Stillpoints ERS

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« on: 19 Nov 2003, 06:20 am »
After reading the glorious review of the BPT power conditioner, I became interested in trying some of the ERS paper in my own system. I bought three 8" X 10" sheets with sticky backing. A couple of months back, Dan Wright performed his magic on my Sony DVD/SACD player. Since the ERS was supposed to be especially effective on digital components, I decided to concentrate my efforts there. I lined the interior front portion of the top cover, on and around the main transformer and placed a cantilevered piece directly over the digital board. The remaining ERS was used to partially line the sides of the input and output transformers of my VTL 225 monoblocks.
I fired the system up and let it play for an hour or so at low volume to warm up the system. I then sat down for some critical listening. I was totally unprepared for the results. Never, and I mean NEVER, has one tweek done so much! The entire presentation was drastically changed. The entire spectrum of bass, midrange and treble was tightened with tremendous new detail and intensity. The soundstage was filled with pinpoint images of each instrument in it's own space and depth. The "Jump Factor" on the transients was scary. The sound tone was decidedly more solid state yet the fabulous tube midrange still remained. After several more sessions I found I needed this hour warm up as before the system became dialed in, the sound was a bit too etched for my taste. After that hour warmup the sonics can only be described as holographic.
I would assume, based on this experience, that those of you who have systems that are highly detailed already should be judicious in the usage of this product. The ERS could push it over the edge. It appears to remove any of the euphonics that your component may have and allow the true character of the treated component come out (eg. without a carrier of RFI and EMI riding on the signal). That's my take based on my limited experience. It may work differently in your application. At any rate, I have ordered three more pieces to experiment with. This is truly a breakthrough product and one that has my highest recommendation. Good luck tweekers!

lonewolfny42

• Speakers....What Speakers ?
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #1 on: 19 Nov 2003, 09:07 am »
Would you have any pictures of your work - sounds like an excellent tweak in the making!  Thanks !!  :)

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #2 on: 19 Nov 2003, 02:12 pm »
When I get my next shipment of ERS, I intend to wrap some of it around the Sony's internal power lines. I'll take some pictures at that point. The rep from Stillpoints suggested I put a piece over my house power circuit breakers. I will report back on that result. I'm really becoming a believer in power line noise and especially EMI/RFI reduction techniques. A lot of the EMI/RFI is self generated by digital circuits, LED's etc., leading to self pollution. For a couple of hundred dollars, I can't envision a better bang for the buck. PLEASE try this people!

viggen

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #3 on: 20 Nov 2003, 01:12 am »
I've purchased a sheet with the adhesive back and a piece without.  I cut up the one without adhesive back and am using them in various places in my system.  

I cut a piece into the shape of a CD and using it as a CD mat on my top loading Parasound CDP.  This has barely noticeable effects but still using it since ... its there.  I wrapped a few strips around the connects of my powercord where it connects to the component, and this had a slightly higher degree of improvement most noticeably less grain.  All my interconnects have Eichmann connectors, and I lined these Eichmann barrels with ERS and this tremendously improved the sound in ways as Eichlerra has described.  Lastly, I cut the adhesive backed ERS into two equal pieces length wise and stuck it on the inside wall of my speaker right behind the driver.  Again, this garnered tremendous improvement too.  

In the places that did not benefit as much I think the reasons are:
-the powercord, Wolff Gaincord, is already pretty well shielded.  I just use a small piece to wrap around the connector where I think is most susceptible to EMI/RFI.  
-The CD player is already getting clean power from-Porterports->Eichmann AC->Bogdan AC->AudioMagic Stealth->Wolffcord Gaincord->Parasound CDP2000Ultra. I just thought the ERS used as a CD mat will cure any airborn interferences that might have effect on the CD since it is made of metal and the laser which might go a few microns off trajectory due to airborn interferences as well.  Just a guess.
-the interconnects are homemade tri-braided Ratshack magnetwires, so they are more susceptible to airborn interferences.  And, using the ERS within the connector's barrel, I think, absorbs the interferences before the signal enters the component.
-the driver is the Jordan JX92s within the CarolinaAudio JTM cabinet.  The aluminum driver is shielded but probably more susceptible to airborn interferences than convention paper, rubber or kevlar drivers.

