Stillpoints ERS

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #20 on: 21 Nov 2003, 11:47 pm »
Robin,
           Just a thought. What if you roll up an 8" X 11" piece of ERS and put a shrink sleeve over it. I wonder if a rolled up $20.00 piece of ERS is equivalent (or better) than the $90.00 Z-Sleeve. You have both. Why don't you experiment and let us cheapskates know.
                                                                         Paul G

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #21 on: 22 Nov 2003, 09:02 am »
Quote from: eichlerera1
Robin,
           Just a thought. What if you roll up an 8" X 11" piece of ERS and put a shrink sleeve over it. I wonder if a rolled up $20.00 piece of ERS is equivalent (or better) than the $90.00 Z-Sleeve. You have both. Why don't you experiment and let us cheapskates know.
                                                                         Paul G
                    Paul, thanks for a name. :D You reading my mind or what? As I'm sure there's a whole lot more than wrapping sheets of ERS to obtain a 10 fold increase in it's strength, I am still gonna play. But as far as cost effective, these z-sleeves are thick and at $20/$30 a sheet, we are only talking about wrapping 3-4 sheets which no way will equal the thickness or the effectiveness of a z-sleeve. I'm planning on a tweakfest on Tweaksgiving next week, I'll be tearing appart my Sunfire Theater Grand 3 processor, Sony ns-700p DVD player and my BPT BP2.5 (AGAIN). And Hantra, I for one don't plan on tweaking my breakers or dedicated outlet with ERS. But I still feel you and your friend are blowing the conductivity of ERS totally out of proportion. Does your friend feel that ERS will cause an arc? I just don't follow the logic that ERS is a hazard but the metal case that ERS is attached to is cool beans. Oh well, I wasn't gonna try it anyways. I'm gonna have a z-sleeve on my main L-9 power cord from my dedicated circuit, it's an overkill done deal anywho. :banghead: Regards, Robin

_scotty_

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #22 on: 22 Nov 2003, 10:04 am »
satfrat,  The ERS paper is conductive at the edge where the fibers are exposed. From all most any point on the edge to any other point you will measure 30ohms of resistance.  This product will short things out if improperly utilized.  A phone call to the Stillpoint people will verify this.

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #23 on: 22 Nov 2003, 10:12 am »
Quote from: _scotty_
satfrat,  The ERS paper is conductive at the edge where the fibers are exposed. From all most any point on the edge to any other point you will measure 30ohms of resistance.  This product will short things out if improperly utilized.  A phone call to the Stillpoint people will verify this.
                       Well of course it will. Who says it's not? What idiot is going to be shorting out connections with the corners, sides, front, back, or any part whatsoever of ERS? What I'm hearing from Hatra is the use of ERS inside a breaker or outlet box being a hazard because of proximity and I don't feel that's an issue. Do you? Regards, Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #24 on: 22 Nov 2003, 10:46 am »
And Scotty, another point and Im going to bed. BPT freely uses ERS in their 2400 watt power conditioner, freely enough so to cover the back sides of the Hubbel outlets. I have done the same thing to my BP2.5. Is that close enough to the action for you to realize that with care, ERS can and is used in close proximity to conductive sources? That's where it's most effective. Do you think Chris Hoff of BPT would sell a fire hazard conditioner to the public? Think about it. Nitey-nite Australia,, :wave: Regards, Robin

Hantra

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #25 on: 22 Nov 2003, 12:01 pm »
Well, as I said, I haven't tried it.  So if a few people try it, and things are okay, then I'll get my wife to do it.  hahhaahahahaahha  j/k

B

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #26 on: 22 Nov 2003, 01:43 pm »
Robin,
          I would treat one component at a time, put it back into the system and evaluate. At this early point in my experimentation, I'm not sure, but you may get too much of a good thing if you treat everything at once. Then you would be faced with the uneviable job of trying to remove the sticky-sticky paper. May be best to temporarily tape the ERS in place and if all is well, stick it on permanently.
          I would start with your DVD/CD player first. Long live ERS! Long live tubes!
                                                Paul G

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #27 on: 22 Nov 2003, 07:17 pm »
Robin,
          I would treat one component at a time, put it back into the system and evaluate. At this early point in my experimentation, I'm not sure, but you may get too much of a good thing if you treat everything at once. Then you would be faced with the uneviable job of trying to remove the sticky-sticky paper. May be best to temporarily tape the ERS in place and if all is well, stick it on permanently.
          I would start with your DVD/CD player first. Long live ERS! Long live tubes!
                                                Paul G
         I know exactly where your coming from Paul. Before I went to separates, I did up the internal casing of a Yamaha digital receiver with ERS and this receiver went from bright to brilliant. I don't toch my Butler tubeamps, but I have dne my Motorola c-band satellite reciever with excellent iprovements in both analog/digital video and digital audio. I have already done up my Sunfire Theater Grand 3 processor but plan on putting dampening sheets over the ERS as I feel it added to much to Sunfire's tube-like sound. As far as my BPT, there's 7 sheets inside that baby and 3 more on the way. I usually try the sheets on the outside of a component for a few weeks to amonth just to get an idea on what's happening before actually commiting myself to application. Thanks for the warning tho Paul as once you've applied ERS, you damn well need a scrapper to get the stuff off. :roll: Caution is advised. Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #28 on: 22 Nov 2003, 07:26 pm »
Robin,
           On your tube amps, temporarily try a piece of ERS between the transformers and the tubes. Hopefully your amp will obtain more crystaline highs and tighter bass associated with the best of solid state and still retain the magic of the tube's midrange. You'll be amazed by the difference.

