More Alpha Center pics...

azryan

« on: 29 Feb 2004, 04:43 am »
http://home.earthlink.net/~azstrehlow/alphacenter1.html

Getting pretty close to done. All the hard parts are done.

The only tricky thing now is the woofer volume. It's looking like it's about 1.5 cu. ft. and .635-1 is optimal.

The prob. is I don't want the woofers on the end too close to the back of the cabinet, but then it gives all the rest of the woofers much more space than needed.

I'm just trying to think about the best way to fill up about a third or more of volume in there.

_scotty_

« Reply #1 on: 29 Feb 2004, 06:59 am »
AZryan, try using a block or two of styrofoam to take up the space.It can be cut to precisely the correct volume. It isn't air and doesn't absorb the sound waves.  Hit the right internal volume and then use the appropriate amount of damping material. This is an old DIYer trick for when you make the box to big or change to drivers that need a different size box.

azryan

« Reply #2 on: 29 Feb 2004, 05:06 pm »
Hey thanks! I was actually thinking of styrofoam 'cuz it's so lightweight and easy to shape nice and rounded too.

I wasn't sure if it would totally act as a solid though. Seems like it would.

I need space for the x-over so I think I'll try to put in two sections of it. I know Danny's very much in favor of Black Hole 5 damping which are thick sheets that bond to the MDF walls. With the styrofoam in there I think it might be a waste to attach BH5 to that?

_scotty_

« Reply #3 on: 1 Mar 2004, 02:32 am »
azryan, is this a sealed or vented system. If it is vented, you may need a combination of blackhole and styrofoam. The styrofoam would help you  hit your target volume for a vented alignment and the blackhole would help damp out any resonances in the midrange. If it is a sealed system
your internal volume will be less critical. If you don't need the very last bit of bass extension you could use an aperiodic enclosure. I would experiment if you can and see which box design gives you the best speech intelligibility as this is the most critical performance parameter
of a center channel speaker. Good luck with your project. Scotty

azryan

« Reply #4 on: 1 Mar 2004, 09:59 pm »
Thanks... it's a sealed design.

Much of the design is from Danny's own suggestions which were posted on another thread.
I'm just trying to 'do what he said'. I don't claim at ALL to be a speaker designer myself -I just 'know some stuff' hehe.

He mentioned himself about volume not being so critical being a seal enclosure but he had originally said .635 cu. ft. and then said 1 cu. ft. would be fine too.

Since I'm looking at about 1.5 cu. ft. I'm thinking that's something I should at least cut down to 1. Shouldn't be too hard though.

Danny Richie

Air volume
« Reply #5 on: 3 Mar 2004, 12:58 am »
Don't worry about the added volume.

I'll test it when it gets here and make any adjustment.

azryan

« Reply #6 on: 3 Mar 2004, 09:18 pm »
That's great!

I just PM'ed you too, but... do you want me to make a hole in the solid woofer/neo divider plate for you to put speaker wire through?
I'd think I'd have to 'cuz you couldn't drill a hole in there after it was all put together.

It was the little things like that have have stalled me finishing it all up. I've been at ~95% done for a while now.