that use USB from our hardware to our amps.

Stay tuned....

Alex

Note: I meant to say Bifrost 2, not Bifrost 3 in these posts!

guest61169

« Reply #3 on: 29 Aug 2019, 02:34 pm »
Are the USB cables the new interface uses proprietary or will any USB cables work?

fredgarvin

« Reply #4 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:24 pm »
Putting the Gungnir MB chip into the Bifrost3 and improving the power supply...that is enough to get me interested even without the new USB.

wushuliu

« Reply #5 on: 29 Aug 2019, 03:48 pm »
Are the USB cables the new interface uses proprietary or will any USB cables work?

I'm sure any usb cable will work.

The modular approach to DACs is becoming a trend, which is good. It's a smart way to keep up with an area of the hobby that experiences the fastest turnaround in development. Also seems like more companies are going all in on optimizing usb instead of flirting with other avenues like ethernet, etc. Ten years ago you were heretical if you said regular asynch usb sucked. Now it's common knowledge.

I've got an Asgard 3 coming, excited to compare it with other headamps.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #6 on: 29 Aug 2019, 04:33 pm »
Congrats on the new ASGARD 3 will really look forward to your impressions!!

I should have the beta Unison Board here in a few days will be interesting to try it out...

Now I am torn in buying a new Bifrost 2 or just being happy with the USB upgrade in my existing Bifrost!

Alex

fredgarvin

« Reply #7 on: 29 Aug 2019, 06:04 pm »
Jason Stoddard said on Head-Fi to think of the Bifrost2 as a Yiggy Jr. performance wise.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #8 on: 31 Aug 2019, 12:54 pm »
I have the beta board in house, installed and have several hours listening via the new Unison USB interface.

I posted my first impressions over at head-fi.

I will post more about this new interface later today I hope...

So far is a really positive experience.

Alex

fredgarvin

« Reply #9 on: 31 Aug 2019, 05:58 pm »
I have the beta board in house, installed and have several hours listening via the new Unison USB interface.

I posted my first impressions over at head-fi.

I will post more about this new interface later today I hope...

So far is a really positive experience.

Alex

I read your post over there, i wonder how much of an improvement would be apparent with loudspeakers rather than HP's. I've felt differences in DAC's are more apparent with cans. The Modi MB I use sounds better than anything I've tried in my main rig.

kmmd

« Reply #10 on: 31 Aug 2019, 10:38 pm »
I hope there will be a new Unison board that can be swapped out and installed at home for my Yggy.  The Gen 5 board was easily changed.  While you’re in there, put in a Synergistic Research Blue fuse, then sit back and enjoy.

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #11 on: 1 Sep 2019, 12:21 am »
Fred,

If I ever get motivated to start listening again to my 2 ch stereo, I will try the dac with the new Unison USB upgrade. It should be really good, I would think...

I have a set of Salk Songtowers, a Van Alstine Ultravalve Tube amp and a Van Alstine Pre-amp...

Its just so easier for me to play with headphones, as expensive as this hobby can get its miniscule compared to the 2ch stuff IMO...

I really like building stuff and seeing for my self whats good and not so good...

I am listening right now to the new Unison upgrade in my Bifrost with the Vahalla 2 and HD 600's....gosh its sooooo darn good...like I have a new set of virtual HD 800's!!

Its that good....I dont want to sound like Schitt fanboy, and I have more gear thats not Schitt ....

I did have the first ASGARD and LYR but sold them just because there were other things I wanted to try and they honeslty didnt impress me totally.

The Vahalla 2 is a magical amp hear, it mates so very well with high impedance headphones, like the Senns and Beyers...

..and the difference between the old USB interface and the Unison is startling in this combination here.

kmmd,  nice to met you on the circle...welcome. I am not into different fuses or cables etc..been down that rabbit hole years ago, rather place my bets on headphones, amps and cd's!

I think Schitt will come out with a Yggy solution, I dont know if it will be a do-it at home solution or send it back in.

I would think it would be a you can do it at home, if they can get the stuff on a board to fit the Yggy.

Heres the beta board in my Bifrost, easy to do here. Just lots of screws!

I dont know if the board I got is any different spec wise from the ones in the shipping Bifrost 2's?

Also when they announce the availablilty in Jan 2020? for Bifrost etc...if these will have any firmware changes at all
based on the end user experience in the Bifrost 2's...

Its the best USB imlementation I have ever heard..its that good.

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #12 on: 1 Sep 2019, 12:40 am »
Listing to Joni Mitchell, Dreamland, "Help Me"....

OMG good....so good....

time for a beer good!!

Alex

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #13 on: 3 Sep 2019, 12:04 pm »
Drinking a cup of Joe here and I was thinking on how good the Schitt Unison USB interface is working here and the realization came to me that the actual interface and what it is doing or not doing seems to be so much more important than the actual USB cable used.

I have never been a real believer in cables make a profound difference, having conducted many listening tests over the years with some high end systems etc. That said I am always open to new technology and trying etc..

So when I got my original Bifrost dac, it to me made a very nice differenece in that it seems it presented a more musical experience. I tested alll three inputs, USB and Optical and even used a good CD transport bypassing the PC stuff altogether. I did not hear pr perceive a real difference, this is with USB 2.0 and then along came Gen5 USB. Testing again to me no real super difference in the inputs but the convience using USB in my setup won out. (no digital outputs from the PC)...and I didnt want to buy an EITR or USB to SPDIF dongle and have more cables etc...

Then along comes this new Unison USB from Schiit. A really very noticeable and pronounced difference in the positive. Another "good" imporvement in musical presentation. So I wonder what Schitt is really doing with their new USB magic. I have some thoughts from other posters on other sites but its still guess work and we may never know due to its properitary-ness.

But whatever its doing its a step in the right direction.....

Alex

Sam-fi

« Reply #14 on: 14 Sep 2019, 02:18 pm »
Alex,
I am watching the schiit usb evolution closely  :thumb:

exciting stuff  :popcorn:

adydula

• Restricted
« Reply #15 on: 14 Sep 2019, 08:37 pm »
Sam, hello....

Its really good stuff....

Going from commercial cmedia usd stuff etc...and to Schitts Hen 2 then Gen 5 and now to their in-house with Unison...

Its pretty darn good, Mike Moffat who is the inventor here has done what I consider a superlative job with this, and for him
to state its better to him than his beloved SPDIF...means a lot to me.

But the proof to me is in the end result and listening...and here compared to the other digital outputs, the Unison is head and shoulders
alive and just so musical and nice...

If I had to buy a dac today it would be a Bifrost 2 for sure. Its in a nice affordable price range for most audiophiles and it has the new md dac chips and
Unison, better power etc...upgrade - ability etc...and even balanced.

Enjoy the hobby and save your money!

Alex