Paul G

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #29 on: 22 Nov 2003, 11:13 pm »
Robin,
           On your tube amps, temporarily try a piece of ERS between the transformers and the tubes. Hopefully your amp will obtain more crystaline highs and tighter bass associated with the best of solid state and still retain the magic of the tube's midrange. You'll be amazed by the difference.

Paul G
                     Actually Paul, the reason I won't use ERS on my 2 Butler 3150 amps is that they're tube hybrid amps. The transformer is in it's own enclosure and the output wires to to each of the 3 channels per amp. Each channel has it's own analog circuit board w/ output tube. It's because of the analog circuit boards and the enclosed transformer that I'm leary of ERS here. But I do have Herbies Halo's on each tube! :D Regards, Robin

MaxCast

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #30 on: 23 Nov 2003, 01:57 pm »
If already mentioned before....please tell me again.  What goes on first, a sheet of dampening material or ERS?

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #31 on: 23 Nov 2003, 05:55 pm »
Quote from: MaxCast
If already mentioned before....please tell me again.  What goes on first, a sheet of dampening material or ERS?
                        I would want to apply the dampening sheets first on the casing that your trying to soak up the internal vibrations from. Then the ERS to fight the EMI/RFI. Anyone have a different take on this? Regards, Robin

bubba966

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #32 on: 23 Nov 2003, 06:19 pm »
I would guess that the ERS would stick to a dampening sheet better than a dampening sheet would stick to ERS. So you'd probably be better off with the dampening sheet first, then the ERS as Robin already mentioned.

byteme

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #33 on: 23 Nov 2003, 07:43 pm »
Quote from: satfrat
I would want to apply the dampening sheets first on the casing that your trying to soak up the internal vibrations from. Then the ERS to fight the EMI/RFI. Anyone have a different take on this? Regards, Robin

This is the way that I've applied it - in that order when I've done both on a component.

Tuckers

ZAP!
« Reply #34 on: 30 Nov 2003, 08:15 pm »
I have succeed in arcing with the ERS.  I made a small roll to put over AC wire of my dac.  Somehow the edge contacted the bare plugs on the AC and ZAP!  A burned hole about the size of a quarter was instantly created.  

So yes, the edges are very conductive and more dangerous than they appear. Caution is warranted.

viggen

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #35 on: 30 Nov 2003, 08:38 pm »
I've also accidentally touched something with the ERS when it was in the dackit.  It ceased to operate for a few minutes.  I just kept on unplugging and plugging the wallwart, and life resumed in the dackit.  I've since left the ERS stuff to shielding the cables and drivers.

satfrat

• Restricted
Re: ZAP!
« Reply #36 on: 30 Nov 2003, 09:36 pm »
Quote from: Tuckers
I have succeed in arcing with the ERS.  I made a small roll to put over AC wire of my dac.  Somehow the edge contacted the bare plugs on the AC and ZAP!  A burned hole about the size of a quarter was instantly created.  

So yes, the edges are very conductive and more dangerous than they appear. Caution is warranted.
                 I agree wholeheartedly. That's one reason I'll be opening up my BPT once again shoetly just to take a look at the danger places that I installed ERS, mainly around the capacitors/Hubbel duplexes. I'll tear the stuff out if I see anything I don't like. But the benefits derived from fighting EMI at it's source is worth the effort here. Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #37 on: 30 Nov 2003, 10:19 pm »
It may be a good idea to apply polyurethane or RTV to said edges.

nirmal

How to avoid electrocution while using the ERS.
« Reply #38 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:26 pm »
I know this thread has been dead for long, but I'll add my tuppence for what its worth. I used the ERS cloth (non adhesive) over the power transformers and rectifier circuits of my DAC and CD player. I cut it to shape so that It could be folded into a box which could sit over the above mentioned. I covered all the edges, and the inner surface of the box with insulation tape. You have to rub hard to make it stick. My reasoning for applying insulation on the inner surface, is that if the fit is tight, there is a chance of a wire or component on the PCB penentrating the ERS cloth. i stuck the box lightly over the appropriate part with double sided tape. Looks very neat and is very very safe. I cant imagine how sticking ERS to the innersurface of the steel chassis will make any difference to shielding, but hey if it works for anyone out there, who am I to argue.
Does installing ERS make a difference for me? I am not sure. I thought it did, but I cant be sure if I would recognise the difference in a blinded test. I am too lazy to take it out, rescrew the chassis and do a with / without comparison. It however it did not cause any ill effects, so it stays in.

Cheers,
Nirmal :D

Carlman

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #39 on: 30 Aug 2005, 06:51 pm »
Nirmal... I've done similar experiments with similar results.  I think ERS might be good if you have a problem with RFI or other noises but so far it hasn't really made much impact in my uses of it... I keep trying, though. ;)

-C