A new spin on record playing

Russell Dawkins

Letitroll98

• Volunteer
  • Too loud is just right
Re: A new spin on record playing
« Reply #1 on: 7 Feb 2017, 09:11 am »
I wonder what the tracking weight is, 2lb?  Even with as much plastic as possible it's got to be at least a couple of ounces.  Perhaps they have some kind of counter weight attached.  And how robust would the speed sensors and drive control be?  Would the thing actually track record warps?  I'll stop there, but still a zillion questions.  Looks like a kid's toy for $600 retail, nearly half of that on Kickstarter, but still.

S Clark

• a riot is the language of the unheard- Dr. King
« Reply #2 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:08 pm »
  Looks like a kid's toy for $600 retail, nearly half of that on Kickstarter, but still.
For those that "think" they want to play vinyl.  Half will show up available "used" within three years. 

decal

« Reply #3 on: 7 Feb 2017, 02:55 pm »
Just another gimmick in an industry filled with them. My opinion, nothing more.

jsm71

« Reply #4 on: 8 Feb 2017, 06:18 pm »
The basic moving parts in turntable design don't need to be completely re-thought.  Maybe we should mount our toothbrushes on the wall and simply shake our heads back and forth across the brushes!  Anybody with me on this?

Russell Dawkins

« Reply #5 on: 8 Feb 2017, 06:48 pm »
I agree with the wrong-headedness of this.

It would make some sense if it was autonomous  and could simply be placed on a record on a flat surface, but once the requirement is added of a base (which turns the arm) this advantage vaporizes and it becomes a needlessly backwards turntable. The ability to go straight to a track is handy, but more interesting than all of this would be a cheap version of a turntable that already does this—a laser turntable like the ELP.

It's amazing what can generate $384,000 of pledges.

Minn Mark

« Reply #6 on: 9 Feb 2017, 02:53 pm »
Crap. 

Just one man's opinion.

Wow, that felt good.

Mark

Tone Depth

• Music Lover
    • SRLPE Wheel Works

Hank

• http://www.geocities.com/hankbond1/index
« Reply #8 on: 9 Feb 2017, 06:26 pm »
WOW!  This new machine improves output to 99% versus the original record presses out put of 60% to 70%.  What a cost reduction that is for the pressing plant.  I'm not naieve enough to think the big labels will pass on the cost reduction to consumers though :roll:

undertowogt1

« Reply #9 on: 10 Feb 2017, 01:48 am »
I said eewwwwww out loud and cringed as soon as the smart phone came out. :o