I might also try the ERS on the circuit breaker as Eichlerra suggested.  Sounds like a good idea.

Addendum-Might be mindtricks, but I think the ERS's ability diminishes with use over time.  Can anyone back me up on this?

kana813

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #4 on: 20 Nov 2003, 03:07 am »
Most digital eguipment like computers use ribbon style cables to connect
different circuit board. These internal antennas pick up RF and are a good
target for ERS treatment. I used double sided grip tape instead of expensive adhesive backed ERS to cover both sides of these ribbon
cables. Results -less digital glare more music.

There similar product call TiShield made by Texas Instruments that
comes in sheets like the ERS, has anyone out tried it?

satfrat

• Restricted
  • Boston Red Sox!! 2004 / 2007 / 2013
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #5 on: 20 Nov 2003, 10:02 am »
Hi Eichlerera, it's good to hear from you again. I'd like to bring to your attention another ERS-based product that has just surfaced. It's Z-Sleeves from Zcable, an 8" long sleeve of concentrated ERS that totally negates EMI/RFI. Z-Sleeves are said to be 10 times more effective than ERS. It's so effective that Chris Hoff replaced the Bybees in his new flagship Signature conditioner with a custom made Z-sleeve. This in itself gives me reason to want to check it out. My order is in. Just thought I'd throw it out there. :wink: Regards, Robin

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #6 on: 20 Nov 2003, 02:11 pm »
Robin,
          I did indeed see this product when I read the BPT review. If you only ordered one section, where do you intend to use it?
          A couple of other tweeks I've been experimenting with are shunt capacitance across input power lines (eg. Enacom, Blue Circle BC86). They have been of benefit (although not as drastic as the ERS). A very nice one to try is the Enacom unit which goes in parallel with your speaker inputs.
           There are several of the  ferrite clamps in my system. I've ordered a couple dozen more. I will be adding this throughout the audio chain until detrimental effects occur (if ever, it seems I can't get enough of EMI/RFI suppression).
            Go to Dave Magnan's website and check out his suggested tweeks. He is pretty spot on in his assessments.

Hantra

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #7 on: 20 Nov 2003, 04:13 pm »
Where are people getting their ERS?  I am wondering if there may be any place cheaper than another.  I got my first batch from Cryotweaks, and I am ready for the second!

Thanks!

B

bubba966

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #8 on: 20 Nov 2003, 04:24 pm »
Percy Audio lists the ERS at the same $19.95/sheet price (non-adhesive).

But they are offering free shipping for 2+ sheets, as well as a buy 9 get 1 free deal.

I see no mention of the adhesive ERS sheets or the tape though.

bubba966

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #9 on: 20 Nov 2003, 04:33 pm »
Quote from: kana813
There similar product call TiShield made by Texas Instruments that
comes in sheets like the ERS, has anyone out tried it?

I've got no experience with TI Shield. But it's a copper/alloy/copper sandwich. So it's not as flexible as ERS is. Which would give ERS an advantage in terms of possible applications.

It's also not adhesive backed.

It's more expensive than ERS.

It only blocks EMI/RFI, while ERS blocks & absorbs EMI/RFI.

The only thing I see that TI Shield has over ERS is the ability to be used as mechanical dampening as well as EMI/RFI blocking. I suppose you could take something like Dynamat Xtreme, apply it, then peel off the aluminum layer of the Dynamat & replace it with TI Shield. That'd be horrendously expensive (and a pain in the ass), but might work quite well.

I'd like to add that I've not any exposure to either ERS or TI Shield with the exception of a digital cable I had made that was completely wrapped with ERS tape. So I've not applied either myself, and have had limited personal experience with ERS.

cryotweaks

• Funny name. Serious audio.
    • TweekGeek.com
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #10 on: 20 Nov 2003, 04:41 pm »
Regarding pricing of ERS, Stillpoints strictly enforces their msrp, so you won't find any discounting.  The best we retailers can do is offer free shipping.

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #11 on: 21 Nov 2003, 05:54 am »
Quote from: bubba966
Percy Audio lists the ERS at the same $19.95/sheet price (non-adhesive).

But they are offering free shipping for 2+ sheets, as well as a buy 9 get 1 free deal.

I see no mention of the adhesive ERS sheets or the tape though.
                    Cryotweaks sells both sheets and tape with no shipping charges period. Best deal going IMHO. Regards, Robin

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #12 on: 21 Nov 2003, 06:05 am »
Quote from: eichlerera1
Robin,
          I did indeed see this product when I read the BPT review. If you only ordered one section, where do you intend to use it?
          A couple of other tweeks I've been experimenting with are shunt capacitance across input power lines (eg. Enacom, Blue Circle BC86). They have been of benefit (although not as drastic as the ERS). A very nice one to try is the Enacom unit which goes in parallel with your speaker inputs.
           There are several of the  ferrite clamps in my system. I've ...
                        Personally I don't like the use of ferrite clamps on the signal but to each there own, good luck. The z-sleeves are completely passive and don't mess with the signal like magnets can. I plan onusing the z-sleeve on my L-9 Litz power cord going into my BP2.5. It should be a good test as I have Bybees both before and after the tranny alon with everthing else that has been done to the conditioner. If the z-sleeve shows it's positive effects there, it's a no brainer that they would make an even bigger impact elsewhere were the action is,,, digital, IC, speaker cables. But at this point in time, I'm only getting one. I'll be letting you know as it's always a pleasure talking audio with ya. Regards, Robin

Hantra

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #13 on: 21 Nov 2003, 02:50 pm »
By the way guys. . .

A little birdie told me NOT to use ERS on the breaker box.  Even on the door.  Just don't do it.  Remember it's CONDUCTIVE.  

I'm glad I got word before I tried it myself. . .

eichlerera1

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #14 on: 21 Nov 2003, 04:38 pm »
I appreciate your warning. My breaker cover is 1" away from the actual circuit breakers. Actually, just the exposed, cut edges are conductive. The ERS backing glue that is used is especially tenacious so if the tweek works and I decide to keep it in place, I don't believe it can short anything out. Nes pas?

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #15 on: 21 Nov 2003, 06:59 pm »
I think Hantra's bird was a safety eagle. ERS is just as conductive inside a component, only difference is the amount of votage here. Safely applied, ERS is just as safe inside a circuit breaker or an outlet. Just us care and common sense and I personally don't see the problem. This adhesive don't come loose. comprende vou? Regards, Robin

bubba966

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #16 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:09 pm »
There's certainly nothing preventing you from putting it on the outside of the breaker box...

satfrat

• Restricted
Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #17 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:13 pm »
True, but I feel ERS would be more effective at the EMI source. Of course for the weak of heart, your suggestion is much more safe. :D REgards, Robin

Hantra

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #18 on: 21 Nov 2003, 07:18 pm »
I think Hantra's bird was a safety eagle.

Actually guys, if I thought he was just being prudent, and hadn't actually TRIED it, I wouldn't have posted on the thread to warn.  The actual quote was something like: I did try it on the breaker box, and I don't recommend doing it because I found out just how conductive ERS really is!". . .

Just telling you what I heard from a guy who knows lots about ERS. . .

I'm just trying to help out the audio industry b/c the more audiophiles that get ZAPPED, the less gear people will buy, and that hurts all of us. .   :wink:

Gordy

Stillpoints ERS
« Reply #19 on: 21 Nov 2003, 08:04 pm »
Sealing the edges with shipping tape or enclosing the paper in a freezer bag works well to protect equipment and yourself when in doubt...